Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Newbie

Post Thanks / Like

So here we go………
    Been following you guys for a bit, and am finally pulling the trigger on a 33hot rod complete kit on Monday.
    Plan is 383 sbc,carb setup, IRS. Want to do a Rod Top convertible.
    That being said, I had an employee ask me today “Why are you doing an automatic?”
    Been thinking….why am I?
    Been building hot rods and Harleys for years……always had automatics in the rods.
    Any thoughts?

Side info…..
    6’3”, 220 lbs
    Quad bypass 3 years ago
    Had a defibrillator implanted at the same time
    Dr. told me I could no longer weld, due to frequency of MIG and TIG setting off the defibrillator..so I was looking for a project with minimal welding. This seemed to fit the bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on getting the hotrod. I get thumbs up every time I drive it.
    There is minimal room in the foot box. A 3rd pedal makes things really tight especially for one that has big feet.
    A 5 or 6 speed is nice but an auto shifts faster.
    Happy building.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup ,what JimLev says, it's tight.

I have a tremec 5-speed in mine and I love driving it, but I have noticed that I can only wear certain brand tennis shoes (running shoes) while driving it or my feet get hung up in the pedals. For whatever the reason, Nike & New Balance work fine but Asics soles on their shoes are about 1/4-1/2" wider and get stuck. My feet are not overly that big either (size 10.5 - 11).

Definitely cannot wear any type of boots or dress shoes. Seems like dock shoes and running shoes are the best but you need to be careful with all of them. I've gotten used to it myself wearing the right shoes where I don't have issues anymore, but if I let friends drive it depending upon their shoe size and shoe type some refuse due to the pedals being close.

Very doable, but just something to be aware of.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, i've got the 383 SBC and 700R4 mainly because I bought someone's unfinished kit and that's what it had but, I think it's a good choice. Looking forward to watching your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put a Tremec TKX 5 speed in mine. I am of the mindset of why build this thing without a standard trans. It's to have fun, right? The pedals are a little close but manageable. I have a drive by wire throttle and had to shim the pedal assembly to tilt it for "ok" spacing between the brake pedal and the tunnel. Having a carb makes it a lot easier to put the gas pedal where you want. FYI The pedal foot surfaces are adjustable from side to side about a half inch each.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the insight
    Hopefully placing my order Wednesday
    Probably gonna stick with auto
    Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    A hot rod should have a manual in it. Every time I walk around a car show and see a hot rod the first thing I look for is "Is it manual or automatic" and 9 out of 10 time it's a Automatic. not good people! think about this new Corvettes are all automatic Really. Just go buy a Camry with auto and save your penny's. I will now get off my soap box.

I would think the 19 year old version of you would but a manual in it.
    Last edited by chmhasy; 10-15-2023 at 05:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well we ain’t 19 any more, bad knees, bad back, bad ankles, etc.
    My other car has a 6 speed with more HP than my LS3 hotrod so I’m good with a quicker shifting slush box.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto to what JimLev said. Also, the footbox on the '33 car/truck is so narrow that I wouldn't have enough room to use a clutch pedal - even with narrowing the trans tunnel. Of course, then I went and installed a 6 speed automatic and gave back any space I would have saved by not having a third pedal... Bottom line: you are building this car for you, so do whatever you prefer. Either approach can be made to work.

Keith HR #894