FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello from Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from Texas

Hello from Van Alstyne, Texas.

Thought I’d jump and say hello. By way of an intro I’m pulling together all my ideas from the last few years to put into a 289 street Cobra build.

I’ve built a component car before, it was a Dax Rush based on the Lotus Sevens, mine had a Ford RS2000 drivetrain and was one of the best things I’ve ever done. We used to drive it to Le Mans for the 24-hour race when I lived in the UK and my girlfriend, who is now my wife, loved the car to bits. Since then, I’ve built a few motorcycles and am pretty wrench happy when it comes to cars. I’ve currently got a 1986 Porsche 944 that I do all the work I can on. No doubt I’ll learn a lot more about my abilities along the way on this journey.
    Rush front brake assembly.jpgRush interior RHS.jpgD4X RS circa 2001.jpgRush Le Mans return 2002.jpg

And it will likely be quite a long journey, I’m not on a deadline and I plan to visit the team at FFR sometime in the future as I get closer to making this happen.

I’m planning to go with a full new kit from FFR but I’ll source the motor, trans and axle first.

Spec for it so far is quite straight forward, a 289 or 302, probably EFI, no power steering, T5, 8.8 rear, 15” Halibrands, pin/peg drives if I can stretch to them on cost, disc brakes, underfloor exhaust, no roll bar, no racing stripes. Registered in TX as a either a custom vehicle or a replica, whatever it needs to be to avoid yearly inspections and if I can get away with it, no heater, no wipers, just a tonneau cover. As for color, not yet decided, I love Viking blue, but there are many of those so it will be something different. I don’t like shiny stuff much anymore after having had too much of it on motorbikes, so just the basic brightwork will do. And that’s about it for now, period correct if you get my drift 😊

You’ll probably hear from me now and again with questions and if there’s any builder/owners in the North Texas, DFW, Plano, McKinney area I’d love to hear your stories.

Cheers
    Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    Love those cars!
    MK IV Delivered June 27, 2023 Build Thread-https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?46069-Lance-s-Roadster-Build-Thread-Starting-the-Al-panel-slog

"Build a Car" They Said "It Will Be Fun "

Post Thanks / Like
    Give me a call whenever your kit arrives, I'll help unload.

I'm 3 miles west of Van Alstyne.
    Rob Windsor

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, sounds like a solid plan. Nice to see more 289s!