Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Foot Box Insulation Panels

Post Thanks / Like

Foot Box Insulation Panels

I spent part of the day making cardboard templates of the footbox pieces (front and Engine side) so that I can make aluminum panels to help insulate the footboxes.

For those that have done this, any tips or advice?

What aluminum thickness did you use?

I was planning on 1/4 inch gap.

Marc
    It's just A Matter Of Time

Marc

FFR Coupe 434, 347ci, Power Brakes, SAI Mod, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look at this link of my footbox build. I used the same aluminum that the footbox is made for a heat shield. The stand off is about 3/8" with some double sided insulation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5110304...7622924159838/
    Chris
    If it's too LOUD....you're too OLD!!

Build Site >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/51103049@N00/collections/

FFR#0441CP Complete Coupe kit, IRS, T-5, 392ci 351W, Webers, Delivered 4/29/09

Post Thanks / Like
    Marc

I made aluminum shields and spaced them 1/2" off the footboxes with aluminum spacers (I think from Mcmaster-Carr) and also glued koolmat on the inside of the shields. Ran the engine for 1/2 hour and the temp inside the footboxes never changed. I had the shields made at my local sheetmetal shop, thickness slightly heavier than FFR aluminum. I think 0.60 or thereabouts. Hard to remember now, as of 1/1/2012 I will be starting my fourth year. The good news is I am about 85% complete. Final bodywork, painting and final assembly await me. Body shop ready for me in a week to fit the doors and rear hatch. Incidentally I used the large vent on the left front fender to direct air over the header via some flex tubing which should help in cooling. There is also an interference between the header pipe and the corner of the shield which was easily solved with an indentation in the shield. 1/4" space is not really a lot of air space in my estimation, I'ld go with more.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I got some thin sheet alum. mounted it about 1/4" then used spray form between it am thinking it will insulate good and make everything solid so no vibation of the panels I did not want the metal to thick, so it will not hold the heat so long