BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Car Chemistry Inserts 3" 3 ring

Post Thanks / Like

Car Chemistry Inserts 3" 3 ring

Today I cut my pipes and inserted a 3" x 3 ring Car Chemistry insert. I installed the inserts with the cap(with the hole in it) on the inlet side, and packed the disks with steel wool.

Some photos.
    time to weld.jpginsertIn.jpgcut.jpginsidepipe2.jpgpipe-insert.jpg

Results dB (no doors or body on car)

------------------------NO INSERTS-------------------INSERTS
    --------------------min---avg---max------------min---avg---max-----------------AVG Difference
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    in car idle ----------81----89-----106------------ 84-----88----100-------------------- -1 dB
    in car 2000rpm----87-----100----115------------ 88----- 93--- 112 ------------------- -7 dB
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    side of car---------76------90----102 -------------86-----92----109 ----------------- +2 dB (lumpy cam?)
    side 2000rpm-----87------100-----115----------- 87-----88----90------------------- -7 dB
    rear of car----------79----- 86 ----89-------------83----- 86--- 88--------------------- 0 dB
    rear 2000rpm------89------100---115------------85----- 87--- 95-------------------- -7 dB

I have a set of 2.5" inserts on the way, I may attempt to put them in the j-pipes with no packing or cap
    10 years after my roadster build....
    289 FIA (pickup 28/08/20 if covid permits)
    currently building a 289 and accumulating parts needed to finish a Canadian Kit.

2. Thanks Chainsaw thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update: I added 2.5" inserts to the bottom of the j-pipes, no caps or wool.
    The numbers may not seem different but I assure you the car is much quieter.
    It is still a great sound, with lots of bass, but I find the car is now comfortable to be around.

see attached

exhaust.jpg
    10 years after my roadster build....
    289 FIA (pickup 28/08/20 if covid permits)
    currently building a 289 and accumulating parts needed to finish a Canadian Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put a set in my J-pipes because the 289 side pipes almost seem like straight pipes with no muffler, and the sound was unbearable. I used a ceramic cloth muffler packing material instead of the steel wool, and they made all the difference in the world.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

5. Likes OttawaFFRer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
    I put a set in my J-pipes because the 289 side pipes almost seem like straight pipes with no muffler, and the sound was unbearable. I used a ceramic cloth muffler packing material instead of the steel wool, and they made all the difference in the world.
    Was this with the “normal” 3” side pipes? Just clarifying to better understand my options. I really like the Boig pipes, but the price is steeper than I’d like.
    Jack
    289 Roadster complete kit ordered 8/2/21. Delivered 3/14/2022. Chassis #10306. 17"x9" Halibrands, 3.55 IRS, PS, Wilwood brakes, BPE 306 with EFI and close ratio TKX. First start 7/20/2023. First Movement 9/24/2023. First go-kart 9/25/2023.
    Build thread - https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...rida-289-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    For me it went into the J pipes. Honestly don't remember the size of the J pipe, 2-1/2 or 3". I'd have to find the receipt for the CC inserts. I do remember that the end of the j pipe is not a straight in proposition. When I finally got the nerve to go through with the installation, I had to pound them in to get them past the slight bend at the end of the pipe. At that point I was just hoping that they didn't cause a severe power loss or restriction. Once they were in the hardest part was drilling a hole to put a stainless screw through to hold them in place. Not that they were going anywhere!
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

8. Thanks Chainsaw thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Another option for the 3.0" and 3.5" pipes is using an Auger Insert.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Searc...uger%20muffler