Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: First Autocross!

Post Thanks / Like

First Autocross!

Made it to my region's (KCR) last autocross of the season yesterday! I was incredibly slow, spun once, and took out some cones but the car and I made it through in one piece. The last time I drove competitively was in 2012 and that was in a FSAE car. Definitely not like riding a bike, a lot of life has happened between then and now.

I feel like I had NO rear traction. I couldn't get a solid start in any of my 4 runs, and it felt like almost any throttle input with the car not completely straight would rotate the car (honestly that was kinda fun to be sideways all the time, but super slow!)

I'm on an open diff, and I don't have the front ARB in right now. I'm hoping the ARB helps looseness in the corners but I'm not sure what to do for the launches. I'm running Zeknova RS606 R1 235/40/17 in the rear, maybe it's the cheapo tires. Guessing a LSD will help there, but I need to financially recover from my build a bit before dropping another grand!

Anyway, super excited to have made it this far. The car is not "done" but it's registered and has an Autocross event under its belt, so I think it at least qualifies as "done-ish"

2. Likes blomb11, Rob T liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Fun!! What class did you run in?
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    (Novice) E Modified. I'm not 100% sure EM is the right one, but it looked right from my read through the rule book. At this point I'm just there for the fun, and to have a safe spot to push the car. It'll probably be some time before I start actually caring about what class I'm in or other car's time :-)

Autocross.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lpmagruder View Post
    (Novice) E Modified. I'm not 100% sure EM is the right one, but it looked right from my read through the rule book. At this point I'm just there for the fun, and to have a safe spot to push the car. It'll probably be some time before I start actually caring about what class I'm in or other car's time :-)

Autocross.png
    Lol ya. I'm just out for fun too and don't care what class I'm in. The locals put me in XP. The more I read the rule book them more I'm confused about where I belong..
    MK3 Challenge Car, Boss 347, Sniper 2 EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    EM sucks since that's basically 'unlimited everything". I was stuck in EM for a couple of years, but now you can probably be in the XA or XB - you'll have fun either way, but it is more fun if you have folks you can compete directly with.

See https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules > scroll to bottom "2023 Classic American Muscle (CAM) / Xtreme Street (X) - Updated 02/23/2023"

I'm in XB
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100