Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kirkey Low Back Seats Fit

Post Thanks / Like

Kirkey Low Back Seats Fit

I have a Gen 1 33 HR. I'm 6'-2", 195 with long legs. Like many of us tall guys the leg room is a little tight. My knees are on both sides of the steering wheel. I modified the seat that came with the kit to sit as far back & low as possible but things, as far as leg room, is still far from idea. I get by with things the way they are but I was thinking of installing some Kirkey Low Backs with covers in the hopes of improving the situation. I sat in a 33 HR recently with these seats & they seem to provide more leg room. According to Kirkey's measuring chart, it looks like I would need 17" seats.

I'm interested if anyone has installed these same seats (same size too) in a 33 & the results. Seat fit issues? Increased leg room? View over the dash? Etc.?

Thanks,

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a 33, but made a big change in my roadster. At least 2.5 to 3 inches of additional leg room. You also sit lower.
    FFR 5385 MKIII. 302, 3-Link. All legal in MA 1/7/2012.

Post Thanks / Like
    The optional vintage low back racing seat that FFR offers is the Kirkey. I sat in both at FFR. You definitely sit lower with the seat but I did not get a sense that it improved leg room. I would have liked those for my Speedstar for the additional head room but get out over the high side bolster was a deal breaker for me.

The other thing to consider is the seat is made of sheet aluminum, the optional cover is pretty thin and I am not sure how comfortable they would be on a long ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently switched from the leather seat to these from Jegs https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/702265/10002/-1

I had to modify my aluminum center section to make them fit.. I wish I’d bought 16”. The dimensions aren’t what you expect (or what they tell you). Also pretty hard to get into a built car with a hardtop in place!!

But now they are in, they are amazing. Much more supportive, comfortable and the thin cover doesn’t get uncomfortable even after long trips. IMO they’ll give you more leg room but I didn’t do it for that
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 6'2" and large frame. When I put the kirkey low back in my roadster with a slight tip back on the mounting, it gave me more leg room as well plus sitting lower. It's the combo effect that makes it work. By having the slight tilt, it forces the legs to bend a little plus sitting back a little farther.
    FFR #4402 MKII Supercharged 308 445 RWHP Sterling Grey W/ Black Sapphire Stripes, Purchase 8/22/2008 Sold 12/04/2018
    FFR #8249 MK IV "Milano" Kit purchased 10/5/2018 - In-Process with 3.27 IRS, Multiport, Fuel Injected Supercharged 347 Big bore with Coil On Plug running Holley HP engine management, 576 RWHP, 510 Torque
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?29980 Milano thread

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW Glenn, consider the high back seats in the 33. I chose them just as much for having a headrest in case I get rear-ended. And in the 33 (at least with a hardtop) you don't have to worry about the looks as much.

2023-10-08 16.39.25.jpg
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100