Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking for brake upgrade advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looking for brake upgrade advice

Hi All,

Looking for opinions. I've got about 600 miles on my truck now and it's a blast, but I think I would like to upgrade the brakes and I'm not sure which route to go. I currently have the 8.8 Moser axle with the 3-link setup and the standard brakes that came with the kit. Without doing a complex/major refit, which would be the best way to go? And how much more effective braking would each option offer?

- Get the Wilwood brakes from FFR?
    - Convert to power brakes?
    - or one of those add-on boost pump-motors?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well... given you said.... "Without doing a complex/major refit...." I'd suggest going with a tried and true easy bolt on Wilwood kit from FFR.

My $0.02
    Mark
    Mark
    '35 Truck
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...35-Truck-Build
    Brevard, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    Pads make a huge difference. Maybe something a bit more aggressive. This is easy and shouldn't break the bank.
    But you don't describe how you're using the car.
    Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m using HP+ pads which make a difference. Bed them in. Then adjust bias correctly. I find the brakes sufficient on many fast road and autox miles.

But if you’re tracking the car seriously and combating fade, yes there’s no substitute for bigger brakes.. and I’d speak to Gordon Levy about that.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Maybe I didn't word my post properly. I want more effective brakes for sporty street driving (no racing) but I don't really want to completely rip out my entire brake system.

I'm trying to find out what's involved with converting to power brakes. Would I remove my master cylinders, reservoirs and install one of those conversion kits I see at Summit Racing? And then would I need/want to upgrade my pads?

The Wilwood kits look like the easiest solution, although pricy. Are they worth it? Are they noticably more effective than the stock brakes that came with the kit?

Thanks again for the input! Really appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FLFrank35 View Post
    Maybe I didn't word my post properly. I want more effective brakes for sporty street driving (no racing) but I don't really want to completely rip out my entire brake system.

I'm trying to find out what's involved with converting to power brakes. Would I remove my master cylinders, reservoirs and install one of those conversion kits I see at Summit Racing? And then would I need/want to upgrade my pads?

The Wilwood kits look like the easiest solution, although pricy. Are they worth it? Are they noticably more effective than the stock brakes that came with the kit?

Thanks again for the input! Really appreciated!
    If you want more effective street brakes, you just need better pads. That's it.

I get that bigger brakes are sexy.. but the biggest benefit of them (lack of fade) is not seen on the street. So, no, they aren't worth it.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you've planned ahead and left room on the firewall, adding traditional vacuum or hydroboost power brakes will be challenging. The firewall for the truck and hot rod isn't huge and space is easily taken up by other things including what engine you have which may intrude into the space. I did put power brakes in my truck build because it was part of my theme for an easy to drive street cruiser. But I didn't use the Wilwood pedal box. Automatic trans so didn't need the clutch. So several frame mods during the build and at least how I did it would be difficult on a finished truck. My brakes work fine. But the way I'm driving it not stressed at all.

I'd recommend you go the more aggressive pad for starters. Might make the difference you're looking for. I've used Wilwood brakes on my last few builds. Not because I need them. Just what I wanted. But they are expensive and service parts (pads, rotors, etc.) are also pricey. I agree for street driving they're not really necessary.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    If you want more effective street brakes, you just need better pads. That's it.

I get that bigger brakes are sexy.. but the biggest benefit of them (lack of fade) is not seen on the street. So, no, they aren't worth it.
    Good to know. I don't necessarily want bigger, just better. Sounds like the consensus is focused on the pads.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Unless you've planned ahead and left room on the firewall, adding traditional vacuum or hydroboost power brakes will be challenging. The firewall for the truck and hot rod isn't huge and space is easily taken up by other things including what engine you have which may intrude into the space. I did put power brakes in my truck build because it was part of my theme for an easy to drive street cruiser. But I didn't use the Wilwood pedal box. Automatic trans so didn't need the clutch. So several frame mods during the build and at least how I did it would be difficult on a finished truck. My brakes work fine. But the way I'm driving it not stressed at all.

I'd recommend you go the more aggressive pad for starters. Might make the difference you're looking for. I've used Wilwood brakes on my last few builds. Not because I need them. Just what I wanted. But they are expensive and service parts (pads, rotors, etc.) are also pricey. I agree for street driving they're not really necessary.
    I did't plan to upgrade the the brake system when I was building it, so no, modifying the pedal box/frame is not possible. And I don't know anything about vacuum or hydroboost...still learning.
    Thanks!