FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Planning my build of a MK4 Cobra

Post Thanks / Like

Planning my build of a MK4 Cobra

Just joined up and have done a quite bit of research over the last year or so. Now I am planning my MK4 Build. Would really like to see and hear about a completed one near my area if anyone is close and willing. I live in the northern neck of Virginia near a town called Heathsville. NVA is no fun to go to once you get to Fredericksburg. Richmond and towards Newport News is not too bad. Let me know if anyone has a Cobra to brag about. PS a bonus would be one with a stroker 351 to a 427 which is in my plans. Thanks Jim T.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jim, there are 4 of us in North Stafford County. I have a Mk4 not on the road yet, it is at Whitby Motorcars being painted now. Another guy has a Mk4 with a Ford Racing 427. I'll email him your info. Another guy has a Mk4 with a Coyote and auto trans. He is building a house in South Carolina so not easy to meet up with. And almost my next door neighbor has a Mk3. I'll email him your info.

Jerry
    Last edited by jrcuz; 10-27-2023 at 09:48 AM.
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Thanks for reaching out Jerry. Sounds like you'll be enjoying your build on the road soon. Looking forward to getting my build started and with any luck I'll be committed by the end of the year.

I have a shop that I can trust to handle the painting when that comes too. I have some definite must haves for it already. I know the engine will be the 427 relatively mild with fuel injection vs carbureted attached to a 5 speed Tremec TKO 600. I'm on the fence as to whether to build the motor or buy one. I remember how much fun it was to tinker on motors back in my drag racing days in the last century.

The rear will be independent suspension. Looking at the 11"/13" brakes vs the Wilwood ones since I'm not going to race it. Going with the 17" wheels vs 15" because I really like the look and Shelby would have used them if they were available back then IMO. Probably a single polished roll bar with the stainless side pipes as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Jim, my friend with the 427 built the eng and has a Tremec TKX. He is a former drag racer also.

Jerry
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra427JET View Post
    Hey, Thanks for reaching out Jerry. Sounds like you'll be enjoying your build on the road soon. Looking forward to getting my build started and with any luck I'll be committed by the end of the year.

I have a shop that I can trust to handle the painting when that comes too. I have some definite must haves for it already. I know the engine will be the 427 relatively mild with fuel injection vs carbureted attached to a 5 speed Tremec TKO 600. I'm on the fence as to whether to build the motor or buy one. I remember how much fun it was to tinker on motors back in my drag racing days in the last century.

The rear will be independent suspension. Looking at the 11"/13" brakes vs the Wilwood ones since I'm not going to race it. Going with the 17" wheels vs 15" because I really like the look and Shelby would have used them if they were available back then IMO. Probably a single polished roll bar with the stainless side pipes as well.
    Hi, Jimmy, jet

I have a Mk4 I built last year with a 427 stroker. IRS, and TKX 5 speed.. it also has PS.

I live in Fredericksburg, VA and would consider an afternoon drive to show you the car.
    I am retired so I can come just about anytime as long as weather permits.

My phone number is 540 220 2382, name is Russell E Hall

Give me a call I would like to talk to you about your build.

Thanks, Russell
    MK4 delivered 8/21/2021 completed 7/2022
    complete kit, IRS, 13" brakes.
    Ford performance 427 Stroker. Engine built by Russell
    Quick time bell housing, .68 Tremec TKX.
    FF5 17" tires and rims.
    Paint and prep by Russell Hall

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for reaching out to me Russell. I've been a bit preoccupied with changing out the poorly engineered Ford cam phasers on my F150 and just got back on the forum this morning. Never a mechanic but also never afraid to fix or build anything. Anything automotive gets in the blood as you well know. Looks like you built your engine as well and that is the other piece, I'm leaning on doing. I can still remember building my drag engine and tweaking the trans/suspension from the bygone days when it was tougher without the net. You needed to know high quality folks back then and learn from tech manuals and such......

I would like to talk to you about your Cobra especially given the build does mimic a lot of what I am planning. I'll give you a call when I get my repairs done and I certainly would like to see your build. Fredericksburg is only about 1 1/2 hours away from me and it is an easy drive for me to make. Gets much tougher going north of Fredericksburg.

Thanks, Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, here we go. I ordered the MK4 Kit on 12/31/23. Dave Viveiros was awesome to work with even with my constant emails of questions.

Special thanks to Russell Hall for all his advice. I have a lot spec'd out for the build so far with more to do. Tons of bookmarks and an extensive spread sheet.

I have a good portion of the items worked out related to the Boss Block 427 build as well. It's been a long time since I built a motor but am so looking forward to that part of it. The more I researched it and the parts required, the more it felt like a kids first time in the candy aisle.

The difference between Men and Boys is the cost of the toys.....

Post Thanks / Like
    A Short Block question for the forum. My MK4 Kit is arriving around 4/1/24 more or less. Can't wait...this is worse than being 7 years old waiting for Christmas to come.

For my build I am going to be building the engine starting with a 427 stroker short block. I will be using either a Ford Performance Boss short block or a Dart short block as both have a 4 1/8" bore over a 4" stroke along with 3 of the mains having 4 bolts.

I talked to RPM racing engines out of Georgia, Vt. who carries the Ford Performance block and they seemed like good guys. Does anyone have any personal experience with this company that they can share?

I was told that the Ford Performance blocks will not be available until sometime around 3/1 this year to order. I'll be contacting them soon to get it moving. Thanks for all the information.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just picked up a Mk3 with a 351W. Have been struggling with the engine size and do I really need it stroked to 427. Happy to hear how you came to that conclusion.