Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Ferrari 250 GTO replica on a coupe chassis?

Post Thanks / Like

Ferrari 250 GTO replica on a coupe chassis?

Not sure how many of you saw this Ferrari 250 GTO that just sold at auction for over $50M.

You don't have to squint real hard to imagine that body on the coupe chassis. Wouldn't it be cool if FFR branched out and offered other iconic car kits?

Assuming for a moment that won't happen any time soon, those of you that do body work professionally (Jeffs - I'm looking at you) if some crazy customer (me) came to you and said that they wanted you to modify a coupe body to look like a Ferrari 250 GTO, approximately how much fabrication time do you think this would entail?

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/cla...2-million-sale

MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

2. Likes GoDadGo, FFRWRX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Getting my popcorn ready...

Last edited by Papa; 12-12-2023 at 02:54 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

4. Likes JohnK, GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a snowballs chance FFR would ever do it. It’s a well known fact that Ferrari sues anyone who attempts to knock off any of their cars.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Ferrari Dino 246 was in production for several years and bring much less, ~$500K. Aluminum 206 somewhat more $.
    I have modified an 818 chassis and fit a Dino 246 replica body. Lots of styling correction and use of alternative Ferrari styling features like 275 vents, flush Lexan side glass, pit lamps and P4 NACA ducts to fit the "former race car" theme.
    Just now correcting front suspension/steering and replacing the drive with Acura V6 and six speed manual.
    jim
    dino hood and qtr reworked.JPG
    275 vent gas door.JPG
    turn signal 2.jpg
    turn signal.jpg
    Last edited by J R Jones; 12-12-2023 at 03:28 PM.

7. Likes Matt Ries liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Go for it John!! It's just that first airsaw cut that's the hardest.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Not a snowballs chance FFR would ever do it. It’s a well known fact that Ferrari sues anyone who attempts to knock off any of their cars.

Jeff
    Is that what happened to RCR's P4? I always wondered why they quit offering that car. It was really good looking, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    How does Renucci designs get away with it? They have been producing California Spyders for many years.
    Mike
    Last edited by michael everson; 12-12-2023 at 07:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    Go for it John!! It's just that first airsaw cut that's the hardest.
    Oh, I've got the skills to cut &*$% apart... no problem! Putting it back together so that it looks like a Ferrari... that's where the skills gap is.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

12. Likes cnutting liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Even replicating the Ferrari-style ducting on the hood, fenders and quarter-window area would be a staggering amount of tedious bodywork, on top of a kit that already requires a lot of bodywork to achieve a respectable fit and finish. I could only guess the hours it would take. For what it's worth: I've seen a lot of very talented builders over the years get into serious body/fiberglass modifications. I've seen very few of their cars actually get completed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drewr View Post
    Is that what happened to RCR's P4? I always wondered why they quit offering that car. It was really good looking, too.
    Before the RCR P4 there was the Noble P4. A Noble P4 sold on BaT yesterday for $305,000.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rari-noble-p4/
    It has been said that the RCR was splashed off the Noble. The Noble chassis and body is more authentic.
    There were/are 250 GTO kits built from a Datsun 240Z. They actually look good, outside. There is a 250 GTO body in aluminum on ebay, it never sells.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    JR, I believe the Dino was manufactured by Fiat, hence the lack of attention paid to replicas by Ferrari.
    John K, if you’re going to insult Ferrari, why not do a 250 gto ev? Pfft!
    Kit #361, arrived 10/2015, still in progress
    818C highly modified, corvette suspension
    Estimated completion summer 2023!
    1989 turbo Supra 5 sp
    2017 Tundra

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    Eh, I love me a good EV but that's just wrong. My Porsche Taycan Turbo S will destroy pretty much anything short of a 911 GT3 RS, but a Ferrari 250 GTO that doesn't scream with a V12... why bother?

Post Thanks / Like
    JR, I believe the Dino was manufactured by Fiat, hence the lack of attention paid to replicas by Ferrari.
    Or better yet, put a Ford engine in it!
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

18. Likes Bart Carter, Cobradavid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lance,
    The only Dino replicas I am aware of are the Kellison and Karma. Both altered the design to claim originality not plagery but Karma was sued and sold the tooling to a company in the UK. Mine is a Karma hand layed cloth by Corsair boat company in CA.
    In the mid sixties Ferrari was in money trouble and designed the Dino 206 as a V6 low price point for volume production. 150 units were sublet for manufacturing by Fiat. The aluminum body drove cost over target and they lost money. The re-engineered steel body 246 was more profitable and salvaged Ferrari to race another day. The highest recorded sale was $868,500 for a 1968 Ferrari Dino 206 GT on March 03 2023.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob McCrea View Post
    For what it's worth: I've seen a lot of very talented builders over the years get into serious body/fiberglass modifications. I've seen very few of their cars actually get completed.
    Does anyone remember Hoffa from the other forum. At least I think that was his name.

If I recall, he finally ended up chopping the body up and dumping it in the trash bin.

Roy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Springboro FFR Roadster View Post
    Does anyone remember Hoffa from the other forum. At least I think that was his name.

If I recall, he finally ended up chopping the body up and dumping it in the trash bin.

Roy
    "hoofa"

-Kyle

22. Likes 7tvette liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Jeff
    Apparently Ferrari lost the trademark to the 250 GTO a few years back. They now only hold the trademark to the 250 GTO shape for toys and model cars.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...h=6d7b86bd7993

Post Thanks / Like
    What about a Kelmark GT Dino replica? I’ve seen one of those.
    Kit #361, arrived 10/2015, still in progress
    818C highly modified, corvette suspension
    Estimated completion summer 2023!
    1989 turbo Supra 5 sp
    2017 Tundra

Post Thanks / Like
    What about a Kelmark GT Dino replica? I’ve seen one of those.
    Lance, Yeah, that is the brand I was referring to, not Kellison who made original design front engine RWD cars with alpha numeric designations.
    The Kelmark Dino did not include the iconic side vents for the engine (no Dino venting), wrap around rear glass or frunk (front compartment), again altering the original design.
    jim
    Last edited by J R Jones; 12-13-2023 at 11:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my 250 GTO in Maranello a few years ago.
    I couldn’t afford the real one so this had to do. Also got one of the F40.

F13A752E-F686-494D-A619-14AA9E7771BC.jpg
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

27. Likes Geoff H liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's a guy in Aus building a 250 GTO replica on a Datsun 240z, powered by an LSX (with an 8-stack!). Looks pretty good and should be a lot of fun. I wonder if this body could be grafted to an FFR Coupe?

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/aust...my-within.html

Ferrari 250 GTO.jpg
    Last edited by MPTech; 01-05-2024 at 02:12 PM.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

29. Likes JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, F5 could do it as it no longer has trademark protection. But they seem to think the market for large expensive modified trucks is better. Wouldn't it be a fairly easy one for them to do based on their Coupe parts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Oh, I've got the skills to cut &*$% apart... no problem! Putting it back together so that it looks like a Ferrari... that's where the skills gap is.
    This was funny,

I would assume FF wouldn't want a repeat of the court battle with Shelby and Ferrari. I'm no lawyer but what would the legal issue be? Selling one for profit I assume over body design? If you modified one on your own you may be ok?

I think many of the GT style cars back then were beautiful. Always had a fondness for the old Jaguar E-Types as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PointmanUSMC View Post
    This was funny,

I would assume FF wouldn't want a repeat of the court battle with Shelby and Ferrari. I'm no lawyer but what would the legal issue be? Selling one for profit I assume over body design? If you modified one on your own you may be ok?

I think many of the GT style cars back then were beautiful. Always had a fondness for the old Jaguar E-Types as well.
    Various OEMs have sued replica builders. In one case Mercedes sued builders of 300SL Gullwings, claiming and destroying any bodies they could find.
    More surprising is the movie Gone in 60 Seconds remake and the Shelby GT500 Eleanor. The (dead) producer's wife claimed movie trademarks and has sued Shelby and various professional and private builders that have made replicas or even used the name Eleanor She claimed the cars.
    https://www.autoblog.com/2022/12/13/...anor%20Mustang.

jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRWRX View Post
    Yes, F5 could do it as it no longer has trademark protection. But they seem to think the market for large expensive modified trucks is better. Wouldn't it be a fairly easy one for them to do based on their Coupe parts?
    FFR's truck is a head-scratcher for me, too. It's replicating a current F150, not something nostalgic or historic. But, whatever...
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

35. Likes J R Jones, FFRWRX liked this post