Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Parts list for tubular lower front arms with basic kit?

Post Thanks / Like

Parts list for tubular lower front arms with basic kit?

Hey guys, I’m seeing lots of random information on this and I want to get parts ordered ahead of time. From what I’m understanding when doing the base kit. You have to opt for the lower tubular arms if you want them. I will be doing just that, along with the IRS for the rear. The confusion for me comes with the spindles. My understanding is FFR has a proprietary spindle that eliminates some bumpsteer. However waiting on that should it not be included has some wait time.

The alternative is the 94 mustang spindle and hub. That can be sourced easily. So can anyone confirm my parts list for the basic kit with tubular lower, would be, mustang spindle, hub, upper and lower ball joint?

Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it, after posting you always find your answer. Found a lot of results on the other forum. Here’s what I’ve gathered.

FFR proprietary spindles allow you to bolt right up to the upper and lower tubulars with no additional parts. This is the best option as far as bum steer goes.

Next best is the 94 spindles with dog leg and the FFR upper ball joint adapter bracket.

Next is the 96+ spindle, you still need the adapter and this bumps the wheelbase lateral maybe 3/4in.

Can anyone confirm?

Post Thanks / Like
    You are correct. I assume that you are aware that if you go with the Mustang spindles the uppers are installed using the top mounts and with the FFR spindles they use the side mounts. Regarding wait time; have you confirmed spindle availability with FFR? If you're relying on the online parts catalog it is often inaccurate.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    You are correct. I assume that you are aware that if you go with the Mustang spindles the uppers are installed using the top mounts and with the FFR spindles they use the side mounts. Regarding wait time; have you confirmed spindle availability with FFR? If you're relying on the online parts catalog it is often inaccurate.

Jeff
    I have not confirmed, and I will. If they are available then I’ll more than likely add them. Jeff do you happen to know if the upper arms include the ball joint? If not, have any part numbers for the upper and lowers?

I think I found the upper as moog K772
    Last edited by Kbl7td; 09-03-2023 at 02:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The uppers include the ball joint whether base or complete kit.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had builds with the Mustang spindles and now several with the Factory Five spindles. There is no comparison and I'd strongly advise you not to settle for the Mustang ones. The improvement is dramatic. Even compared with the "best" Mustang spindles. Bump steer is nonexistent and the overall drivability significantly better. Note to mention easier to install without the adapters. If they're not immediately available, you can practically complete the entire chassis (panels, wiring, engine installation, etc.) without them. Unless you're a very fast builder, waiting for spindles won't hold you up.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.