BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake lights

Post Thanks / Like

Brake lights

Got all lights working correctly except for the brake lights. Page 463 in the Truck build manual states "The lights DO NOT get wired to the Brake purple wire".

Ok..... so how do i get the brake lights to work?

RF Harness, Steering column turn signal.

TIA

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Did you wire in the tail light adapter? It turns the rear lights from 4 wires to 3. Im assuming you wired in the brake switch at the pedal?

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes sir, brake switch is in and workin correctly. Yes i followed the instrucions to redo the tail ligt from ..... dont know hom many there was but there are 3 wires now. Not sure what the next step is....

What is the tail light adapter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have the Ididit steering column with the hot rod harness connection from the RF harness? And are your rear lights the kit supplied LED's with only two wires and a ground? If so, that's the same as my truck build and they worked. Key points:

- There is no added tail light adapter required. The mixing is done via circuitry in the Ididit column.
    - You should have only two wires attached to the rear lights. Running lights and turn signal lights. You don't attach the purple brake light wires. The Ididit circuitry applies both turn signal lights as brake lights.
    - You should have the brake light switch wired per the manual at the brake pedal.
    - Make sure to follow the instructions in the manual (starting on page 248 in my version) to isolate certain wires in the harness that could potentially interact with the wiring when using the hot rod steering column connection: "Locate the dash harness section of the chassis harness. Cut the horn wire back and tape the end so that it will not ground out and make the horn go off once they are connected. Cut the (pink) hazard wire back and tape the end so that it will not ground out and pop the brake fuse. Cut the yellow and white rear turn signal light wires off the turn signal connectors that are for the dash turn signal switch so that the turn signal lights do not back feed and light the front turn signals when the brakes are pressed."

Mine worked exactly as it should have, including the brake lights. I did have a problem with an intermittent GM turn signal switch in the Ididit column. Which I replaced at their direction and they paid for it. But that didn't affect the overall function and how it should be wired. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-26-2023 at 07:21 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Edward, I will recheck what I have done and maybe missed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Edward,

I have done exactly that. Cut the Left and Right turn wires at the connection by the IDIDIT column. Still no brake lights and it dosent make sense to me, brake switch is wired with orange going to the fuse panel and the purple runn back to the tail lights. The purple wire is NOT connected to anything. So how does the brake pedal acivate the brake lights when the purples NOT connected. There is only feed to the brake/clutch switch and purple going out and not connected.

Confused would be an understatement....

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wingardh View Post
    Edward,

I have done exactly that. Cut the Left and Right turn wires at the connection by the IDIDIT column. Still no brake lights and it dosent make sense to me, brake switch is wired with orange going to the fuse panel and the purple runn back to the tail lights. The purple wire is NOT connected to anything. So how does the brake pedal acivate the brake lights when the purples NOT connected. There is only feed to the brake/clutch switch and purple going out and not connected.

Confused would be an understatement....

Chris
    First I want to make sure you didn't cut the wires at the Hot Rod Column Connection that go into the Ididit column. If you did, reconnect. Every single wire on that connector into the Ididit column is required for the setup to work. Just in case you did cut those wires, the instructions I quoted (directly from the manual) says to locate the turn signal wires in the dash harness. The point is that with the direct connection to the Ididit column for turn signal, hazards, brakes, and horn) via the Hot Rod Column Connection, the wires cited in the instructions aren't needed and if left loose they could inadvertently touch something and cause a problem.

Regarding the purple brake wire, if you look at the wiring harness diagram in the Chassis Wiring Harness installation instructions (it's your friend...) you can see that the purple wire coming off the cold side of the brake light switch does go to the rear lights as you said. But it also has a leg that goes to the Hot Rod Column Connection. That's where the signal comes from to turn on the brake lights when the pedal is pushed. When the brake switch closes, the +12V from the fuse panel via the orange wire to the switch and is sent to the column via the purple wire. It column switches on both left and right turn signal elements in the 2-wire rear lights to act as brake lights. Not to confuse the issue, but if you have the turn signals on and push the brake pedal, one side flashes (the turn) and the other side burns solid (the brakes). It works. It really does.

Paul B. (EdwardB on the forum)
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-30-2023 at 09:58 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 65 Cobra Dude View Post
    Did you wire in the tail light adapter? It turns the rear lights from 4 wires to 3. Im assuming you wired in the brake switch at the pedal?

Henry
    Neither the hot rod nor the truck require an adaptor. The use of an Ididit steering column with internal wiring makes these builds different than the roadster and coupe.... Looks like Paul (EdwardB) is working through it with him

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, Thank you Thank you. Problem fixed. There was no second leg from the brake light switch to the IDIDIT connector. I installed it and all works as advertised. I dont know if the second leg should have been included in the harness or not. I just snipped the long purple-dead-anyway and conected it this way.

Thanks again, with out you I would have been totaly bald!

Thanks

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wingardh View Post
    Paul, Thank you Thank you. Problem fixed. There was no second leg from the brake light switch to the IDIDIT connector. I installed it and all works as advertised. I dont know if the second leg should have been included in the harness or not. I just snipped the long purple-dead-anyway and conected it this way.

Thanks again, with out you I would have been totaly bald!

Thanks

Chris
    Can't explain why the harness was missing that wire. But glad it's working. And lets not bring the hair situation into the discussion.

Post Thanks / Like
    No worries... thanks again.