FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Powder coating frame?

Post Thanks / Like

Powder coating frame?

FFR offers black powder coating for the coupe frame but I want mine in white, like the originals. They only offer white for the coupe R I don’t understand the rigidity of that policy but apparently I’ll be ordering it uncoated.

Do you know how to shop for something like this? Most powdercoaters I’ve called, the biggest thing they do is lawn chairs. 😖 Is it something I could do in pieces with a hot air gun?

Post Thanks / Like
    You'd have to have a pretty big oven to put the chassis in. It has to be heat cycled to a pretty high temp. You need to find someone that can bake a chassis.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would add, if you want white, paint maybe best option or a good powder coat place. I have one near me that I think could do it and wish I had know that before i ordered. Not real happy with the FFR coating, I have multiple places that it peals off and everything that touches it scrapes it off. It would be 1 of my different choices if I were to build another.
    MK IV Delivered June 27, 2023 Build Thread-https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?46069-Lance-s-Roadster-Build-Thread-Starting-the-Al-panel-slog

"Build a Car" They Said "It Will Be Fun "

Post Thanks / Like
    Look for an industrial coating shop near you. They will have ovens big enough to do it. Besides having more flexibility in color you’ll have the ability to do some proper cleaning of the frame first (removing weld spatter). Whoever FFR uses for their PC doesn’t do much (anything) in the way of frame prep before PC.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    As others have mentioned, it will all come down to oven size - the whole frame needs to fit in the oven. You can't do powder coating with a hot air gun in sections. I assume that you are from Miami - a quick Google search looks like Miami Powder does frames - https://www.miamipowder.com/ - might be a place to start.

I considered having my frame powder coated by a local company, but the cost was at least double that of FFR.

With regards to painting, I would suggest powder coating as it holds up better to chemical exposure, like brake fluid, etc.

James
    Mk4 Roadster #9974 - Picked Up 1/2021. Complete kit, Gen 2 Ford Coyote / TKX, IRS. Completed 9/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome info - thanks!

Really appreciate the experienced point of view. Sounds like I’d be disappointed with the fit and finish of the FFR coating. Makes me actually glad to get the frame uncoated and do some weld cleanup.

I also want to get air Jack mounts added, like the ones in the Snap-on build videos. My guess is if FFR can’t be bothered to do a custom finish, they won’t be willing to add the Jack mounts either.

And WOW! Miami Powder is right across the street from The Alignment Factory (best alignment in the business)! And not only that but they’re followed by a metal worker that could add those mounts.

Thanks again, guys!

BTW, looking at Miami Powder’s instagram reinforces your comment about choosing *any* color - like metallic purple haze! 😳

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMiami View Post
    ...My guess is if FFR can’t be bothered to do a custom finish, they won’t be willing to add the Jack mounts either...
    Factory Five has multiple models with multiple options (I assume you've studied the order sheets) but that's the extent of their customization options. Where you go from there is your choice. Many, including me, use the kit as a base to go from. From mild to wild. It's not a matter of "they won't bother..." it's their business model. Their shop is set up and fixtured as a production operation. There are plenty of custom shops out there if you want to go that way. But be prepared to pay a lot more for it. You may want to tone down that kind of unwarranted negative rhetoric. We're fans here.

Regarding powder coat, I've done five builds. Two with custom (local) coating and three with Factory Five's coating. They do offer limited colors. For the Coupe, satin black for the street model, white for the race model. If you want something different, there are plenty of shops that do parts as big as the frame. Actually most in my experience. But as already pointed out, be prepared to pay at least twice what Factory Five does it for. Or more. That's been my experience and have the cancelled checks to prove it. I do agree the clean-up (weld splatter, etc.) could be better for the Factory Five job. But it's not like they aren't doing anything. It's just not 100%. Unless you're building a show car with the frame displayed, it's fine IMO. But like everything else, your choice and your money. Painting is also an option and multiple builds on here have documented it. But (1) not as durable as powder coat, and (2) everyone says it's way more work then they expected.
    Last edited by edwardb; 10-26-2023 at 04:48 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure where you are located but Rick's powder coat in Memphis, TN did mine.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Miami area too, coupe coming in Dec. Elected to do no powder coating as I'll be doing a lot of custom welding etc. My plan is DTM por15. Multiple colors available.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never had an issue with the powder coating on my last build. It was a no brainer for $600. Im getting it again from FFR on this next build. As Paul said, unless you are building a show car where the frame is exposed, then it’s completely fine. That said, my company sells powder coatings. If you want it done aftermarket, there are a few powder coaters that have large enough ovens or look for a trailer manufacturer that does it in house. Be prepared to spend upwards of $2K depending on your area.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my frame bare and I'm glad I did, mainly because I wanted it to be painted a colour other than black. I also wanted to take the time to clean up the welds/spatter. (Using various wire brush wheels and surface conditioning disks for this operation.) I too wanted to have as much of the drilling as possible completed and any welding done before powdercoating.

Cleaning up the frame is a time-consuming job. A lot of spots are awkward to get at. Also in my specific case I hurt my back and lost all of the summer, making zero progress. But back at it now.

Earl
    Last edited by narly1; 10-26-2023 at 07:10 AM.
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW - the easiest way I found to clean off weld spatter was with a cold chisel like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

It didn't take much force with this to get all the little weld spatter balls to pop right off.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ed,
    The message I got back from FFR was a terse and final “we only offer the white powder coat on the coupe R kits”. Yet Dave in video after video says “we are a collaboration company”. That left a sour taste in my mouth. Why such an arbitrary limitation? What’s the big deal using either color on either frame? That’s a stupidly restrictive arbitrary policy and I, too, am a fan - for over 10 years now. But fandom doesn’t mean they’re above critique. Just like patriotism doesn’t mean lack of protest. And I’m sorry it rubbed you the wrong way - I’ll keep the editorial to myself going forward.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    FWIW - the easiest way I found to clean off weld spatter was with a cold chisel like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

It didn't take much force with this to get all the little weld spatter balls to pop right off.
    I should've mentioned in my post that in some instances I did the same.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    @Kbl7td that’s awesome! Congratulations! If you ever need a bit of muscle to pitch in, I’d be glad to help out where I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMiami View Post
    Ed,
    The message I got back from FFR was a terse and final “we only offer the white powder coat on the coupe R kits”. Yet Dave in video after video says “we are a collaboration company”. That left a sour taste in my mouth. Why such an arbitrary limitation? What’s the big deal using either color on either frame? That’s a stupidly restrictive arbitrary policy and I, too, am a fan - for over 10 years now. But fandom doesn’t mean they’re above critique. Just like patriotism doesn’t mean lack of protest. And I’m sorry it rubbed you the wrong way - I’ll keep the editorial to myself going forward.
    Chris
    At the risk of prolonging a discussion unnecessarily -- you're entitled to your opinion about what Factory Five does or doesn't do. I really don't care to be honest. What you consider arbitrary is clearly not their business model. I'm not personally offended and spare the lectures. Just trying to give a hint about how best to interact within this forum community. What you do with it is up to you.
    Last edited by edwardb; 10-26-2023 at 10:33 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda' like how you can't walk into a Ford dealer and order up an F150 painted an extra cost Mustang color.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lidodrip View Post
    With regards to painting, I would suggest powder coating as it holds up better to chemical exposure, like brake fluid, etc.

James
    Better is relative, brake fluid will soften and remove the powder coating, ask me how I know?
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    i had the frame on my 1965 gmc truck powder coated for $500 and that included sand blasting the old paint off

Post Thanks / Like
    Here in Canada I have been quoted ~ $1000 to sandblast the frame and ~ $1000 to paint it. There is another guy here that will do it for ~ $2000, the difference being that he first lays down a protective base layer that keeps the colour layer from bubbling up due to rust forming underneath it.

I will be going with the two layers...but hey that's me.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my chassis sandblasted and painted in 2 pot epoxy. Very hard finish and repairable..

22. Likes narly1, Alan_C liked this post