Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering shaft gemoetry ????

Post Thanks / Like

Steering shaft gemoetry ????

Right now my steering shaft comes through the firewall between the brake and clutch pedal. It looks like it would be a better geometry if it came between the brake and gas pedals. Anyone know a reason why not to move it? It sure would change the severe angle of the steering shaft.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think that if you did that you would have the exhaust and possibly the engine in the way.

I have a Gen 3 Hemi in mine and I have to have an extra universal and bearing over on the diagonal frame tube to get around the headers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post
    I would think that if you did that you would have the exhaust and possibly the engine in the way.

I have a Gen 3 Hemi in mine and I have to have an extra universal and bearing over on the diagonal frame tube to get around the headers.
    Running a Small block Chevy and it sure looks like more than enough room.. i'll go study it somemore

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post

It appears you are correct.. there may be a slight chance it would clear but I don't think it's worth finding out

Post Thanks / Like

Binding Check

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
    It appears you are correct.. there may be a slight chance it would clear but I don't think it's worth finding out
    I have the Gen 2 33 with power steering. Between the steering wheel and the power unit works fine as long as you get the 90 degree phase shift steering shaft. The main issue with the linkage is that between the power steering and the rack the ujoints are very close and have too sharp an angle. Any binding there and the joints will wiggle their way to being loose. It can't be fixed by tightening something, you need to play with the joints and spacing to get them as far apart as possible. I also rotated the rack a bit (spacer under the lower mount) to get a better angle.
    - Peterh226 #1134
    '33 Hot Rod 2nd Gen. Blueprint 383 Sniper TKO Delivered 4/14/2019
    Full Fenders, Top, 3-Link, Wilwoods
    YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R | Fr 245/45 R17 | Rr 295/30 R18
    AR605 Torq-Thrust M Chrome | Fr 17x8 | Rr 18x10