Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: After the fact fuel tank modification.

Post Thanks / Like

After the fact fuel tank modification.

Maybe someone might find this useful.
    When I built my 33Hot Rod in roughly 2014 I did not want to use the stock FFR fuel pickup location so I welded a bung on the bottom of the tank near the back edge for a gravity fed EFI fuel pump and welded on a plate to close up the top pick up location. I regrettably did not add any baffling in the tank at that time. As you might have guessed there was quite a bit of sloshing around when the tank was less than half full. I lived with that for 13,000 miles and decided this would be the winter I would take care of that issue even if it meant taking the body off so I could get the gas tank out. I figured out a way to do it without removing the fuel tank. I think the following photos are pretty much self-explanatory. I really don’t want this to become a “should have bought a Boyd tank” thread. As I said at the beginning someone might find this useful. Needless to say welding on a gas tank that has had fuel in it should not be taken lightly. After draining the tank I pumped warm,dry air through the tank for 36 hours to be sure to get all the liquid and fumes out.
    KIMG1056.jpgKIMG1057.jpgKIMG1058.jpgKIMG1059.jpgKIMG1061.jpg
    Last edited by stacked33; 11-27-2023 at 08:26 AM.

2. Thanks RoadRacer thanked for this post
    Likes Just 1 More, Jeff33Ford, JimLev liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice.. but I have to ask! Why the flap? Won't the restriction from the little holes in the plate sufficiently slow the movement?

Thinking it through.. perhaps it's because the pickup is on the right (of the photo), and the flap will keep more gas on that side when you get low?
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, exactly. The flap keeps the fuel on the right (pick up side) of the baffle longer.

5. Thanks RoadRacer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You ever spill coffee from the cup? No perforated baffle, door, or hinge will help. Traditionally fuel tank baffles are just bulkheads with a bleed passage on the bottom to allow the static fuel level to stabilize.
    Oil pan pick up dynamics are another thing.
    jim