Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 289 USRRC Body Fitment Question

Post Thanks / Like

289 USRRC Body Fitment Question

A question for the 289 builders. I've mounted the body on the frame a couple times now and it seems to sit well on the aluminum and bulb seals. Doors, hood, trunk all trimmed and line up well. Where I have a concern is on the drivers side at the dash support bar to underside of body clearance. The passenger side seems to have about 1/2" clear like is described for the MK 4 427 body. The drivers side is tighter with roughly 3/16" of clearance with everything else fitting about as expected. If other builders have the 1/2" of clearance here, I'm going to keep trying to figure out what's going on. If this is typical, I'm ready to move on.
    Thanks.
    Lars
    Novice Build: 289 USRRC Complete Kit #10524, 3rd Gen Coyote, TKX, IRS, 17" Halibrands, Wilwood Brakes, Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    The one I am working on now was actually touching on the driver side. I knocked it down some with a dead blow hammer. I suspect its a welding issue rather than a fitment issue.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike. That is good to hear. It wasn't touching so I moved past it and think it will be fine. A couple other fitment issues I faced were that the quick jack holes in the front of the chassis seem too high to correctly fit the body. I couldn't get the sides to tuck under the frame without lowering the nose about 5/8". This also corrected some alignment issues I was having with the hood hinges. I ended up drilling new holes to mount the quick jacks and everything seems to work. I needed to space the passenger side hinge back about a quarter inch so that the hinge would clear the body when open. I also needed to releave the body where the lower portion of the hinge swings out on both sides to get the doors to fully open. I primed the body earlier this week and will be sanding this weekend.
    Lars
    Lars
    Novice Build: 289 USRRC Complete Kit #10524, 3rd Gen Coyote, TKX, IRS, 17" Halibrands, Wilwood Brakes, Power Steering