Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Par's MK4.... Finally

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsaver View Post
    Well, not as much today at all.

Put the LCA after having to grind down a bushing. Bushing stuck out about 3/32 from the rubber and wouldn't allow a flush seat. Finally got them in and got the upper ball joints tacked in place. Went to install the UCA and ran into a snag. The plates where the UCA mounts if you use the FFR spindle are welded too close to the top plates and you can't get a socket on the back so you can't tighten them down. Same on both sides. Frustrating beyond belief....

Of course I don't have a 90° 3/4 open ended wrench and neither do the local stores so waiting until Monday for Amazon to get here. I suppose I could have ground down the plate to give me clearance but that's just more effort than I'm willing to put forward at this point.

PXL_20231027_210842485.jpg

Started assembling the shocks but just feeling put off by the UCA debacle so called it a day.
    Debacle? No. I'm a little concerned that grinding appears to be the first choice when encountering a problem... Not clear what part you're describing with the bushing. But I've assembled multiple front suspensions without grinding anything. Figure things out first with changing parts being the last resort. At least for me personally, when I find the parts don't fit as I think they should it's often my error. Access to that UCA nut is a common issue and reported by multiple builders. It's not a mfg error. If you can get a wrench on it, fine. Many just wedge a screwdriver in there and tighten from the other side.
    Last edited by edwardb; 10-28-2023 at 02:53 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.