BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need Measurement on Parking Brake Cable, Distance Cable sticks out from Housing

Post Thanks / Like

Need Measurement on Parking Brake Cable, Distance Cable sticks out from Housing

Hi All,

I am putting the final touches on my parking brake / e-brake relocation. Following in dv/dt and jkleiner's foot steps (and many more I'm sure). Stock Mustang '93 donor handle on the left side of the tranny tunnel ahead of the shift lever.

The thing I am scratching my head about now is where to install the cable housing capture points. So, how far out should the cable stick (towards the e-brake handle) from the housing? At rest on mine, the ferrule is at the housing, but I know it has to live more towards the e-brake handle. But it has been long enough since donor disassembly that I can't remember where it was there. Obviously, it needs to be out far enough to almost start engaging the brake shoes, but not quite.

Another issue I'm working with is the '93 donor had different cables than earlier ones anyway, but that should not bother me at this point.

Stock '93 8.8 solid axle. Drum brakes.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    So more investigation on my parking brake cable yielded the following...

At rest, after pulling the cable a few times, now the cable sticks out of the housing by about an inch. I took the brake drum off and watched the action. It takes about 3/4" of pull to get the parking brake action started. So, I'm thinking 1 3/4" is my magic mark for the '93 donor cables.

Still interested to see what other (perhaps earlier than '93?) measurements are. All of the pictures I could find (on the 'other' forum) seem to show a boatload more out of the housing.