Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Moving from MA to NH, impact on registering Cobra

Post Thanks / Like

Moving from MA to NH, impact on registering Cobra

In order to register my Cobra in MA, I had to buy a crusher and take it off the road. Then MA would let me register the Cobra to be emissions exempt (their theory is I took a polluter off the road and that allowed me to put on back on). They wouldn't register the Cobra as a '65, but rather came up with a new VIN and called it a 2013 since that's when the original build was completed.

I'm not moving to NH and unsure how they will treat/classify the Cobra. It has a Coyote motor with no cats. Is it possible to get NH to view/register the car as a '65 so I don't have to worry about emissions?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Do a Google search such as replica vehicle registration in NH. I live in Mass and all the info on the state site came up for me here. I'm sure they don't have the same arcane rules up there.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have customers in NH. Its one of the easiest states to register. You shouldnt have any problems.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    If John42 sees this post I know he has a couple of tricks to use at the DMV.

Dave.
    MK4 Complete kit FFR9939. Gen 1 Coyote, Tremec 3650, IRS 3.31 ratio, Breeze radiator stuff, Breeze cubby and battery mount, North Race Cars heat and A/C, RT drop trunk kit, Replica Parts radiator aluminum and brake booster spacer, FFR soft top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey... NH is crazy easy to register a new build in. However, you are coming from another state and already have a registration and title. That will be a different scenario then what I have gone through and have worked with a few others on registering a new build. New Hampshire registers these as a model/year of the car it replicates. For example mine (and other new builds) according to NH are 1965 Shelby Cobras. We can get 2 year antique plates and only have to do inspections every 2 years. The inspection consist of, does it have headlights? brake lights? Blinkers and a rear license plate light... that's it. No emission, smog, nothing.. They don't care. The also look over the car in a general make sure it isn't falling apart. Never once has anybody opened the hood to see what motor I have. They didn't ask and I didn't tell them.

For you coming from MA and already being registered as a 2013 and have a vin that is registered that way, it may be completely different for you. However, if you passed MA inspections then NH should be a total breeze. Personally, I'd make an attempt at playing dumb and trying to say nicely that MA misclassified it and it should be a 1965. Several have used my license plate as an "example" to the registry of what it should be. So far the people at the registry look up mine and just copy and paste it and call it done. Mine is "-SNAKE" That's a dash in the front. Another guy in my town has "+SNAKE". Another has "+SNAKE+" Lol.
    MK3 Challenge Car, Boss 347, Sniper 2 EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the input/advise.

john42 is correct, I already have a VIN when I registered the Cobra in MA. My concern has to do with emissions requirements. In MA I got around that by buying a pre 73 V8 car (aka a polluter) and having it taken off the road. MA would then allow me to put a car on the road without catalytic converters and other emissions hardware. But MA put 2013 on the title and if that carries over in NH I think they are going to emissions test the car (and it won't pass).

So it sounds like the best plan is to play dumb and see if they will call it a 1965. Hopefully pointing them to the -SNAKE example will help.

Thank you