Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote Intake - Will it fit?

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote Intake - Will it fit?

Hello all,

I'm playing a Type 65 build, and I've decided to go Gen III Coyote (standard Type 65, not R). I found this Holley intake, but I'm not sure if it will fit under the hood:

Holley "Ultra Lo-Ram" Ford Coyote

https://www.holley.com/products/engine/intake_manifolds/efi_intake_manifolds/cast/ultra_lo-ram_intake_manifolds/parts/300-912

I know Factory Five did a Type 65 Coupe-R with Snap-On that had the Coyote 52XS crate in it (red car with white stripes); that motors runs the Cobra Jet Intake. The Holley intake I listed above claims it is 19.4mm lower in the front and 42.6mm lower in the rear than the Cobra Jet, suggesting that this intake can be used in a production Mustang with the factory motor mounts. I think this intake will fit; unless the Type R has a bigger hood (I don't think so?). Does this seem sound, or is this intake too tall for a Type 65?

Also, do I need it? Of course not, but it looks cool (to me anyway).

Thanks!
    FFR MKIV 8309, FMS 306 Crate w/Edelbrock EFI, T5, 3.55 Three Link, Wilwood Brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that intake has quite a price associated with it. In the manufacturers data, I see nothing about the manifolds affect on HP or torque. So other than being different, what benefit were you looking for from this product?
    I would be interesting to see this manifold go up against the Gen 3 Coyote intake, as it has been shown to be the best performing of the OEM Coyote intakes. Without numbers, it appears to be just a cool factor thing.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alan,

I agree, in terms of performance there are no claims. The gen3 stock intake is very good, to the point it's an upgrade for older motors. However, it is possible to run a larger throttle body, an 87mm GT350 TB or even a GT500 TB so there probably is more airflow. How much this would really impact it, I don't know. I saw this article on Motortrend comparing various Ford intakes on the Gen3 coyote, it supports your feeling about performance. https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/dy...n-gen-3-crate/

My real motivation is the appearance; for me this would like the Coyote look a bit better when you pop the hood; just my personal opinion.

It is expensive, but these cars are already fairly expensive to built. For reference the Cobra Jet intake from FMS is over $1100, so I don't think it's off the charts. A Boss 302 intake is quiet a bit cheaper, but that would defiantly be for looks only as it would negatively impact performance.

-Brandon
    FFR MKIV 8309, FMS 306 Crate w/Edelbrock EFI, T5, 3.55 Three Link, Wilwood Brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Chopper on this. If you show your car and want Coyote eye candy when you open the hood, you pretty much have to "upgrade" the intake manifold. Yes, some people like EdwardB have done an amazing job of dressing up their shrouds, but my guess is that he probably spent as much money in paint and prep as it costs for this intake (maybe he can confirm/deny).

Sure, you can go cheaper than this with a welded sheet metal manifold, but I've heard some voice concerns of them imploding (probably not likely, but who want's to toy with it?). I spent $300+ on a SS dressup kit for the stock engine shroud, but it still looks cheap, and I wish I would have just saved the money and bought a better looking intake manifold.

That being said, I have no idea if it will fit. I would err on the side of it not fitting— there isn't much room. But anything is possible.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 07-11-2023 at 11:17 PM.
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want bling for a Coyote, nothing impresses more than a stack injection system.
    Here is a picture of a guys Mustang on VMF where he has fitted a Innov8 8-stack system on his 5.2L XS engine.

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/cdn-...3-jpeg.875454/
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamacaroon View Post
    I'm with Chopper on this. If you show your car and want Coyote eye candy when you open the hood, you pretty much have to "upgrade" the intake manifold. Yes, some people like EdwardB have done an amazing job of dressing up their shrouds, but my guess is that he probably spent as much money in paint and prep as it costs for this intake (maybe he can confirm/deny).
    Don't think so. Used a stock Gen 3 cover, cut most of the ugly off, added parts fabricated and assembled in my home shop, and painted along with the rest of the car. Can't verify the added cost for the paint, but they did it along with everything else so just a few extra passes on the cover at each step. Very confident I'm nowhere near the cost of a different intake. Plus stayed away from modification and performance issues by staying stock. I know this isn't for everyone and takes some effort. But a stock Coyote, including the Gen 3, can be cleaned up to be visually acceptable IMO and can't argue with how it runs and performs. Personally, I wouldn't make a major change like changing the intake for cosmetic reasons only.

Last edited by edwardb; 07-12-2023 at 05:45 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
    If you want bling for a Coyote, nothing impresses more than a stack injection system.
    Here is a picture of a guys Mustang on VMF where he has fitted a Innov8 8-stack system on his 5.2L XS engine.

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/cdn-...3-jpeg.875454/
    Oh hell yes. This is the dream... but don't feel like taking out a second mortgage. One problem in my research is that most of the ITB stacks for the Coyote require you to ditch the drive by wire and move to cable. But there are a couple out there now that are servo-based. I've also heard that the stock PCM/ECU isn't capable of being tuned with the ITBs, so you have completely gut the computer and start over from scratch. Definitely not for the feint of heart.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 07-12-2023 at 12:36 PM.
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah if only money wasn't an obstacle. I once dreamed of stack injection for mine, but so much other scope creep in the project said not in this lifetime.
    The guy whose car I showed in the picture has to have deep pockets but his build is sure fun to follow. I have to get my build running and driving before I can ever think about the wish list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for all the input.

To try and answer the "will it fit" question, while no certainly...I see Erik Treves has a similar intake in his Blackhawk coupe. Yes, I know he's pushing a lot of power with the turbo setup. I am thinking this intake would fit, although it would be close. Between Treves' car and the Snap on Car, it looks promising.

The reality for power adders in the coupe is, if running the classic double side pipes, that may be the limiting factor. I saw an article interviewing Karen Salvaggio on coupe #2 where she claimed that they were costing her about 70hp according to the dyno. Granted these are the FFR pipes and not Gas-N, but I think that four to two reduction may be a pinch point.