FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Brake Fluid

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brake Fluid

What fluid are yall using? DOT 3 / DOT 4 conventional polyethylene-glycol or DOT 5 silicone based? I think I'll use DOT 5 because it's safer for paint and other finished, even if it might need to be flushed more often. It's not that humid here so I'm not too worried about moisture.

Thoughts? Tips?
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s been a few years since I delivered this lecture so guess it’s time to do it again...trust me on this---DO NOT USE DOT5. In a nutshell it is a silicone fluid and retains millions of tiny air bubbles making it compressible meaning you will never get a firm pedal. Additionally it is non-hygroscopic (does not mix with water) so any moisture will stay separated and since H2O is heavier than the silicone it will settle in the low points; i.e. calipers. Get the brakes hot, the water boils and you have no brakes! Stick with glycol based DOT3, 4 or 5.1 fluid.

Jeff

3. Thanks TxMike64, KippRacing, Bob Cowan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I double down on what Jeff says! The rubber in your system may not be compatible either.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunate ... for me. Build School recommended DOT-5 and that's what I did.

Nearly 21K miles on the car across 4 years of being on the road. I don't drive it really hard, so rarely aggressive on the brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clutch dot 3, brake dot 4 here.

(The clutch specifically says no dot 4)
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU Cowboy View Post
    Unfortunate ... for me. Build School recommended DOT-5 and that's what I did.

Nearly 21K miles on the car across 4 years of being on the road. I don't drive it really hard, so rarely aggressive on the brakes.
    You sure that they didn’t recommend DOT 5.1?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    just curious, when is dot 5 supposed to be used? based on it's high temp profile, I'm guessing race cars and bikes, but would require frequent flushing to prevent water from fouling the system?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I understand the disadvantages to DOT5. But It's hard to get past the fact that it won't eat my finishes! I'll probably go DOT3/4 just for availability.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    just think of it this way...your daily driver and most cars use DOT 3/4 with no issues. Just make sure you don't have any leaks and you should be fine.
    I did have a leaky rear caliper but was able to quickly find the source as the brake fluid and eaten away the paint I had sprayed on the stock calipers.