Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Possible to adjust toe on a rack & pinion without disconnecting the rod-ends?

Post Thanks / Like

Possible to adjust toe on a rack & pinion without disconnecting the rod-ends?

Hey Y'all,

I've never adjusted toe on a rack & pinion equipped vehicle before. There doesn't appear to be any exposed "turn buckle" mechanism. Does the rod rotate inside the rack & pinion unit?

I noticed that the steering rods that come out of the unit have "flats" on them -- I'm guessing for toe adjustments.

It seems kinda counter-productive to have to remove the rod ends in order to adjust toe, yet I've read on other forums that you don't want to rotate the rods more than a turn.

What's the proper way?

Thanks,
    Craig C

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just loosen the nut next to the tie rod. The shaft turns freely in the rack. That is how toe is adjusted when doing an alignment.
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

3. Thanks cc2Arider thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Generally I've just loosened lock nut, loosened the clamp for the dust boot / bellows (and made sure they broke free of the inner tie rod). Then turned the inner tie rod as needed to adjust the alignment using the flats provided. Never heard of being limiting on turns, normally the inner tie rod uses a ball joint of sorts where it connects to the rack and can spin as it pleases. Google a picture of a mustang inner tie rod and you'll get the idea.

5. Thanks cc2Arider thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!

That's what I'll do then and not worry about having to remove the rod ends

Craig C

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys have flats on yours? I was looking for them on mine but no! I'll have to put my own on I guess.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech5 View Post
    You guys have flats on yours? I was looking for them on mine but no! I'll have to put my own on I guess.
    If you have enough thread exposed: Take it apart and install a second nut (or two thin nuts). You can then use them backed off and tightened together to rotate the shaft, avoiding the dreaded vice grip tooth marks. After adjusting it becomes a second jam nut.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!