Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Front suspension finishing

Post Thanks / Like

Front suspension finishing

First let me thank those in advance for all the help I receive on this forum. It's great that builders are willing to share their knowledge and experience so others, like myself that are new to this, may benefit and I hope to be able to do the same one day.
    Anyway, this is more of a cosmetic suspension question. I'm planning on full fenders and running boards so, was wondering how much of the front control arms will be visible that I need to worry about color coordinating or just finish same as black frame?

Thanks as always,
    JW

Post Thanks / Like
    Did the same on my truck build. Full fenders, running boards, etc. I sprayed the front suspension parts satin black with 2-part epoxy. The rest of the frame I custom powder coated bright silver. Final result was fine IMO. The suspension parts aren't visible unless you look underneath, and they look finished.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Thanks jwelch7818 thanked for this post
    Likes jwelch7818 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends the angle you look at the front end. Here is a shot from me standing towards the bottom of the driveway where you see quite a bit of the lower control arms. If your standing close to the car you don't see it given the front fenders slope down pretty far.

Jim

20210725_104531.jpg
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

5. Thanks jwelch7818 thanked for this post
    Likes RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I certainly see what you mean....nice color and i really love the headlamps.

JW

7. Thanks 33fromSD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    JW,

I'm not sure if you started thinking about it yet or not, but the front fenders, running boards and side engine panels have quite a bit of flex if installed unsupported. There are other ways guys have done it too who can chime in here also, but I added additional supports that tie back to the frame in the engine bay which really stiffens up the front fenders / side panels (see post #249 in my build).

I also added three running board supports on each side (Post #233 in my build) which allows people to step/stand on the running boards and they will not flex.

Also to help stiffen things up, I added aluminum plates on either side of the front fender & running board and rear fender & running board where they are bolted together.

Just some thoughts.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

9. Thanks jwelch7818 thanked for this post
    Likes jwelch7818 liked this post