Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: e-brake cables, standard Mustang calipers

Post Thanks / Like

e-brake cables, standard Mustang calipers

Mine is an extended cab build. I have a stock 8.8 Mustang rear with Mustang calipers.

I also have the Mustang e-brake cables (new). And clearly they are NOT going to work. The left side might work but the right side is way too short.

I would like to retain the floor mounted e-brake lever (rather than convert to electronic actuator).

Got any suggestions for appropriate cables?

Thx
    1990 Mustang 5.0 5sp, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 1935 Extended Cab Build, 347 & 4R70W

Post Thanks / Like
    Speedway has a universal cable set, that I am planning on using. DonS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mustangs depending on the year, has two cable lengths. I imagine they may have changed again, but 94 and up were longer than the 87-93 models.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using a 2006 Mustang V8 rear, limited slip with same year calipers.

Ford Motorcraft part number for the left side cable is BRCA-279, it's about 67 inches for sheath length.
    Right side is BRCA-278, it's about 53 inches.

According to F5 I need 70 inches left and 65 inches right.

The other issue is that the Motorcraft cables will not fit into the cable bracket under the e-brake lever. The holes will need to be drilled out (assuming the cables were the correct length).

So I'm still trying to figure out what cables will work.
    1990 Mustang 5.0 5sp, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 1935 Extended Cab Build, 347 & 4R70W

Post Thanks / Like
    I started to look at the universal sets. I just have to convince myself the caliper end will seat correctly in the actuator.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a universal "cut-to-length" set of cables on order. I found a set with the "barrel end" fitting that I think will work with Mustang calpers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let us know how this turns out, I have a 2006 Mustang GT rear end as well but I'm still at the sandblasting stage so I'm sure I'll run into this down the road.
    Matthew and Noah
    '35 Hot Rod Truck - 5.0L 302
    Wake Forest, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's how I adapted the "Universal Kit 330-9371" to the e-brake hardware under the floor.

IMG_1185 (Medium).JPG

Those RED things are shaft couplers, 4mm inside, 12mm diameter and 20mm long. The 4 set screws really grab the cable.

I also used some nylon shoulder washers under the aluminum hardware in the U-kit. Then they fit the F5 hardware just fine.

9. Thanks FatherAndSon thanked for this post