Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  39

Thread: the coyote continues to bite... resolved! :)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What 2 things will affect one whole bank of cylinders? A power feed wire for the injectors or the coils as I believe each coil or injector has a separate ground to the ECM for operation. Injectors clogged on one bank is the only other thing I can think of. Sometimes us technical gurus get caught up in more technical aspects of things and forget about some more basic stuff, myself included, too many times! When I would get frustrated trying to diagnose a problem such as this I would start over with the basics first before jumping in too deep. Sometimes you find something and you say on yeah, how did I miss that. Good luck!
    Last edited by Mastertech5; 10-26-2023 at 06:52 PM.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech5 View Post
    What 2 things will affect one whole bank of cylinders? A power feed wire for the injectors or the coils as I believe each coil or injector has a separate ground to the ECM for operation.
    yes, we did a pretty in depth test on the engine harness - the last test was to test a break to ground, all 8 cylinders failed - which was even more odd,
    here's the test methodology we used from Ford: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

you'd think if all cylinders failed, nothing would fire, but Ford said maybe it wasn't fully broken but just enough to carry electrical load to 1/2 the engine

the driver side is a bit odd, the cylinders #6 and #8 are sometimes warmer than #5 and #7 - but not always... but none of the cylinders get to >= 350F like the passenger side - it's a very odd problem
    Last edited by toadster; 10-26-2023 at 06:54 PM.
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    yes, we did a pretty in depth test on the engine harness - the last test was to test a break to ground, all 8 cylinders failed - which was even more odd,
    you'd think if all cylinders failed, nothing would fire, but Ford said maybe it wasn't fully broken but just enough to carry electrical load to 1/2 the engine

the driver side is a bit odd, the cylinders #6 and #8 are sometimes warmer than #5 and #7 - but not always... but none of the cylinders get to >= 350F like the passenger side - it's a very odd problem
    There may be more than one problem. Yes a not broken but compromised wire can't carry enough current to operate a component. Check the female connectors on the coils and injectors on those two cylinders. They may be opened up too much to make good contact on the male side. I had added more to my post after you read it.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.