Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kirby's MKIV Coyote Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Anytime. I'm home for the duration.
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of updates. Thanks to Greg for pointing out some issues with the front end assembly. I have everything corrected and reassembled (with the exception of the upper ball joints). I also trimmed the UCA arms in the back as suggested in other threads, I hated doing it but a half hour with a dremel and a sander and they cam out fine.

The old ball joints pinched and created tears due to the incorrect installation.
    Front Boots.jpg

New upper ball joint boots are on Order. Corrected front end assembly??
    IMG_20231207_192417920.jpgIMG_20231207_192410767.jpg

I have the dash re assembled and everything wired in. After completing this the horns quit working. I naturally went back through the dash assuming I had somehow messed this up.... No change after reassembly.

I finally (after an hour or so) chased this to a bad ground in the Ron Francis harness. The leg for the horn ground was not soldered well to the ground in the front harness. I ended up just grounding the horns directly and removing the leg as it allowed me so insulate the main ground wire better.
    Bad Ground Hord.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kirby; 12-08-2023 at 06:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Upper control arms look good. These pics are before you shaved the rear adjuster sleeve? Also, I think your pivot arms that connect to your tie rods (or whatever they are called) need to point outward, not inward. Here's mine:

Screenshot 2023-12-08 145907.png
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranham View Post
    Upper control arms look good. These pics are before you shaved the rear adjuster sleeve? Also, I think your pivot arms that connect to your tie rods (or whatever they are called) need to point outward, not inward. Here's mine:

Screenshot 2023-12-08 145907.png
    I had the wrong photos. Correct ones now attached

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kirby View Post
    I had the wrong photos. Correct ones now attached
    Looks good, Don! Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Trunk metal in!!! Thanks Greg for confirming that the manual and current shipped parts vary
    IMG_20231210_144053748.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    How time fly's. I have been lacking in updates for the last couple of months.

Heated Pads placed in seats. These were super simple to do and turned out great. I purchased them from another member here who did not use them.

Clutch Cable Adjusted and working like it should

Brakes bled.

All Dash Wiring is Finished

Both Roll Bars drilled and in Place. I bought the kit used and the drivers roll bar has a gap of about 1/8" where the back leg meets the stub from the hoop. I tried everything (short of grinding and rechroming)but it will have to stay how it is.

roll bars.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I also temporarily mounted the side pipes in preparation for my first go kart drive.

IMG_20240203_144157584_HDR.jpgIMG_20240203_145155326_HDR.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Then the first drive!!!! And it all went wrong from here

First Ride.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    What went wrong!!

This is embarrassing but hopefully saves someone else the trouble later. We drove the car maybe 1/4 mile down the street. I pushed the clutch in and immediately knew something was wrong. The car pulled to a halt as if the brakes were on. So we flipped around and went back to the house.

By the time we got to the house the rear brakes were almost locked up and were obviously not working like they should.

After pushing, pulling and using jacks and dollies I got the car back on the lift to dig in.

Rear Brakes were extremely hot (like 200+ Degrees). Pulled the tires and let everything cool down
    Last edited by kirby; 03-04-2024 at 12:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Problem!!

I had relied on the previous builder to set the wilwood pedal box up and took it for granted that it was correct because I did not fully understand it myself. I had went over the rest of the car step by step but did not look at the pedal box setup. I should have and was very lucky to not have a bigger issue or tear somethin up.

Upon further inspection and with some quick help from the forum I realized that the master cylinder rods had not been trimmed and that the rear brakes were not releasing.

The rear brake master cylinder was not traveling enough to release the pressure after I hit the brakes at the end of the driveway.

I worked backwards and pulled the rear calipers, pads, e brake setup.

Then pulled the balance bar setup to loosen the pressure on the master cylinder.

I was able to trim the rods to the correct length put everything back together.

I was then able to take both my kids and my wife for a ride. We put about 5 miles on it this weekend with no other issues. I am extremely excited for this step in the build.
    Last edited by kirby; 03-04-2024 at 01:02 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12