Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hubs

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Hubs

Ok, laugh if you must. I mounted the hubs and brakes last night then woke up about 3:00 a.m. thinking, "were the hubs pre-greased or should I have greased the bearings before I installed them?" Do I have to set the torque wrench to 235 again?

Ashamed,

Mike Nott
    33 Hot Rod #376
    "No matter where you go, there you are."

Post Thanks / Like
    The sealed bearings are permanently lubed by the manufacturer.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Jeff. On to the steering.

Mike
    33 Hot Rod #376

Post Thanks / Like
    The hubs I recieved with my kit where not sealed bearings and needed to be greased before installing.They where national brand included with a complete kit for a Mark IV .
    Anniversary Special,Dart Aluminum 427, AFR 225 outlaw heads,Howard Cams,Hillborn stack injection,Liberty Gears prepedTKO600, Five Link, ISIS Wiring,8.98 @151 with no power adders Photo album HTTP://photobucket.com/anniversary-car

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Gopher,

Sounds like I'd better pull them off and get out the grease. Mine weren't sealed. Not a big deal. I'm pretty well on hold until I find a differential.

Mike
    33 Hot Rod #376

Post Thanks / Like
    The hubs that come in the FFR complete kits are seald bearings and do not require additional grease.

Best regards,
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Brian.

Mike
    33 Hot Rod #376

Post Thanks / Like
    Brain the one sent to me in the anniversary kit ARE NOT SEALED they were three pieces lower race caged bearings and upper race .They are nation brand if you want photo's I can send them to you and if mine are'nt sealed did you send me the wrong ones?
    Anniversary Special,Dart Aluminum 427, AFR 225 outlaw heads,Howard Cams,Hillborn stack injection,Liberty Gears prepedTKO600, Five Link, ISIS Wiring,8.98 @151 with no power adders Photo album HTTP://photobucket.com/anniversary-car

Post Thanks / Like
    As you can see this is a three piece bearing.This is not a sealed bearing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What Gopher has is different than the Ford hub, the Ford one's are made by KOYO, and have the KOYO label on the back side of the hub. These are National, according to the picture, and while some may say that they are not the same as the FORD/KOTO hub, I see the advantage of them being easier to dissemble to repack than the FORD/KOYO hubs. Just check and make sure which ones you have, and pack if necessary.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes No, Yes No..
    I think I am better off with the old fox style bearings, least I know 100% they needed packing..

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the fact I can regrease mine when pulling matinance on the front end before a race or track day.

Post Thanks / Like
    The question I would have is do the non sealed bearings still get torqued to 250 ft lbs like the ford units

Post Thanks / Like
    The bearings that we send with the complete kit are not designed to be greased. You are not supposed to take the hub apart. DO NOT ADD GREASE!

They should still be tourqued to 230-250lb ft.

Donor 1987-1993 mustang parts require additional greasing.

Best regards,
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

Post Thanks / Like
    Then you need to send me replacement hubs because they were apart in the box with instructions to grease before installing and torque to 250 lbs.With what your saying the one I got are the wrong ones and will need to be replaced.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gopher,
    Do you have a part number off the box for the hubs?
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    No I don't anymore they were mocked up in July and now the car is back apart so the frame could be blasted and repowder coated.I just got the frame back and am starting assembly again. I did not keep the boxes but they were very dusty like they had sat around for quite awhile.There were in a National box.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I was able to see the part number from your third picture above, it is 513115 which is the correct part. These are the replacement spec'd hub assemblies from Moog (National brand is same company) for a 1994-2004 Mustang. I have never seen one that required additional grease but if yours came with instruction to do so then I would go ahead and do it, the ones we have one the shelf here do not say to do that but they are the same part as yours. Either way they all fit on the newer stepped style spindle and need to be torqued to 230-250 ft-lbs.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Thanks