Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: windshield wiper, last peace of the puzzle

Post Thanks / Like

windshield wiper, last peace of the puzzle

Howdy guys,
    My last peace of the puzzle. As per our state DOT. My build will need a windshield wiper. I would only like to add one wiper. If I order a simple single wiper motor will I run into a fitment issue on the body? Has anyone out there only used one wiper? If so, where can I buy? There are plenty out there on Amazon or other sites. I would like to not order one that won't fit the body profile.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you would be better off getting the FFR kit. Why reinvent the wheel? It might be nice to have them in case of rain. Also will help with resale down the road.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get either a complete kit or just enough to do as you wish here: Wipers

Think into the future, the day you want to sell the build. It will be less desirable with only one wiper blade. Just thinking, and it isn't that much more money or labor to put in both

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Some builders were using marine wiper motors. Running a single wiper with that set up should be easy enough. Might look into how they were incorporated by doing a forum search.
    Otherwise, otherwise some builders used a temporary clamp-on wiper attached to the top of the windscreen frame, just to pass the inspection. They pulled them off afterward.
    Some discussion here. https://www.ffcars.com/threads/clamp-on-wipers.596194/

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't yet have a wiper kit and do decide to install permanent wipers I'd suggest you look at the WWK-2 kit made by Specialty Power Windows. It's a far more robust kit than the FFR one, and not any more complicated to install. Edwardb installed this on his coupe and I've installed it on my roadster. If you're going to go through all the trouble of installing wipers, install ones that will actually work properly.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure you fully understand what is required or will pass the equipment requirements for your area. A single wiper that doesn't clear the windshield may not be acceptable. The marine wipers likely won't work on the coupe, since they wouldn't have any place to mount. I did have one car that had a single wiper blade. It was a Mercedes CLK-430. The wiper was mounded near the center of the car and had an interesting action that moved the arm down as it was at the center and then pushed it out on either end to get better coverage at the corners of the windshield without being too long at the center or ends. It's hard to explain but was a very complicated mechanism.

Last edited by Papa; 12-27-2023 at 07:04 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

7. Likes jamminj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    that wiper system is simply awesome

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    If you don't yet have a wiper kit and do decide to install permanent wipers I'd suggest you look at the WWK-2 kit made by Specialty Power Windows. It's a far more robust kit than the FFR one, and not any more complicated to install. Edwardb installed this on his coupe and I've installed it on my roadster. If you're going to go through all the trouble of installing wipers, install ones that will actually work properly.
    Thanks John for mentioning. I've used that wiper system on two builds (Coupe and Truck) after several builds with the Lucas style wipers. It's a significant improvement and cheaper. Installs perfectly on the Coupe into the locations molded into the body. Personally, I'd be hesitant to install a single wiper or not used the locations provided. Here are links to the installation in my Coupe: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post317637 and here https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post398469 (scroll down).
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    You talked me into the Speciality wiper. I may have made a mistake where I placed the fuse block. I mounted it on the firewall. By edwardb's picture, the motor will not interfere, but, could someone tell me how far away s the rod that goes between the two wipers, from the firewall? My fuse block protrudes out from the firewall 1.5". I wasn't thinking far enough ahead when mounting the fuseblock.