Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: FFR vs Ultima

Post Thanks / Like

FFR vs Ultima

OK, I have started my surfing.

With my first roadster build under my belt, looking at: 1) another FFR build (admittedly disappointed with overall FFR QC), 2) ultima build, 3) mustanf (~'65) rehab.

Give me some pros/cons. experience...etc.

This forum got me to the finish line with my roadster, so I value your feedback greatly.

Thanks,

jose

Post Thanks / Like
    I sold my MKIV back in May. Went on the hunt for something 'different'. Superlite SLC and GT-R were first on the list. ALMOST pulled the trigger for a kit that the original owner never started. Did LOTS of research and spoke to many current frustrated builders. Very expensive kit to build that never made its way past a first revision of the chassis and requires significant fabrication skills to complete in about a 4-5 year timeline. The manual for the SLC is limited and the GT-R doesn't have a manual. According to my discussions with current builders, the company is a bit political, so you need to ensure that you are part of the 'click' or you might find yourself without parts if you happen to need some. You don't see that many SLCs or GT-Rs on the road for a reason.

Next went to Ultima. The car is very small, even by MKIV standards, is even more expensive than the Superlite varieties ($117K plus) and to me, the body is still of the original design and outside of LED additions, really hasn't been updated. They do have a really nice, very detailed build series on Youtube, but in the end I passed. Looked at a few classic car favorites but didn't enjoy the idea of rusted bolts and parts again, and of course, the build process and support network is nothing like an FFR.

So, found my way back to FFR and another MKIV. They are hands down the best in the business when it comes to kit replicas, support, value and fun factor. That was my experience, but mileage will vary I'm sure. What exactly is wrong with FFR QC?
    Last edited by cv2065; 12-08-2023 at 12:46 AM.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll second above. Be prepared for year plus wait times just to get the kit from RCR. The SLC is nothing like the FFRs, I see people complaining constantly here about a bolt missing or a measurement being off and having a canary. If you think the QC with FFR is bad then you’re going to really be disappointed with RCR. Like he stated, barely a manual, and from my experience with my SLC, you need to have an imagination and be able to do custom work. However, IF I was to do another RCR car it would be a GT40 as the wait times are shorter, and the car has a longer history.

4. Thanks Sigurd thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A buddy of mine is building an RCR GT40. He previously finished a Factory Five 33 Hot Rod. The first time I saw the GT40 build, I commented about the apparent quality of the parts, fiberglass parts, etc. He said "yes" but said he had far fewer issues with the hot rod. Not what you'd expect for nearly twice the money. RCR is a small operation, so support according to him wasn't great. The final product is cool and very interesting. But similar to what others have posted, a somewhat challenging journey. Factory Five isn't perfect. But they deliver a lot of value and in my 10+ year journey, have made continuous improvements.

I'm building a Sling TSi airplane right now. The engineering, packaging, instructions, parts quality, parts fit, etc. is stunning. I suspect 99% of the complaints about Factory Five would be solved if their kits were similar. But the cost would be over the top. There's a bit of a difference in the economic model between the two.
    Last edited by edwardb; 12-08-2023 at 11:56 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

6. Likes Nigel Allen, Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The other thing I considered when building a GTM and XTF is the availability of parts.

IF factory five went away, I could repair or source any part of the kit without a problem. As soon as you get into complex machined parts the cost of reverse engineering and reproducing parts in some of those other kits is huge.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    A buddy bought an incomplete RCR Ferrari P4 on a BaT auction, I teamed with him to bring it back from TX. The aluminum tub and suspension were developed for the GT40. I do not know what changes are made to fit the Ferrari body but they do not work well together. The main one piece body blocks the tub access panels. The roll bar is welded through the body trapping it in place. That required cutting the roll bar struts and cutting the body into panels like the original. RCR is not easy to buy additional parts from.
    IMO the 818 is skill and detail intensive. It is/was not for those seeking a simple assembly.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    All goof info. Thanks, everyone.

10. Likes RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for this thread. I also have been thinking about my next project and like you I was considering an Ultima, SLC, or Daytona or a 67 fastback. I didn't know about the issues with the SLC. I wanted a car with a top and capable of 200 mph. I had written off the Ultima for cost. The Mustang would never do the mph, and the SLC was an unknown. Looks like I really need to focus on the Daytona.
    FFR #4402 MKII Supercharged 308 445 RWHP Sterling Grey W/ Black Sapphire Stripes, Purchase 8/22/2008 Sold 12/04/2018
    FFR #8249 MK IV "Milano" Kit purchased 10/5/2018 - In-Process with 3.27 IRS, Multiport, Fuel Injected Supercharged 347 Big bore with Coil On Plug running Holley HP engine management, 576 RWHP, 510 Torque
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?29980 Milano thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TBull View Post
    Thanks for this thread. I also have been thinking about my next project and like you I was considering an Ultima, SLC, or Daytona or a 67 fastback. I didn't know about the issues with the SLC. I wanted a car with a top and capable of 200 mph. I had written off the Ultima for cost. The Mustang would never do the mph, and the SLC was an unknown. Looks like I really need to focus on the Daytona.
    Yeah, I am still researching.

Their an old built on SVT forums and a guy was at 160k so far, so looks like 2-3x an FFR.

I am also enjoying watching a build on: https://youtu.be/mkpkB1G1oF0?si=RLDV-QvCTystZPW5

So far, looks like the build is more plug and play, boxes are sorted well with needed parts (nuts/bolts/clips/etc) in them, unlike a "fastener box" that requires you to sort out which ones go where.

Not sure I wanna spend that kind of dough, but it's pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I've followed Dean through 52 episodes so far and if money were no object I'd love to build that car. Just not in the Cards. I can appreciate all these cars, but I really loved the build. Thanks again.
    FFR #4402 MKII Supercharged 308 445 RWHP Sterling Grey W/ Black Sapphire Stripes, Purchase 8/22/2008 Sold 12/04/2018
    FFR #8249 MK IV "Milano" Kit purchased 10/5/2018 - In-Process with 3.27 IRS, Multiport, Fuel Injected Supercharged 347 Big bore with Coil On Plug running Holley HP engine management, 576 RWHP, 510 Torque
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?29980 Milano thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone ever hear of this place?

Antique & Collectible Autos
    1-888-763-7222
    35 Dole Street Buffalo, NY 14210 www.acautos.com 1-800-245-1310

They have a variety of pre-war cars which may be of interest to our community, as well as '49 Merc, 56 Vette and 67 Cobra replicas. The little I know about their offerings is that they seem to be all fiberglass bodies with newly fabricated frames and Mustang II running gear. I'm looking at these as my previous "next project" car appears to be out of production and the company that made it out of business.

Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    Anyone ever hear of this place?

Antique & Collectible Autos
    1-888-763-7222
    35 Dole Street Buffalo, NY 14210 www.acautos.com 1-800-245-1310

They have a variety of pre-war cars which may be of interest to our community, as well as '49 Merc, 56 Vette and 67 Cobra replicas. The little I know about their offerings is that they seem to be all fiberglass bodies with newly fabricated frames and Mustang II running gear. I'm looking at these as my previous "next project" car appears to be out of production and the company that made it out of business.

Keith HR #894
    I have not, but perusing the site, I am not convinced they provide everything I need for the build. My grievances with FFR aside, they provided what I needed, even if delayed.