Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  23

Thread: Cobra/Coupe vs Elise/Exige drive experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Cobra/Coupe vs Elise/Exige drive experience?

Just about done paying off my truck and will be starting a slow journey into either of these. My father in law has a Backdraft Cobra I've driven and definitely enjoy. Given my region (around raleigh NC) I was considering the Coupe more than the Cobra for the simple fact of AC in the blazing heat/sun we can get here. I've also been very interested in a Lotus Elise/Exige for a number of years but have no one I know to take a spin with or drive myself. I have a few questions that will help guide me a little further if anyone can help.

1) For those in hotter and more humid climates, how has the Cobra been to drive during those hot months? This will be an every now and then car, figure about once a week maybe twice to/from work and any date night I can get with my wife.

2) has anyone had the opportunity to be in or drive both a cobra or daytona and compared it to an elise/exige? How is the drive experience? Individually I often see them described very similarly but its rare anyone has been in both.

All in these seem about the same cost wise give or take a smidge (at current market anyway). I'm a mechanical engineer and have completely restored motorcycles and quads, built precision rifles, etc. so I'd say I have a fair shot at completing a kit car decently. I would enjoy the build process just as much as driving it, but that Elise/Exige is a very nice factory car that is just as unique. Honestly off of looks I'd love either but very interested to hear any comparisons.

2. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have never driven a Lotus but I did sit in a few. Coupe vs Lotus very different cars. The Lotus is much more refined ... quieter, smoother and it will keep you dry in rain storms and cool on a hot day. Even with side windows in place on the coupe there are water leaks and it is loud even with quiet pipes, ear plugs are required. We use noise canceling head sets to talk. The coupe and cobra are fun cars and are great to drive but never as refined as any new production car. Building your own car is all part of the fun with these cars and there is a community of builder/owners who you will meet. i still have my old Mkll cobra it has been on the road now 19 years and I always look forward to driving it .... hard choice coupe or cobra what to take out for a drive.
    David W
    Last edited by David Williamson; 11-06-2023 at 04:03 PM.
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

4. Thanks Functional thanked for this post
    Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've owned a 2006 Lotus Elise and now have a Type 65 Coupe. I sold the Elise to pay for the Coupe if that tells you anything. The Elise is fun, but I found that it's charms only went so far. I also own a 1977 911 S Targa, to which the Elise often got compared.

Elise Pros:
    The Elise is a great driving experience. Very light, very quick, very small, comparatively fragile. Closer to a 4 wheel motorcycle when compared to the 911 or Type 65. It is a 1.7 L 4 cylinder Toyota 2ZZ engine with a variable cam. You really have to wind it up to get the top performance out of it. Very direct handling. You feel the road. The chassis is aluminum, and you sit very low to the ground. Very much a go kart feel.

Elise Cons:
    Very small and low. No one can see you. Very vulnerable in parking lots. Very low to the ground (front lip 4 inch clearance). You will bottom out frequently. Very fragile. The fiber glass body is a composite that gives way if you look at it wrong. When you bottom out the front lip, it will get damaged. The engine is easy and cheap to maintain. The body work is obscenely expensive. So unless you can do fiberglass repair yourself, be prepared to be intimately acquainted with a body shop. These cars are getting up in age, and non engine parts are getting more rare and more expensive. Oh, and if you're buying an Elise for the A/C, forget it. It is essentially useless. The engine is in the back and the radiator is in the front. The water hoses run along the drivers side and make it very hot on long drives. The Elise was no fun after about an hour and a half. Visibility in the rear views is limited.

People often say the Elise is a race car, but that is not really accurate. It certainly can be tracked with a little effort, and is competitive to similar cars. But you feel small and vulnerable on the highway.

Coupe Pros: Much bigger. Still low to the ground, but you will not be hitting fiberglass if you bottom out. This is basically a street legal race car. Mine has a 347 stroker. It is loud, ridiculously quick, and very responsive. I liked the Elise, but driving the Coupe is like crack. It is exhilarating every time. My Coupe is newly road worthy, so I don't have as much time in as I did the Elise. I like the Coupe better. I have installed a vintage air AC. Not charged yet, so I cannot report on it's effectiveness. Most on this board say it is OK.

Coupe Cons: Loud! Different pipes and/or Cats/mufflers can change the sound, but people will turn their heads when you drive by. Obviously, you have to build the Coupe, so there is that. To me that was part of the attraction. The fiberglass body is much more forgiving, but body work is probably the biggest headache/time suck/money pit involved with building these. It is easy to open the cash spigot and lose track of what you are doing if you are not careful. Visibility is also somewhat limited.

Other intangibles: You get a certain amount of mileage for what nostalgia itch you are scratching. If you are a Lotus aficionado, the Elise is very satisfying. If you love all things Shelby/Ford/1960s racing, the Coupe is hard to beat. The Elise is more an exotic sports car. The Coupe is a race car/street rod. My wife hated the Elise and would never ride in it. She likes the Coupe so far. Both will attract a lot of attention, so be prepared to be a "Cool Car" ambassador.

Happy to answer specific questions about either if you want more information.

6. Thanks Functional thanked for this post
    Likes GrooveM, GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, the Elise has the included English car unreliability quirkiness. The door opening module crapped out. The heater regulator sprung a leak. The rear hatch release quit working. It is a royal pain to jack it up and place on stands. The tire sizes are extremely rare. And oh, so much more.

The Coupe may let me down occasionally, but it will be because I put it together poorly or cheaped out on parts.

8. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've driven an older Elise and ridden in an enhanced 2-11 on the track. I've driven a SPF Coupe and ridden in a FFR Gen 3. Lots of miles in SPF roadsters. and a few in FFR roadsters.

There're all cars and have engines, transmissions wheels and seats, pretty much ends there.

There's nothing quite as visceral or dangerous as a roadster or coupe. It will be hard to get the acceleration of a cobra in pretty much anything else. From the driving and riding experience I don't think there's a real comparison, both the Cobra and Lotus versions are great but very different.

Do you want refined or raw? Some creature comforts? The ability to buy or build according to your needs, desires or quirks?

Tough choices. I wish you well.

Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

10. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One other plus for the FFR cars is once they are built they can be very cheap to own. You built it so you can fix it, not that I have had many repairs. Most years other than gas and insurance all mine cost is an oil change in the Fall that I do at home. There is quality "garage" time a few times a year going over the car checking it ready for a trip.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

12. Likes Nigel Allen, GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drewr View Post
    I've owned a 2006 Lotus Elise and now have a Type 65 Coupe. I sold the Elise to pay for the Coupe if that tells you anything. The Elise is fun, but I found that it's charms only went so far. I also own a 1977 911 S Targa, to which the Elise often got compared.

Elise Pros:
    The Elise is a great driving experience. Very light, very quick, very small, comparatively fragile. Closer to a 4 wheel motorcycle when compared to the 911 or Type 65. It is a 1.7 L 4 cylinder Toyota 2ZZ engine with a variable cam. You really have to wind it up to get the top performance out of it. Very direct handling. You feel the road. The chassis is aluminum, and you sit very low to the ground. Very much a go kart feel.

Elise Cons:
    Very small and low. No one can see you. Very vulnerable in parking lots. Very low to the ground (front lip 4 inch clearance). You will bottom out frequently. Very fragile. The fiber glass body is a composite that gives way if you look at it wrong. When you bottom out the front lip, it will get damaged. The engine is easy and cheap to maintain. The body work is obscenely expensive. So unless you can do fiberglass repair yourself, be prepared to be intimately acquainted with a body shop. These cars are getting up in age, and non engine parts are getting more rare and more expensive. Oh, and if you're buying an Elise for the A/C, forget it. It is essentially useless. The engine is in the back and the radiator is in the front. The water hoses run along the drivers side and make it very hot on long drives. The Elise was no fun after about an hour and a half. Visibility in the rear views is limited.

People often say the Elise is a race car, but that is not really accurate. It certainly can be tracked with a little effort, and is competitive to similar cars. But you feel small and vulnerable on the highway.

Coupe Pros: Much bigger. Still low to the ground, but you will not be hitting fiberglass if you bottom out. This is basically a street legal race car. Mine has a 347 stroker. It is loud, ridiculously quick, and very responsive. I liked the Elise, but driving the Coupe is like crack. It is exhilarating every time. My Coupe is newly road worthy, so I don't have as much time in as I did the Elise. I like the Coupe better. I have installed a vintage air AC. Not charged yet, so I cannot report on it's effectiveness. Most on this board say it is OK.

Coupe Cons: Loud! Different pipes and/or Cats/mufflers can change the sound, but people will turn their heads when you drive by. Obviously, you have to build the Coupe, so there is that. To me that was part of the attraction. The fiberglass body is much more forgiving, but body work is probably the biggest headache/time suck/money pit involved with building these. It is easy to open the cash spigot and lose track of what you are doing if you are not careful. Visibility is also somewhat limited.

Other intangibles: You get a certain amount of mileage for what nostalgia itch you are scratching. If you are a Lotus aficionado, the Elise is very satisfying. If you love all things Shelby/Ford/1960s racing, the Coupe is hard to beat. The Elise is more an exotic sports car. The Coupe is a race car/street rod. My wife hated the Elise and would never ride in it. She likes the Coupe so far. Both will attract a lot of attention, so be prepared to be a "Cool Car" ambassador.

Excellent information, thank you!

My biggest fear right now is "scope creep" with either a Coupe or Cobra build. Every time I go to run a cost sheet I can get in into the neighborhood of what I'd want to spend but then the "well I'll have it apart already I might as well do it how I want the first time" comes into my head and before I know it I'm 10K more into the exercise.

I'm not so concerned about views out of the back, with either the Lotus or Coupe build I'll likely go with one of those rear view mirrors that have the video feed from a camera in the back and run that constant.

As far as the Lotus A/C goes how horrible/useless is it compared to a Coupe with A/C? One of the main reasons I'd consider a Coupe would be for A/C but if its not worth it I will have a stronger push towards a Cobra or Lotus for openness/removeable top. Not questioning you but are you positive the one you were in had properly running A/C? I see that as a common issue among Lotus cars.

14. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Elise Pros:

Elise Cons:

Great comparison writeup from someone that has had both. But, to just sort of slip in there with 11 words, "Obviously, you have to build the Coupe, so there is that" seems like a bit of an understatement. Perhaps it should be given a bit more weight in the analysis than... everything else combined!

16. Likes Functional, GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave 53 View Post
    Great comparison writeup from someone that has had both. But, to just sort of slip in there with 11 words, "Obviously, you have to build the Coupe, so there is that" seems like a bit of an understatement. Perhaps it should be given a bit more weight in the analysis than... everything else combined!
    Ha! Yes, I guess I just assumed the OP was understanding the whole kit car premise of the Coupe, but it is a huge commitment of time and resources. You've obviously got to want to put it together, have a reasonable place to do it, have reasonable access to tools, and be comfortable improvising. I joke with my wife that everything about the kit "almost" fits. It's the most awesome model kit I've every built.

Money-wise, you're the same ballpark. I sold my Elise in 2021 for $37K. Current Elises run for $40-60K depending of a few options and mileage. I'm probably $40K into my coupe as a completed driver, but it is unpainted (probably $10-20K more).

My Elise had a functioning AC that blew cold air. Just not much of it, nor very forcefully. There are 4 vents that sort of whisper cool-ish air into the cabin. Like I said in the earlier post, the construction of car lends itself to heating up. The interior is bare aluminum which conducts heat very well. There is no insulation or carpeting. I'm on the central coast in CA, so it never gets really hot, but the Elise would get uncomfortable. I got it in Memphis, TN and had a chance to drive it there. HOT!

The Coupe can be well insulated. Most guys will add insulating pads to reduce noise and heat. Also Factory Five sells a carpet kit for the Coupe. Many posts on this forum attest to the ability to control in-cabin heat in the Coupe. I don't have my AC running, yet (Haven't needed it). Look at some of the build threads (EdwardB's is very thorough) on the coupe section of the forum. My understanding is that the Vintage AC works reasonably well. Maybe not "modern car instant cold air blasting" well, but well enough to cool the car.

Both are cool cars. Very different. Each has its own set of issues to grapple with. As my grandmother would say, "You pick your troubles."

18. Likes Functional, GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fully expect building Coupe/Roadster will be an undertaking. I'm anticipating this stretching somewhere from the 1.5yr to 2 year timeframe easily, likely more depending on what I may or may not farm out. The only aspect of this build that intimidates me is engine electrical. Been researching both a Coyote build and just a 351w/427 build but I've never been involved with engine electrical beyond extremely basic stuff. Granted neither of these paths are new so there is tons of information and people to pull knowledge from just here let alone other resources. Truthfully the build is half if not more of the reason I'm even considering a Coupe/Roadster.

The A/C in the Lotus is a bummer. Going to have to see if that can be improved and if so what it takes to get it to cool better. If it cant be improved that pretty much knocks it down to the Roadster level and will only be used with no top/windows in the summer. This doesn't exclude it completely yet but that is a bummer to hear. I'm not as far south as Memphis but I'm just about level with Murfreesboro out here in eastern NC by Raleigh. Either way I'd consider it comparable to what you likely felt.

I've at this point combed through Paul's Coupe build 3 times now and working on my 2nd run through of his 20th anniversary build. There are a lot of nice builds on here but his documentation detail is incredible. It amazes me that he completes his builds in the time he does and is still able to photograph and write up what he does.

It's really going to come down to which "dream" I want to have. I was hoping I'd have some experienced people say something that would steer me hard between Lotus and Build but I havent seen that quite yet. Aside from the looks the Lotus is appealing because it seems I could have both a Coupe (top on, windows, enclosed, etc.) and a Roadster (top off, windows down) experience in one vehicle.

20. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your first decision needs to be between "Do I want to build my own car or do I want to buy one?" IMO it is almost impossible to describe the sense of accomplishment and pride, not only that you have in yourself but that others will have in you, when you show someone the car and say "I built this!" compared to "Look what I bought!". Anybody ca buy a car but your in a unique club when you've build it.

As to your second subject, I too used Pauls build as a guide to my coupe build. Instead of the 5 liter Coyote I went the SBF with a Sniper EFI. I did not want to deal with the extra wiring involved. Wiring the Sniper was a lot easier. I was also partial to the sound of a pushrod 427.

Lastly, building the coupe is an undertaking. Before building mine the most I had ever done on a car was change brakes. Now I have a 500HP coupe that turns heads anywhere it goes, and I can proudly say "I built this!" Everybody on this forum is more than willing to aid in any way we can.
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

22. Likes Functional, GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Functional View Post
    Fully expect building Coupe/Roadster will be an undertaking. I'm anticipating this stretching somewhere from the 1.5yr to 2 year timeframe easily, likely more depending on what I may or may not farm out. The only aspect of this build that intimidates me is engine electrical. Been researching both a Coyote build and just a 351w/427 build but I've never been involved with engine electrical beyond extremely basic stuff. Granted neither of these paths are new so there is tons of information and people to pull knowledge from just here let alone other resources. Truthfully the build is half if not more of the reason I'm even considering a Coupe/Roadster.

The A/C in the Lotus is a bummer. Going to have to see if that can be improved and if so what it takes to get it to cool better. If it cant be improved that pretty much knocks it down to the Roadster level and will only be used with no top/windows in the summer. This doesn't exclude it completely yet but that is a bummer to hear. I'm not as far south as Memphis but I'm just about level with Murfreesboro out here in eastern NC by Raleigh. Either way I'd consider it comparable to what you likely felt.

I've at this point combed through Paul's Coupe build 3 times now and working on my 2nd run through of his 20th anniversary build. There are a lot of nice builds on here but his documentation detail is incredible. It amazes me that he completes his builds in the time he does and is still able to photograph and write up what he does.

It's really going to come down to which "dream" I want to have. I was hoping I'd have some experienced people say something that would steer me hard between Lotus and Build but I havent seen that quite yet. Aside from the looks the Lotus is appealing because it seems I could have both a Coupe (top on, windows, enclosed, etc.) and a Roadster (top off, windows down) experience in one vehicle.
    You should check out the forums on Lotustalk.com. Lots of info and experiences with all kinds of Lotus (plural for Lotus). I learned a lot on that forum. I'm not trying to talk you out of the Elise. It has many ardent fans. It's just a very specific kind of car. Full disclosure, I inherited mine from my father. So I wasn't especially looking for an Elise. I am a big Lotus history fan, especially 1960's, Jim Clark era Formula 1 (Lotus 49 with a Ford Cosworth DFV engine). So I was inclined to like it. It was Ardent Red with black wheels. It needed quite a bit of work, which I like to do. I was very excited about it when I received it. Once I had completed the repairs, I found that working on it was way more fun than owning it. My kids (middle schoolers at the time) were embarrassed to be seen in it. My wife thought it was ridiculous. So no one would drive with me. Coupled with the fact that it was hard to even get out of my driveway without scraping the front lip, it soon became more of a bother than an enjoyment. You also have to be an acrobat to get in and out of it. I'm only 5'6", but found it challenging. As I mentioned, it was very delicate. Many things would break in my hands. Parts were easy enough to get, it just started to make me nervous. I hated parking it in any kind of public space for fear that someone would bump it and crack the body. The one thing the Elise is really good for is going on a fun drive. If you buy it with the goal of setting aside pure driving time, canyon carving, curvy roads, highway, etc. you will love it. If you want a daily driver, date car, commute car, you may be disappointed. Funny enough, no one knew what it was. "Is that a Ferrari?" was what I was asked many times at gas stations.

I had different goals for the Coupe. I really wanted to build a car. I really love the history of Shelby and the Daytona Coupe in particular. I really like Ford engines. My sons helped me build it, so they are fully into it now. My wife thinks it's really cool that I built it and is proud to be seen in it. She's kind of down on the exhaust smell, but that is a common wife complaint on this forum. The construction of the coupe is rock solid. The body is fiberglass, but very sturdy. Not nearly as mickey mouse as the Elise. Most people know what it is. I get lots of comments on it. It's also really fun to drive. I can see using it for date nights, weekends away, going on drives, etc. It is really loud, so it is hard to keep a low profile. You are basically announcing your arrival wherever you go. So going to work? Maybe not for me. I have to maintain some veneer of professionalism.

I think both of these are cars for play more than for regular use. I drive a '22 Mustang GT as my daily. Good luck with your decision. If you end up with a Factory Five, you will find lots of friendly help here.
    Last edited by drewr; 11-09-2023 at 12:45 PM.

24. Thanks Functional thanked for this post
    Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Namrups View Post
    Your first decision needs to be between "Do I want to build my own car or do I want to buy one?" IMO it is almost impossible to describe the sense of accomplishment and pride, not only that you have in yourself but that others will have in you, when you show someone the car and say "I built this!" compared to "Look what I bought!". Anybody ca buy a car but your in a unique club when you've build it.

As to your second subject, I too used Pauls build as a guide to my coupe build. Instead of the 5 liter Coyote I went the SBF with a Sniper EFI. I did not want to deal with the extra wiring involved. Wiring the Sniper was a lot easier. I was also partial to the sound of a pushrod 427.

Lastly, building the coupe is an undertaking. Before building mine the most I had ever done on a car was change brakes. Now I have a 500HP coupe that turns heads anywhere it goes, and I can proudly say "I built this!" Everybody on this forum is more than willing to aid in any way we can.
    I can understand just about all of this post to a degree. I remember the first time I completely (engine and all) tore down a motorcycle down to every piece and restored it and the feeling after. Let alone the shock on my fathers face when it fired up on the 2nd kick. (at the time I was 15 but I remember it like it happened yesterday). As for the engine, I've listed Coyote but to be truthful its a few steps behind a 351w build for me (potentially EFI sniper as well). Although the coyote easily makes great HP and is very smooth I don't hear it having the same rumble as a 351/427 engine that gets me jittery. I'd be going for a "modest" 400-425hp at the crank, plenty to have fun and get the sound but nothing to get myself in too much trouble. Your build is also one I've been following along with since the start, you have your health struggles and I have mine (and coming up) and its great to see what you've accomplished and how things have been going for you.

You should check out the forums on Lotustalk.com. Lots of info and experiences with all kinds of Lotus (plural for Lotus). I learned a lot on that forum. I'm not trying to talk you out of the Elise. It has many ardent fans. It's just a very specific kind of car. Full disclosure, I inherited mine from my father. So I wasn't especially looking for an Elise. I am a big Lotus history fan, especially 1960's, Jim Clark era Formula 1 (Lotus 49 with a Ford Cosworth DFV engine). So I was inclined to like it. It was Ardent Red with black wheels. It needed quite a bit of work, which I like to do. I was very excited about it when I received it. Once I had completed the repairs, I found that working on it was way more fun than owning it. My kids (middle schoolers at the time) were embarrassed to be seen in it. My wife thought it was ridiculous. So no one would drive with me. Coupled with the fact that it was hard to even get out of my driveway without scraping the front lip, it soon became more of a bother than an enjoyment. You also have to be an acrobat to get in and out of it. I'm only 5'6", but found it challenging. As I mentioned, it was very delicate. Many things would break in my hands. Parts were easy enough to get, it just started to make me nervous. I hated parking it in any kind of public space for fear that someone would bump it and crack the body. The one thing the Elise is really good for is going on a fun drive. If you buy it with the goal of setting aside pure driving time, canyon carving, curvy roads, highway, etc. you will love it. If you want a daily driver, date car, commute car, you may be disappointed. Funny enough, no one knew what it was. "Is that a Ferrari?" was what I was asked many times at gas stations.

I had different goals for the Coupe. I really wanted to build a car. I really love the history of Shelby and the Daytona Coupe in particular. I really like Ford engines. My sons helped me build it, so they are fully into it now. My wife thinks it's really cool that I built it and is proud to be seen in it. She's kind of down on the exhaust smell, but that is a common wife complaint on this forum. The construction of the coupe is rock solid. The body is fiberglass, but very sturdy. Not nearly as mickey mouse as the Elise. Most people know what it is. I get lots of comments on it. It's also really fun to drive. I can see using it for date nights, weekends away, going on drives, etc. It is really loud, so it is hard to keep a low profile. You are basically announcing your arrival wherever you go. So going to work? Maybe not for me. I have to maintain some veneer of professionalism.

I think both of these are cars for play more than for regular use. I drive a '22 Mustang GT as my daily. Good luck with your decision. If you end up with a Factory Five, you will find lots of friendly help here.
    I enjoy the history as well, I don't know it intimately but enough as an engineer to really appreciate the leaps and risks taken when developing the Daytona. While I love the look and simplicity of the cobra the Daytona speaks to me more. I really do appreciate your input on both cars, I truly wasn't expecting to get any input since it would be rare for someone to have had both of these particular cars. You aren't the only one I've seen say the Lotus are fragile and with the cost of clams that is one aspect that has me worried. My wife's input is between the Daytona and the Lotus, mainly for times she drives with me if the open top messing up her hair. She also has memories of her father getting let down when he wanted to take her out for a cruise in his cobra and the constant letdown when there was any threat of rain. Her preference is something that can have a top so its not as risky IF there's any potential for rain (my goal is to avoid it but NC rain happens when it wants to unexpectedly).

At this point I'm leaning pretty good towards the Daytona. It will not be a daily driver, mostly for fun cruising, a few date nights and a few weekends away with my wife. For those purposes it seems the most practical but I have a little time before money gets put anywhere. I have a 19 Tundra as a daily and have no intention of this taking its place. My job, while professional, is with a lot of country folk and half the company is blue collar. I'd probably get more people coming to my office to talk about it then any judgement of for driving it in. Not to mention we have a whole fleet maintenance department I'm sure I'll end up at for an after work show and tell.

Last benefit is my in-laws (one with the cobra) live 3 hours from Factory Five. Would be a nice family trip to visit the in-laws and take my father-in-law along for the pickup. I think he would consider it an even trade for use of his trailer to get him a tour of the facility on pickup.

26. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2011 Challenger as my DD but I must admit that, this summer, I put more miles on my coupe than I did my Challenger. It is so much fun to drive and draws so much attension that if the weather is good I was looking for reasons to drive it! (And yes the trip to the store for a loaf of bread was one excuse!)
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

28. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I may be late to the party and missed missed some of the previous post nuances, but...

FFR roadster vs Lotus elise/exige...apples to oranges IMHO.

If you want a cool car to drive around that you built...FFR roadster hands down. I admit that I do get a kick at cars and coffee bcs what sets us apart is that we built it!

Building aside, the Lotus Elise/exige is not that that great of a track car and not unusually sexy - I have driven it and against it a lot.

FFR roadster = cool car for cruising, hagning with friends, etc.

Lotus...pretty, but slow for track..not terribly sexy for night out with wife...not a good deal imho

Happay to chat off line if desired.

30. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My 2 cents; You might consider contacting some Lotus owners through a local Lotus club. Try "lotus talk.com". In general car enthusiasts are very helpful and generous with their time to fellow or potential owners, as you can see on this FFR website. In particular, when I was considering a Caterham 7 purchase, I was able to drive an owners car and easily decide it was not for me. A few hours drive up to New Hampshire was worth it. I also had similar luck with "speedsterowners.com" when considering a Porsche 356 replica.
    Another thought is to go ahead and buy an Elise in excellent condition with the mindset that you can sell it if you don't want to keep it. You will likely take a negligible hit financially, again assuming it is a great shape and you advertise in the right places. You might even make money. These are pretty uncommon cars with an enthusiastic following and hold their value. Good luck. Ed Klein

32. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Functional View Post

1) For those in hotter and more humid climates, how has the Cobra been to drive during those hot months? This will be an every now and then car, figure about once a week maybe twice to/from work and any date night I can get with my wife.

...I'm a mechanical engineer and have completely restored motorcycles and quads, built precision rifles, etc. so I'd say I have a fair shot at completing a kit car decently. I would enjoy the build process just as much as driving it, but that Elise/Exige is a very nice factory car that is just as unique. Honestly off of looks I'd love either but very interested to hear any comparisons.
    I live south of Houston TX, so you could say we got some heat and humidity here! I have seat heaters and the heater/defroster kit which help in the cold weather, and seat ventilators and a home-made footbox blower which help in the 5-6 months of summer. I've driven my roadster in 40 degree weather (over 5 hrs straight on the highway) and 100 degree weather. When the weather is hot, it's uncomfortable really only when you're sitting still because you're sitting in a black bathtub with the sun beating down - and that's where the seat ventilator and footbox blower help a lot. In 14 years, I've put over 15k miles on my roadster in all sorts of weather. The little accessories and proper attire help to make the roadster comfortable for a wide variety of temperatures. However, my roadster rarely gets out of the garage in August (when the heat index is over 105-110 degrees). That gives me a ~11 month driving season, which is pretty good!

I'll second the statements regarding the rawness of the roadster. It's not plush, it's not loaded with bells and whistles, but it is a total blast to drive. You can't/shouldn't be distracted or lackadaisical when driving it; it demands attention - which makes it that much more fun to me. It's loud - but above 40 mph, most of the noise is wind buffeting and tire noise (many of the roads around here are grooved concrete so there's lots of tire/road noise). Maybe the Coupe would be a little quieter in that respect.

As an engineer (yes, I am a rocket scientist) who loves to build stuff and work with my hands, building my roadster was a great joy. I recommend it and I hope to do it again someday (maybe a 33 Hotrod).

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

34. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scrubs View Post
    I may be late to the party and missed missed some of the previous post nuances, but...

FFR roadster vs Lotus elise/exige...apples to oranges IMHO.

If you want a cool car to drive around that you built...FFR roadster hands down. I admit that I do get a kick at cars and coffee bcs what sets us apart is that we built it!

Building aside, the Lotus Elise/exige is not that that great of a track car and not unusually sexy - I have driven it and against it a lot.

FFR roadster = cool car for cruising, hagning with friends, etc.

Lotus...pretty, but slow for track..not terribly sexy for night out with wife...not a good deal imho

Happay to chat off line if desired.
    I have never driven an Elise. But, have been on track with many of them I did get a ride in one at Thunderhill Raceway last weekend. I'm gonna push back on the idea that they aren't a great track car. They have their pro's and con's like every other car, but my observation is they are a very very capable track car. Somewhere between a Miata and a GT3.

I guess it begs the question, what makes a great track car? There is no correct answer (other than Miata Is Always The Answer).

I'm going to be racing a Dodge Caravan in a Lemons race in February and it's going to be perfect!
    Last edited by Dave 53; 12-15-2023 at 04:46 PM.

36. Likes GoDadGo liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Building a car is a life changing experience that cannot be replaced nor replicated by simply purchasing a cool car.
    Just understand that the completed car will be what you make it and this task is not for everyone.
    It will likely test your patience, mechanical, electrical and general automotive skills.
    While we all hope you build a Factory Five, this journey isn't the easiest.

This video may help you really get the feel for the Factory Five Type-65 Coupe another great replica.
    https://youtu.be/eyauQw0APW8

This video may give you a good feel for the Elise and another well known car.
    https://youtu.be/1AfB3RyCXfw

This video, done 10 years ago, may help you understand what Factory Five cars can do on the track.
    https://youtu.be/V96-AQ1FghI

Good Luck!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-16-2023 at 10:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good choice of useful videos, Steve. I will add: everydaydriver.com, search "5 days in a Lotus Elise" for more analysis of the Elise. Finally, search YouTube for "Jay Emm on cars" for a great source of British car reviews in general, with several on Lotuses, including the Elise "family".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave 53 View Post
    I'm gonna push back on the idea that they aren't a great track car. They have their pro's and con's like every other car, but my observation is they are a very very capable track car. Somewhere between a Miata and a GT3.

I guess it begs the question, what makes a great track car? There is no correct answer (other than Miata Is Always The Answer).

1) You are probably spot on regarding where the lotus falls in the spectrum - the middle, which to me is the problem. If you wanna wheel to wheel, (yep, gonna say it...SM for the win). Want to buy a car with a warranty and track here and there for fun, Lotus is fine. Wanna really haul ***, Lotus leaves you wanting more.

2) As GoDadGo mentioned, buying a cool car vs building a cool car...different altogether. I love talking about the build with others. I am no FFR fanboy, but the "built, not bought," feels good.