BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Transmissions & Pedal Box space

Post Thanks / Like

Transmissions & Pedal Box space

I've been digging through threads here researching the best options while ordering a Type 65.

I am not dead-set on any specific engine/trans combo yet, so more doing research into the best options.

I am not a small guy (235lb) and wear size 15 shoes. I was already thinking maybe an Auto would be a good option, but after reading about the pedal box being pretty tight for guys with bigger feet, it seems I might really want to go auto to remove a pedal. If I do that, I really think I'd like to get a sequential paddle-shift setup for the fun factor over just a typical automatic. I also was planning on a quick-release wheel, so doing both of those might be a bit tricky. I'm not sure if anyone has ventured into that customization or knows of setups that do work.

I'm open to LS# Engines, the Coyote, or even any engine the Type 65 works with as a base assuming it matches a trans that "fits" in Type 65, and could run with paddle-shifters.

Looking for help and thoughts, from "suck it up, get a manual, and don't wear shoes" to details about any customizations needed for any combos that might work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Size 15 is going to be tight in any car and narrow driving shoes help. I find even size 11 running shoes are too wide with the standard pedal location. I have Piloti driving shoes that are narrower. If you go with a Windsor block based engine or LS with a manual the foot box can be modified to give more room because they are smaller than the Coyote. The Wilwood pedal pads can also be moved to the left giving more room arround the accelerator. Really suggest you try to find a local builder that will let you sit in a car so you can see how it fits and look at how it can be modifed to fit you. My son who is 6-3 and has size 12's fits easily but he is also thin and 32 years old.
    Good luck and I hope you can figure it out.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

3. Thanks RocketF85 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I think height is your biggest enemy in the Coupe. Yes the footbox is small compared to a regular car, but I think there is still lots of room to play— and yes, as mentioned earlier, you can adjust the placement of the pedal pads with the Wilwood to some extent to accommodate shoe size and width. I'm 6'1", 11W shoes, and weigh a fair amount more than 235lb and have never felt uncomfortable. Yes it's a tight fit compared to a street car, but compared to many race and exotic cars, it's downright spacious. The only thing that is close to being a problem for me is the roof height, but I also could move my seat lower if I had to.

But as David mentioned, best bet is to find a builder who will let you sit in one, or take a trip to the factory. I definitely wouldn't base your entire transmission decision for the sake of removing a pedal without trying one on for size first.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 11-20-2023 at 03:51 PM.
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

5. Thanks RocketF85 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, that does make sense. In my intro thread, member Namsrup graciously offered to let me take a peek at his if I'm ever in the capital region of NY, which is only ~3 hours away. I also was already thinking of contacting Factory Five to schedule a tour shortly.

I don't know of any other Coupes up here in Rochester/Buffalo, but it's definitely possible I just haven't seen them.

7. Likes Namrups liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to widen the footbox and that made a huge difference.

20230414_134239.jpg
    20230414_134313.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by burchfieldb View Post
    I was able to widen the footbox and that made a huge difference.

20230414_134239.jpg
    20230414_134313.jpg
    Do you have any other pics of how you modified the Forte throttle pedal assembly to accept the FF pedal? I'm looking at doing the same thing and if I don't have to reinvent the wheel, that would awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I can send a picture when I get back home on Sunday. I cut off the pedal pad, drilled a hole for the pivot through the arm, and hooked the spring around the pedal arm.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an LS going in and modified both footboxes to take advantage of the narrow engine. I am a size 11 shoe and the width was a bigger concern for me. The widened foot box makes a big difference. I assume you would have a similar chance to widen the footbox with most smaller push rod engines. I did notice that the FFR headers must be hand built as they are not perfectly symmetrical. I had to remake my passenger foot box as it had less room than the driver side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neilkuy View Post
    I have an LS going in and modified both footboxes to take advantage of the narrow engine. I am a size 11 shoe and the width was a bigger concern for me. The widened foot box makes a big difference. I assume you would have a similar chance to widen the footbox with most smaller push rod engines. I did notice that the FFR headers must be hand built as they are not perfectly symmetrical. I had to remake my passenger foot box as it had less room than the driver side.
    I wear a size 12 and it was really tight with the standard footbox. The added space is a night and day difference. I also widen the passenger side, but used the space to relocate the heater bypass valve. I am running a 351 Cleveland, so will also be making custom headers, since they are not supported by FFR.

20230415_141956.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallmosty View Post
    Do you have any other pics of how you modified the Forte throttle pedal assembly to accept the FF pedal? I'm looking at doing the same thing and if I don't have to reinvent the wheel, that would awesome!
    Here are some pictures of what I did to modify the Forte accelerator pedal.
    20231126_124301.jpg
    20231126_124255.jpg