Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Windshield help

Post Thanks / Like

Windshield help

Good afternoon all.
    About to replace my windshield for the second time in less than a year and need some help. The first time it cracked, I think that my sidebars weren't shimmed properly. With that being said, does anyone have any tips on how to shim it the right way? I also feel like my sidebars shift no matter how hard I tighten the bolts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, the third time will be the charm with the glass.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the biggest reasons why the windshield crackers that nobody talks about here is the fact the glass cut from the factory is not finished. If you examine a production car windshield you will see that the edges of the windshield is smooth and sanded down to get rid of the micro fractures. If you examine the FFR windshield glass you will see that the edges are rough and have micro fractures. When I did my car I took the windshield out of the frame and brought it to a local auto windshield business and had them finish off the edges to smooth edge to remove the micro fractures. And yes you still should have the windshield shimmed so there is no stress on the glass.

3. Likes Nigel Allen, J R Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chmhasy View Post
    One of the biggest reasons why the windshield crackers that nobody talks about here is the fact the glass cut from the factory is not finished. If you examine a production car windshield you will see that the edges of the windshield is smooth and sanded down to get rid of the micro fractures. If you examine the FFR windshield glass you will see that the edges are rough and have micro fractures. When I did my car I took the windshield out of the frame and brought it to a local auto windshield business and had them finish off the edges to smooth edge to remove the micro fractures. And yes you still should have the windshield shimmed so there is no stress on the glass.
    that is a great tip.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have faced similar issues after removal of a windshield. I did not anticipate that an R&R shop could dress a windshield edge and did it myself. I used a hand-held belt sander. The glass gets warm so incremental steps are suggested. I did have a flat windscreen (shop) fabricated for my vintage Excalibur Roadster and it did not fit the (straightened) frame properly. I spent hours test fitting and sanding the glass edge to achieve a fit without interference.
    jim

excal top dev 004.JPG
    Last edited by J R Jones; 08-12-2023 at 09:41 AM. Reason: photo