Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: G96 transaxle swap

Post Thanks / Like

G96 transaxle swap

Hey guys,
    Looking for some input on the g96/01, I reached out to a builder that posted in the past for some info, but as we complete our cars, we don’t always check back into the forum ( I’m guilty of this as well) I have a completely rebuilt g96 w/lsd that i purchased for my gen 2 project I picked up over the summer.
    However, I was thinking of swapping it into my finished Gen 1 car over the winter. I currently have a g50/05 and was told by the trans builder, that the g50’s are becoming very expensive and obviously more valuable now. He also said they doesn’t shift half as nice as the g96. So, my question is to anyone running a g96, what are your thoughts? Was it a straight forward install for the most part?. I do know fabrication is involved on rear trans mount and I’m not worried about that. The g50 is nice and smooth with the cable shifter for mellow street driving, but you need to know exactly the shift pattern and it has to be firm shifts. I’m looking for a more oem type shift and want to track the car a bit in the future. I have the Porsche 996 shifter as well and would also be looking for a company that can make longer cables to retain all the Porsche cable ends. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know you already have a G96, but I believe the G86 would be a better choice. My reading seemed to indicate that it has the same internals as the G96, but is setup for mid engine so it doesn't need to be run upside. It's good up to about 400HP in stock form. Not sure on the financials of selling the G96 to buy a G86.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the company I use to make me custom cables...

https://www.controlcables.com/push-pull-cables/
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    The 86/20 is exactly the same as the g96. I did look into it for another project, and the rebuild cost with lsd and oil cooler was almost the same as what I paid for the g96

Post Thanks / Like
    The G96-01 is very different than the G96-50 that I'm familiar with....so not sure what is involved in installing it. I do recall one builder here attempting to install one, but not sure what ever became of that or who it was? Looks like the starter comes in from the engine side instead of the transmission side like the G50's and G96-50's.....so I doubt the FFR-supplied adapter plate will work. Not sure about the flywheel, clutch or axles? If none of that stuff is compatible......even though the transaxles are considerably cheaper and more readily available, the juice might not be worth the squeeze by the time you buy a new adapter plate, starter, custom made flywheel, clutch, axles......
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

6. Likes rolfer liked this post