Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Blueprint LS3 530hp

Post Thanks / Like

Blueprint LS3 530hp

I thought I'd post this in the 33 forum because more people use the LS platform than on the Roadster. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Blueprint's LS3 (the 6.2L, not the 427 stroker). My MK4 will be LS based and I'm having a hard time finding reviews of this particular engine from BP. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s an LS, you can pop one out of the junkyard with 200k miles and it’ll run another 200k. What particularly did you want to know about the BP specifically? Looks like it has a bigger cam, forged rods etc. it’ll last a lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbl7td View Post
    It’s an LS, you can pop one out of the junkyard with 200k miles and it’ll run another 200k. What particularly did you want to know about the BP specifically? Looks like it has a bigger cam, forged rods etc. it’ll last a lifetime.
    Well sure, if all LS's were the same I might consider a cheap 5.3. I'm curious about overall street manners of the BP unit with the bigger cam and how well the tune works out of the box. The decision is between the BP LS3 and one of GM's crate LS3's. Or maybe even a gen V (L87), but I'd have to rework the mounts a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are willing to go the auction route, here is a thought. Late model SS Camaros have the aluminum block LT1 in them rated at 455/455 HP/TQ. The LT1 shares almost nothing with the LS3, completely different engine. Some would argue that the LT1 is better than the LS3, I will leave that up to the end user to decide. I recently bought a Saturn Sky Redline as a potential Auto X toy. I bought the car because it was cheap and had a real convertible top should I get caught by a unexpected rain storm.

I have used Copart to purchase donor cars for my MK4 and now a 70 Mustang Mach 1 restomod. I bought two Mustangs, a 2004 Mach 1 and a 2017 GT. Both engines were from the Ford modular family, a 4.6L DOHC from the Mach 1 and a 5.0L Coyote from the 2017 GT. In both cases I bought the donor cars really cheap. The thing to look for is a junk title which prevents these cars from being returned to road use. These cars with junk titles are nothing more than parts cars and sold much cheaper because they cannot be repaired and retitled. Someone's loss can be your gain in these cases. Late model Camaro SS cars, 2010 though 2018 are available in quantity all over the country. I live in AZ and found on the order of 8 across the states of CA, AZ, and NV. My suggestion is to learn more about buying these cars at auction and save yourself a bunch of money. The other part of the equation is that once you have removed the engine, the rest of the donor car can be sold off allowing you to often recover as much or more than you paid for the car at auction. Even price out the value of an interior for one of these cars? If you have the space and time to part out the donor, you can get your engine for next to nothing but your time and effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9XI-yRoonY

Lets use the 2017 Mustang GT I bought. I bought the car 6 months after its build date in 9/2017. The interior had been stripped, resulting in the CA junk title. There was a bit of front end damage, but no contact with the engine. The 2nd Gen Coyote and 6R80 AT I am using in my restomod new cost about $17K from Ford Performance but no lower than $15K from other resellers. My cost for the GT with auction, broker, and shipping was $6500 at my door. You can't by a crate 2nd Gen Coyote for that. I was also very fortunate to find that, to the best I could determine with a OBDII reader, the engine had 2350 miles on it.

Think about buying a donor vehicle to source your LS3 or better yet, LT1.

I have used Copart Auctions for the purchase of both of my donors. Copart is nationwide allowing you to look for vehicles within a certain distance from your home. If you can find something close and have a trailer, you can eliminate the shipping cost. To buy cars with non-repairable(junk titles) you will need a broker with a dismantlers license to represent you. The cost of the broker is about $200, a small price to pay with the savings potential of lower sale prices. If anyone is interested, I am willing to answer questions to help one get started buying their first donor at auction.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OB6 View Post
    Well sure, if all LS's were the same I might consider a cheap 5.3. I'm curious about overall street manners of the BP unit with the bigger cam and how well the tune works out of the box. The decision is between the BP LS3 and one of GM's crate LS3's. Or maybe even a gen V (L87), but I'd have to rework the mounts a bit.
    At this point you’re talking tune. Clearly more displacement is more HP. I wouldn’t rely on an out of the box tune.And to my knowledge you have to pay extra from blueprint for the harness. Might as well get a Holley at that point.Pay someone $400-600 for a professional tune and you’ll get an engine that’s tuned specifically for your car/drivetrain/cam combo. Lots of things and out of the box tune can’t compensate well for including AC, transmission, etc.

Just to add and edit here. The LS3 is tried and true. But the LT is the new gen and offers a lot of advantages. VVT, and DI to name a few. Additionally if you go with a tried and true aftermarket ECu like Holley you can add a lot of features like traction control.
    Last edited by Kbl7td; 12-24-2023 at 04:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
    If you are willing to go the auction route, here is a thought. ....
    Thanks Alan, that's definitely something to consider. I have the room to take on a donor car, but I'd have to think about whether it's something I want to get into. Lots of compelling reasons to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbl7td View Post
    At this point you’re talking tune. Clearly more displacement is more HP. I wouldn’t rely on an out of the box tune.And to my knowledge you have to pay extra from blueprint for the harness. Might as well get a Holley at that point.Pay someone $400-600 for a professional tune and you’ll get an engine that’s tuned specifically for your car/drivetrain/cam combo. Lots of things and out of the box tune can’t compensate well for including AC, transmission, etc.

Just to add and edit here. The LS3 is tried and true. But the LT is the new gen and offers a lot of advantages. VVT, and DI to name a few. Additionally if you go with a tried and true aftermarket ECu like Holley you can add a lot of features like traction control.
    Completely agree with your LS3 vs LT platform points. I've got a source for almost new L87's (6.2 out of a truck) with DOD delete, PS, Alt, etc. and standalone ECU/harness for about the same price as a GM crate without controller kit. The mounts would be one thing, and relatively easy to address, but I'd need to figure out the oil pan situation. I haven't found one that's shallow enough and thus won't sit below the 4" tube of the frame. Everything else is pretty straightforward.
    Last edited by OB6; 12-24-2023 at 05:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Terry, as I mentioned, a few washers or aluminum spacers (~7/16) between your motor mount and the engine block and this pan will be at or above the frame rails: https://blueprintengines.com/product...ine-swap-black

The threaded mounting bosses on the block already stand proud, so I don't see how spacers create any weakened structure.
    MK4, 427LS3, IRS, T56 Magnum, Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Its Bruce View Post
    Terry, as I mentioned, a few washers or aluminum spacers (~7/16) between your motor mount and the engine block and this pan will be at or above the frame rails: https://blueprintengines.com/product...ine-swap-black

The threaded mounting bosses on the block already stand proud, so I don't see how spacers create any weakened structure.
    Thanks Bruce - yes that would be my plan if I don't use the C6 pan. I was actually referring to an LT oil pan in my comment above, if I choose to go that route, but your solution would likely work there as well. I found that Holley makes a shallow pan for the LT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Back in 2018 I bought a new LS3 with tranny, the ECU’s, and wiring harness from GM Connect and Cruise, free delivery and no tax. It was $12K
    It doesn’t need to be tuned, runs great right out of the box.
    430HP is a bit of overkill in a ‘33, it can easily get out of control if your not careful.
    The roadster has a shorter wheelbase, easier to loose it with lots of HP.
    The junkyards around here are selling LS1 and LS2 engines for under $500. LS1’s are 350HP, LS2’s are 400HP.
    Pick your poison.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife surprised me a couple of months ago by saying she wanted more power for her 2012 Canyon, that or a new truck. So I found that the 2012 Canyon was the last year that GM put the 5.3L in the Canyon/Colorado. I have been looking at auctions coming up and found a Chevy Trailblazer SS with 95K miles on it. Yup, the HP was 395 HP, more than enough for her truck. Best part, the LS2 in the SS was aluminum keeping the front end weight down. The I5 in her Canyon now is just pathetic, it does need a V8! I set up a account for the auction house, just waiting for the truck to be put in a lot for auction. So another project waiting in the wings, 2024 is looking like it is going to be busy.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

12. Likes JimLev liked this post