BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Carbon fiber fender straight cut

Post Thanks / Like

Carbon fiber fender straight cut

I am doing the '35 truck. I ordered it with the Hot Rod carbon fenders instead of the full fender and floorboard setup. Was told it would look great and YES they would fit.....Not so much. Problem is the rear carbon fiber fenders are not straight/flush with the bed side. The mounting side needs to be cut and mounting tabs installed inside for mounting the fender to the bed side. I have discovered by mounting the front fenders that carbon fiber is absolutely SUPER hard.

What is the best method of cutting the fenders mounting side in an absolute super straight line. Method and tool?

Hoping someone has done this or have expertise on the matter.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d use a thin kerf blade in an angle grinder. Afterwards clean the cut up using 80 on a DA. Protect yourself with a good particulate mask—-carbon fiber dust is nasty stuff.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff, how about a circle saw or a table saw? Being straight is the critical issue.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0972.jpgIMG_1029.jpgIMG_1035.jpgIMG_1037.jpg

Was trying to post pictures of my modifications to the carbon fiber fenders to fit on the truck. Had better luck with that than posting pictures. Any way I show the blade i used on an angle grinder. Worked great. Then used west system epoxy to laminate in a 2" flange to secure the fender to the bed side. Please ask questions if you need to...anyone, maybe one day i get the picture posting up to speed.
    Last edited by Chris Wingardh; 12-17-2023 at 08:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_1060.jpgIMG_1061.jpgIMG_1058.jpgIMG_1057.jpgIMG_1060.jpgIMG_1061.jpgIMG_1058.jpgIMG_1057.jpg

Finaly got the last few pictures in. I really like how they came out, lot of work. I will keep the carbon fiber fenders unpainted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Chris; picked up my fenders, from the guy who can't seem to get around to the job; ordered two blades (thank you for the info) any suggestions or issues for making the cut - beyond what is obvious in your post, mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my fenders trimmed ( bought the disk you recommended and it worked great, thank you) and we are forming a 5' length of 1X2 aluminum angle to make the flange; going to use 5200 to bond - let you know in a couple of days

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good Mike, let me see som pictures when you are done...... starting thr paint process here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fender are cut and aluminum flange formed; going to bond with 5200 tomorrow; will post pics soon