Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dash Fit and Fuel Filler questions

Post Thanks / Like

Dash Fit and Fuel Filler questions

I thought I would post this as 2 subjects but not sure if it is appropriate or allowed, so you get one.

I am rolling happily along with my build, the wonderful days and the cursing days that you finally finish and look back and say I did it.

I have two quick questions.
    1) When test mounting my dash it does not go to the top of the mounting hoop due to the gauges stopping it in the back. Is this ok, or do I need to be making adjustments? (picture attached)
    2) When running the fuel filler tubes there is not a 90 degree tube, just what I assume is the one that works with the 427 models .. I assume I can just cut it and assemble it from there? (picture atteched)

Confirming this is a 289.

Thanks as usual for all of the help.

fred 289 1.jpgfred 289 2.jpg

Fred
    Last edited by FredG; 12-07-2023 at 01:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Fred I battled this question as well. In the end the center of the dash goes to the top of the hoop. The sides will come above the hoop about 3/8 - 1/2". Mine wasn't a 289 so I don't know how those pipes run. Sorry.
    FFR 9883 MKIV ,427 Windsor engine
    TKX 5 speed, Three Link 3.55 gears
    Power Steering, Leather Seats
    18" Wheels and Tires, Drop Trunk
    Fun Package

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ggunter View Post
    Hi Fred I battled this question as well. In the end the center of the dash goes to the top of the hoop. The sides will come above the hoop about 3/8 - 1/2". Mine wasn't a 289 so I don't know how those pipes run. Sorry.
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Fred,
    Working on my 289 and my fuel filler pipe looks exactly like yours.
    I am thinking that I will cut the section that comes from the fuel tank to fit with the 90 degree rubber elbow. Debating if the pipe needs a bead rolled into it.
    Steve

IMG_6196.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Steve,
    I am going to do the same. I am going to leave as long a metal part as possible and double clamp it with the first pretty much right at the edge.
    I am told this should do it.
    Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    In regards to the dash, have it sit at the top of the 3/4" tube/hoop or it will show once the body is on. I also had to cut/grind away my tube a bit to make the gauges fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWorth View Post
    Fred,
    I am thinking that I will cut the section that comes from the fuel tank to fit with the 90 degree rubber elbow. Debating if the pipe needs a bead rolled into it.
    Steve

IMG_6196.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted G View Post
    In regards to the dash, have it sit at the top of the 3/4" tube/hoop or it will show once the body is on. I also had to cut/grind away my tube a bit to make the gauges fit.
    I was thinking similar. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I built my MK3.1 the instructions for the dash were to position the center of the aluminum to sit about 1/8-3/16" below the center of dash hoop frame. The 289 may be using that style of fitting, vs the MK4's, which were significantly different than the earlier models in that area. My body did not come with the cockpit edge roll for example.

The padded dash vinyl was not folded over the back of the dash and glued, but allowed to freely stick up above the edge of the aluminum, about 3/4" (I believe it was). This was tucked up under the body, and neatly filled in the space in that area.

Food for thought..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWorth View Post
    Fred,
    Steve

IMG_6196.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    When I built my MK3.1 the instructions for the dash were to position the center of the aluminum to sit about 1/8-3/16" below the center of dash hoop frame. The 289 may be using that style of fitting, vs the MK4's, which were significantly different than the earlier models in that area. My body did not come with the cockpit edge roll for example.

The padded dash vinyl was not folded over the back of the dash and glued, but allowed to freely stick up above the edge of the aluminum, about 3/4" (I believe it was). This was tucked up under the body, and neatly filled in the space in that area.

Food for thought..
    Noted ... thank you!