FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: 6"

Post Thanks / Like

6"

+21 = 27"

Got the windshield installed today and wanted to distill what I learned from other threads and my n of 1:

1) marked the midline of the medial aspect of the bars.
    2) If you wanna make life easier: drop the fuse array
    3) had to insert the bars in a more vertical orientation to clear DS frame (note: previously cut 3/4" deeper in the PS firewall extension), then angle back and insert to get windshield to body
    4) once seated, had son (you can rent mine if you don't have one) hold door in place (prob not necessary if you just measure in the vicinity) and measured the 27". Turns out the mid-line previously marked was pretty close. Held in place with a vice and marked the holes.
    5) this was not intuitive, but trusted the other posts here - ie the Jeffs and Everson - and transposed the inferior circles I drew to the midline. It was about a 5mm move.
    6) Did the tapping of the holes instead of just drilling - it was easy, so do it. 27/64 drill, 1/2-13 tap.
    7) windshield re-installed and used FFR provided bolts. Then added nylock nuts for suspenders.
    8) added 2, 1/2" washers to the DS gap from bar to frame to avoid torquing it.

Note: the FFR school and some threads talk about amputating a certain amount from the arms. That was not needed in my build. I suggest avoiding an irreversible issue until you verify.

Re-measured after install....6+21 = 27"

Windshield In.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure this whole thread will make more sense to me when I start messing with my windshield.
    Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MB750 View Post
    I'm sure this whole thread will make more sense to me when I start messing with my windshield.
    Reach out when there.

4. Likes MB750 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    On #5, does the transpose occur in a horizontal manner, parallel to the imaginary line their centers are on, or something else?
    MK4, 427LS3, IRS, T56 Magnum, Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Its Bruce View Post
    On #5, does the transpose occur in a horizontal manner, parallel to the imaginary line their centers are on, or something else?
    I drew 2 lines perpendicular to the bar proximal and distal ends of the original circle, then marked the mid point.

At the movies, can do an illustration later

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Its Bruce View Post
    I am sure there is a better way, but poor man's version attached. Let me know if it helps...or if it doesn't.

j

‎Windshield marking illustration.‎1.jpeg

Note: accidentally wrote "mirror" instead of windshield in the text of the attachment
    Last edited by scrubs; 07-09-2023 at 10:52 AM.

8. Thanks Its Bruce thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You've explained it like I'm a 5 year old, and I love it.
    MK4, 427LS3, IRS, T56 Magnum, Wilwoods

10. Likes scrubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good job scrubs! It took me two days to get everything right. I ended up cutting off some of the bottom like recommended on prior threads but I think I could have gotten away with not cutting anything. I think they might have changed vendors over the years with slight changes. Also a lot of the fitment for me was making sure I did not have the arms putting stress on the glass. I knew it was going to be a slow process and just embraced the suck for that part
    FFR MK4 Roadster (9945) complete kit, delivered 12/4/2020, First start and go kart 5/7/2021. Legal 8/14/2021, Paint finished 7/18/2022 (Viking Blue). 347BPE CI, TKO600, Moser 8.8 3link 3.55, Halibrand 17x9 17x10.5, power steering. Carbon Fiber Dash. Carbon Fiber trans tunnel, adjustable Kirkey Lowback Vintage seats, Vintage gauges, RT drop trunk mod, FFmetal drop battery mod and trans tunnel, Forte front sway bar. Forte mechanical throttle linkage, RT gas pedal. www.covespringsfarm.com

12. Thanks scrubs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For others like me that are still scratching their heads, my advice is don't freak out or over think this.

1. Assemble the windshield and set it on the car.

2. I made a brace from some scrap lumber that sat in the top center of the windshield to the cowl edge at the rear of the cockpit. Adjust the length of the brace to get the 27" measurement per the manual. My windshield frame (center-top) is 33.5" from the rear cockpit cowl edge.

3. Make sure the posts are covering the holes in the frame Mounts on both sides of the car.

4. Use a Sharpie to mark the position of the holes on the posts by simply scribing through the frame hole onto the post.

5. Remove the windshield and drill/tap as you choose in the center of the scribed marks.

6. When installing the bolts, use washers to take up any gap between the frame mounts and the posts.

7. Enjoy an adult beverage!

Last edited by Papa; 07-10-2023 at 01:05 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I would add is once it is mocked up, sit in the car. I didn't do that and after install I discovered that it would have been better to cheat the windshied an inch up so I'm not starting eye level with the windshield frame.

Installation was pretty easy (it was something I was dreading) but, I would have cheated it an inch up.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle