Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Firewall insulation

Post Thanks / Like

Firewall insulation

I thought I saw somewhere that you need to cut the insulation down about an inch from the top of the firewall, is this correct? or should it go all the way to the top edge to seal the body to the firewall?

Also, Do you feel that the supplied insulation is sufficient or do you think a second layer on top of the FFR supplied insulation would be beneficial?

20231027_175151.jpg20231027_175140.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to trim the top of the insulation otherwise the body won’t fit flush to the back of the firewall.
    I don’t think more insulation on the FW will help.
    More on the floor and tranny tunnel would be good.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I trimmed the foam and dynamat material supplied in the FFR insulation kit about 3/4" so the body would fit flush to the firewall. I would think that if you tried to fit the body with that much thickness it would cause issues elsewhere.

Also, it doesn't appear that you have the dynamat material on the firewall under the foam.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with JimLev and Dgc333. You need to trim it down 3/4 of an inch from the top of the firewall. Dynamat first and foam on top.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

5. Likes Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Guys, I didn't get any dynamat with mine (bought an unfinished kit) but I do have a box of Second Skin Damplifier Pro ( https://www.secondskinaudio.com/soun...damplifier-pro ) that i'll put on the firewall first then the FFR insulation, THANK YOU FOR THAT TIP.
    I'm also going to use the Damplifier Pro in the interior to cover the floors, trans tunnel and pretty much everywhere.
    For the underside of the trans tunnel, i'm using the same as I used inbetween the floor panels, The Second Skin Megablock ( https://www.secondskinaudio.com/heat...ion/mega-block ) With the 3M High Temp foil tape on the edges and seams.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, there is a instruction supplement for installing the FFR insulation kit that can be down loaded from the FFR site. It's a good reference if you are trying to make your own.

The FFR kit includes dynamat (it's not Dynamat brand) cut to fit the firewall, floor, tunnel, back wall, the sides, the back of the waterfall, and the inside of the doors. The foam insulation in your pictures is provided for the firewall and tunnel only.

I recommend that you install the firewall insulation earlier than latter. It will be a real ***** to install all those pieces when all the wiring is dressed off and you have a heater and/or an AC box mounted.

Also, especially the foam when you have removed the backing make sure you have a plan on how each piece is going down. Once the adhesive touches the surface you can't remove it without tearing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post
    FWIW, there is a instruction supplement for installing the FFR insulation kit that can be down loaded from the FFR site. It's a good reference if you are trying to make your own.

The FFR kit includes dynamat (it's not Dynamat brand) cut to fit the firewall, floor, tunnel, back wall, the sides, the back of the waterfall, and the inside of the doors. The foam insulation in your pictures is provided for the firewall and tunnel only.

I recommend that you install the firewall insulation earlier than latter. It will be a real ***** to install all those pieces when all the wiring is dressed off and you have a heater and/or an AC box mounted.

Also, especially the foam when you have removed the backing make sure you have a plan on how each piece is going down. Once the adhesive touches the surface you can't remove it without tearing it.
    Today was the day to get it done. Removed the A/C unit and cut my Second Skin Damplifier Pro to fit all the shapes then put the FFR foam on top of that and then reinstalled the A/C unit, hopefully for the last time.

20231028_190126.jpg