Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Help identifying electrical connector

Post Thanks / Like

Help identifying electrical connector

Hello, gents -- I've got an obscure question, but if I've learned anything over twenty years of hanging out with Factory Five enthusiasts, it's that this group collectively knows everything. So here goes... I'd appreciate some help identifying the electrical connector pictured in the attachments.

For context, this is a very small battery connector, attached to a lithium-ion pack from a first-generation Ring doorbell. It measures about 6.25mm in width, and about 1.3mm thick. There are five pins, and my calipers seem to confirm what you basically have to deduce from the connector size -- 1mm pin spacing. I've gone through the online catalogs at Newark, Digikey, Molex, etc., and I've found one or two things that seem pretty similar, but nothing I'm convinced is this connector. There's no reason in the world for it to be proprietary, so I'm convinced I just haven't run the right search or found the right resource yet.

As luck would have it, I have many hundreds of these things sitting in my barn. If I can identify the connector (and its associated mate), I can design a simple PCB that will allow me to quick-plug a whole bunch of them in serial and parallel to create a battery bank of meaningful capacity. (I could do the same thing by cutting the connectors off and soldering all those teeny-tiny wires, but to quote Sweet Brown, "ain't nobody got time for that!")

Any and all help and tips appreciated! Thanks.

Cheers, John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FFR10004105RD: Twin-turbo BMW V12 powered FFR Roadster
    Currently garaging 2,600hp spread across 78 cylinders and 4 turbochargers

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a "blade type" power connector. You see it a lot in laptop batteries -- The electric contact point when hard battery case clips into/onto hard laptop case.

If you can measure the spacing (1mm seems a bit narrow), you can likely find the male equivalent on digikey.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...onnectors/2003
    Rob Windsor

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Rob. I'm going through their catalog again, but so far I don't see anything on point or appropriately sized. This thing is tiny. I did find (online) a picture of the battery connected to the old Ring doorbell, so you can sort of see the PCB-side connector / mate. I'm attaching that as well. It looks like it's a sort of "snap-in" fit connector. I'll update if I find anything, and if anyone else stumbles across this, all tips or links are appreciated!

EDIT: I may have stumbled across it on the Molex site. I'm about 90% confident that this is the PCB side part I'm looking for. Now I've got to see if I can get my hands on a sample to confirm. Of course, if I'm right, the next problem is that the neither of the PCB assemblers I have used in the past seem to have this part...
    https://www.molex.com/en-us/products...ail/2121340005

Cheers, John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dukegrad98; 10-26-2023 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Added link
    FFR10004105RD: Twin-turbo BMW V12 powered FFR Roadster
    Currently garaging 2,600hp spread across 78 cylinders and 4 turbochargers

4. Likes Windsor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, I see.

You did a decent job taking a photograph of that tiny part, so I missed the actual size of it.
    Rob Windsor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.