Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Steve's 35 Truck Build

Post Thanks / Like

Steve's 35 Truck Build

I have chosen today to begin my build thread. For no other reason than today, the engine is scheduled to arrive and I am tired of looking out the window or checking my phone for delivery updates.

My approach is slightly different, I have ordered the 427W Engine from Prestige Motorsports, AOD transmission from Monster Transmissions and various other parts and wheels/tires; all before the build date for my 35 truck. The idea is that when the truck arrives, the sub assemblies will be ready to go.

The kit was ordered with Wilwood brakes, Moser rear end, A/C and electric power steering. My plan? Thank you for asking. Trans and engine will be mated before the kit arrives. After inventory, the front suspension will go to powder coating to match the Charcoal 18x10 wheels. The rear end will be assembled, then the steering and front suspension, followed by the engine and so on.

At this moment, I am researching accessory drives while I wait for the truck.

Rotating assembly.jpgvalve covers.jpg4947 dyno graphic 3.pngBlock.jpgcrate 4.jpg
    Last edited by Guardm16; 12-27-2023 at 02:00 PM.

2. Likes Salty Chief 35 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the Wheels and Tires. American Muscle Had a great deal on the wheels 18x10 for $110 each. The rubber is NITTO NT555 G2 Summer Ultra High Performance Tire (275/40R18)
    All four corners are the same, (tire rotation)
    Tire stack.jpgWheels.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    So this is the overall design:
    I admit, I found the picture online and did a little photoshop work to it. But, it had the options as I have ordered: Hood, no fenders, etc
    I spent 27 years in the Army so the natural inclination is a nod towards that. The color will be a matt olive drab green by "Custom Shop" HotRod Flatz.
    What is FUBAR? That's the name of my build. Those who know...know. For everyone else, including the DOT It's "Ford Upgraded Beyond All Recognition"
    Green.jpg

5. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I’m looking forward to following your build. I like the green and bronze look.
    Respectfully,
    Jeremie

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Chief, My Photoshop skills are not that good. The bronze was on the original pic, I couldn't get the charcoal look to work. So my build will be olive and charcoal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Delivery Truck.jpg
    on the truck.jpg
    In the garage.jpg
    77077.jpeg

Well, the 427 arrived in great shape. Prestige Motorsports sent pictures throughout the build process. "See the first post"

I also got an update from Monster Transmission today. My AOD core is being torn down today and inspected.
    From Monster Transmissions:
    Great News Steven ��, your transmission is on a technician's bench and is being torn down, prepped for the wash & case cleansing process.

During these steps your transmission will be undergoing additional Quality Control inspections �� . We tear our cores down to the bare case, inspecting every part and discarding anything that doesn't meet or exceed our standards.

Next is the Paint Department. Our transmissions are second to none and worth the wait. We appreciate your patience and will text you once it moves to the next stage.

These guys send a text almost every day.
    Last edited by Guardm16; 12-29-2023 at 01:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Because it's a holiday weekend, I figure I can get an answer here faster:

Is this a standard or reverse rotation timing cover. I think it is standard.
    20231212_103840.jpg
    This is the water pump gasket in the proper orientation ...if that helps.
    Water pump.jpg

The top right of this set
    SBF Timing Covers.jpg

I want to get started shopping for the accessory drive system, but need to have this basic question answered.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Guardm16; 12-29-2023 at 02:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah… that should provide enough forward motivation for a 2,300 lb truck. Very nice!
    Respectfully
    Jeremie

Post Thanks / Like
    Airborne!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ruffshod, have you been looking at my toolbox? All my "Airborne" unit patches are there. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

14. Likes RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats awesome!

I jumped Gatun in 87.

2/505th PIR

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, I love that drop zone. Did you go through JOTC? We might have been your OPFOR. I was there from 1985 to 1989 then again from 1991 until they shut down Ft. Kobbe in 1993. Fun times
    1/508th

OPFOR.jpg
    Ft Sherman.jpg
    Morter range Panama.jpg
    Last edited by Guardm16; 01-03-2024 at 10:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    We did. I was 11C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing like jumping a baseplate. Wondering if that thing is going to hit you in the face.
    Last edited by Guardm16; 01-04-2024 at 12:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I jumped with these guys for a few years. That was too much fun.

https://wwiiadt.org/

20. Likes RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you seen these guys?

https://phantomairborne.us/

Post Thanks / Like
    Transmission update.

Steven good news! Your Custom Built Monster Transmission is at the FINISH LINE ��

A series of Quality Control tests and inspections are taking place. Our engineers ����*�� will give your Monster a full check-up to make sure it will perform just as good as it looks! This stage is the most important to our team, we're serious about quality and want you to be thrilled with your Monster Transmission.

Once this process is complete, your order is boxed and shipped. You will receive a message as soon as it leaves our facility along with the Tracking information. Woohoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not seen Phantom, Looks like a fun organization. I have always enjoyed airshows and being part of them was extraordinary. I got to jump several platforms and wouldn't trade that experience for the world. But, on to other things...like a 35 Hot Rod Truck

24. Likes RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Transmission update: I received this text from Monster Transmission,

Time to Celebrate Steven ��, your Order Number 564863 has SHIPPED!

�� Tracking Number: ESTES-Transport

From all of us here at Monster Transmission, we thank you for your business and look forward to serving you again in the future

Estes Says: Earliest Possible Delivery Date:
    Mon, 1/22/2024 – Fri, 1/26/2024

All good news

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday I got my final configuration call from Factory Five. What a milestone that is. Everything is in order and "on order." The final bill was paid and I have received the receipt. The build completion date on that sales order is 02/24/2024. And lastly Stuart Transport has been paid in full as well.

Is this where I am supposed to get excited?......to late, that started months ago. LOL

Next weekend I should be mating the transmission to the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is the point where you will literally be turned into a ten year old boy on Christmas Eve-delivery day. At 64, I could not sit in my chair in the driveway when the driver called and said he was about 1/2 hour away.

Image - 2023-05-29T181304.263.jpegImage - 2023-05-29T181427.352.jpegImage - 2023-05-29T181613.867.jpegImage - 2023-05-29T181708.193.jpegImage - 2023-05-29T181715.843.jpeg

28. Likes Guardm16, FatherAndSon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dan, I am sure I will be doing the same. Maybe even flying the drone out to the Highway to catch an early peek. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the transmission showed up today right on time. This weekend I will put the engine and trans together. Monster transmissions provided the AOD set up for 550 HP. We will put that to the test.
    delivery.jpg
    box.jpgAOD.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The Torque converter will not rotate in the pilot hole of the crank, just a few thousandths tight, Is this just a matter of getting the paint off and putting a little emery cloth on the snout and crank?
    Or is this something I should send the converter back? It goes in, but it doesn't slide easily. I did put a film of assembly lube on it, but that didn't help.
    TQ converter.jpg

It's a Thor 2300-2600, so not cheap
    Last edited by Guardm16; 01-28-2024 at 09:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    well I went ahead and removed the paint with a scotchbright pad and that helped a little, I then used some emery cloth on the inside of the crank pilot hole. The converter slipped in with the threads of the converter bolts causing a little friction in the flexplate holes. they are all right at the outer edge of the holes in the flexplate, but they slipped in on the test fit and just hung up a little when I was pulling it off. I put the TC on the transmission, rotated the TC until the mounting face of each TC bolt was 1 inch past the front of the bell housing. The transmission then mated right up to the block with a little wiggling.

The TC pulled up easy into the Flexplate as I torqued the four nuts. I think I am in business.

20240128_091801.jpg20240128_091742.jpg20240128_091748.jpg

I made the rolling cart from two Harbor Freight dollies and some of the 2x4s from the engine crate.

I also did a mock-up of the intake, just to get an idea of the overall scale. I will use a Holley Sniper 2 for fuel delivery, but for now, I used an old carburetor to mount the Spectre Performance Polished Plenum with 4" Dual Inlet.
    A couple of 4 inch aluminum 45* elbows and will be capped off with a couple of K&N cone filters
    2.jpg3.jpg1.jpg
    Last edited by Guardm16; 01-28-2024 at 10:29 PM.

33. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, Here we go. Just got off the phone. FFR said the truck will be complete in three days on the 24th. I then called Stewart Transport, they are set to pick up the kit next week. Time to requests some days away from the office.

35. Likes FF33rod, RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardm16 View Post
    Because it's a holiday weekend, I figure I can get an answer here faster:

Is this a standard or reverse rotation timing cover. I think it is standard.
    20231212_103840.jpg
    This is the water pump gasket in the proper orientation ...if that helps.
    Water pump.jpg

The top right of this set
    SBF Timing Covers.jpg

I want to get started shopping for the accessory drive system, but need to have this basic question answered.
    The accessory drive has been ordered from CVF Racing The small block ford A/C and Alt complete kit with 8 rib belt.
    302-WRAPTOR-ACO-1__79402.jpg
    302-WRAPTOR-ACO-2__87856.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart will pick up on the 27th and deliver here in Arizona on March 4th - 6th. Time to straiten up the Shop loft area for boxes.

38. Likes RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The accessory drive showed up from CVF Racing, went on without a hitch. Good looking stuff.
    CVF.jpg

40. Likes RuffShod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart emailed me today, they are running a bit late, but scheduled for delivery on Thursday. Disappointing

Post Thanks / Like
    Today at about 8:00AM Kelly from Stewart Transport called and said he was about 5 miles out. I moved the wife's car to make room for boxes and waited in the driveway.

5.jpg

6.jpg

10.jpg

15.jpg

2.jpg

All boxes accounted for, and a surprisingly short POL sheet.

Then at about 4:00pm, the door bell rings. FedEx has a delivery.

25.jpg

Moser also delivered the same day. Only no call, no email, nothing, glad I was still home.

All in all, I'm not complaining. A very good day. but now a I have a 12 hour shift at work. Full inventory will just have to wait.

43. Likes edwardb, RuffShod, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you leave everything in the box it came in, after inventory.

Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Inventory is about 75% done. So far only small items missing like: 6, 1/4 x 1 inch black button head, etc. with the exception of the body aluminum. The packing list says the bottom cab floor was packed in the cab, but it's not there. I will be going through the aluminum box of parts tonight, not sure those can fit in a box.

In the mean time, I had a few friends over and we could not help but go ahead and hang the Moser rear end.
    Moser on frame.jpg
    I built some legs from 2x4 material left over from the Engine Crate. The legs support the tail of the truck while we hung the rear end. It allowed us to put the transmission jack under the Moser, start bolting things up and not worry about the front of the truck lifting. Side benefit: the truck bed makes a great assembly table for smaller parts like shocks. The friends and I all stood around the table with parts, tools and drinks "spot checking" each others work. Great time and fellowship.

underside.jpg
    Wheel backspace.jpg
    Yes, I know the tire is on the wrong side, just checking the backspace. I may need to add in little spacer, it's close to the top bed mount.

Rear Brake mock up.jpg
    Mocked up the rear brakes. It looks good, the wheel studs are tight when installing the rotor.
    Last edited by Guardm16; 03-19-2024 at 12:00 PM.

46. Likes Salty Chief 35 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardm16 View Post
    So the Moser custom axle tags...were those on the rear end when you received it? Ours didn't come with the tags and I didn't find them anywhere in the crate...??