FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Russ Thompson Turn Signal Clicking

Post Thanks / Like

Russ Thompson Turn Signal Clicking

I saw on a recent Facebook post (Factory Five Builder) that someone was concerned about the clicking sound their Russ Thompson turn signal made when the wheel was turned. I have one of the last ones that Russ made. It clicks when I turn the wheel but I thought that was normal. The turn signal lever works perfectly. Do I need to be concerned about the clicking noise?

A search of the posts on this forum didn't get me any information. I tried to adjust the position of the turn signal unit as suggested in the Facebook post but that didn't seem to help since it was already centered. I certainly can't hear the clicking when the engine is running so it not an issue for me unless, it's going to damage the unit. Suggestions?

Daral

2. Thanks Tbev thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not an expert in this matter but did just disassemble one so that’s about as good as a holiday-inn express expertise.
    Not sure how anything would be clicking unless the tabs that get exposed when in the right or left turn position were incompletely retracted. But I [I]believe [I] that would keep the signals on? Certain it’s from the RT signal?
    Coupe Kit Delivered 11/10/23

Roadster Build thread: 2019-2022 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Build-Thread

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    is the clicking potentially a relay?

I have a beeper that goes off when the turn signal is on https://watsons-streetworks.com/prod...minder-buzzer/
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Daral View Post
    I saw on a recent Facebook post (Factory Five Builder) that someone was concerned about the clicking sound their Russ Thompson turn signal made when the wheel was turned. I have one of the last ones that Russ made. It clicks when I turn the wheel but I thought that was normal. The turn signal lever works perfectly. Do I need to be concerned about the clicking noise?

A search of the posts on this forum didn't get me any information. I tried to adjust the position of the turn signal unit as suggested in the Facebook post but that didn't seem to help since it was already centered. I certainly can't hear the clicking when the engine is running so it not an issue for me unless, it's going to damage the unit. Suggestions?

Daral
    I have the same exact issue and will be interested to see the responses. Thanks for posting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's the tabs, you may need to take it apart and add some grease between the mount, the lever ring, and the retaining ring. The tabs ride on an aluminum cam surface, so a little friction will cause them to not fully retract.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by burchfieldb View Post
    It's the tabs, you may need to take it apart and add some grease between the mount, the lever ring, and the retaining ring. The tabs ride on an aluminum cam surface, so a little friction will cause them to not fully retract.
    You wouldn't by chance have pictures? Will not correcting this right away cause any problems?

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by MSumners; 01-03-2024 at 08:25 PM.
    Coupe Kit Delivered 11/10/23

Roadster Build thread: 2019-2022 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Build-Thread

9. Thanks Tbev thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine looks like this in the free state with the turn signal off. That is what it should look like when a turn signal is switched on. 20240104_104801.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Is solving this problem just lubrication? Is there an adjustment if lubricating them doesn't get the tabs to fully retract?

The pictures are a big help. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by burchfieldb View Post
    what grease would you apply? something like a silicone grease? Super Lube-21030 Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease

or heavy grease like ball-joint stuff?
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    what grease would you apply? something like a silicone grease? Super Lube-21030 Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease

or heavy grease like ball-joint stuff?
    I would use the light weight super lube. The heavy grease will likely make things stick. You can also apply it to the cam surface that the tabs ride on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Daral View Post
    Is solving this problem just lubrication? Is there an adjustment if lubricating them doesn't get the tabs to fully retract?

The pictures are a big help. Thanks
    You can also bend these two tabs some to make them pull in more. Make sure you understand how the mechanism works before bending.

Screenshot_20240104_145820_Gallery.jpg

15. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    got mine greased up, dang it's a challenge to get that ring back on!

Todd

17. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    got mine greased up, dang it's a challenge to get that ring back on!

Yeah, it is a bit of a balancing act trying to reassemble.

19. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just greased mine with white lithium grease. It solved the problem. Thanks everyone.

21. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Group,
    As mentioned the clicking sound is the tabs that lock/unlock the mechanism. Some of the assemblies don't always retract well and the clicking you hear(even when not activated) is the left turn tab making contact with the machined aluminum hub. This won't create any issues and was deemed "normal operating" in the past, but we're working on a solution for this for the current batches of signal assemblies. Our solution will hopefully also solve not having to send in your aluminum FFR steering hub for machining. i.e: we'll just start making the steering hub with the appropriate machining to stop the clicking.
    In the meantime, the light grease solution(not heavy as mentioned) should alleviate the clicking. We've done that on several assemblies with success when we bench test the electrical.

Thanks,
    -TJ
    www.mountain-metalworks.com

23. Likes bill1982, Jonathan D liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm Not trying to hijack the thread but it seems like the question regarding clicking was answered. I have a different issue. When I push the turn stalk up to in a swift fluid motion 9 out of 10 times the turn signal does not engage. If I push it up slowly and wait for the turn signal to start blinking and then push it up the rest of the way it usually works. Has anyone else had this issue and know of a fix?

Thanks Craig
    MKIV, Coyote Gen3, TKO 500

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Craig,
    Do you know about how long ago your signal was purchased from Russ? I know there was a batch of VW signals that he was concerned about and stopped using in the past. They were from a different manufacturer at the time.
    I believe your issue has to do with those same internal tabs that can cause the clicking. I don't want to make it sound like greasing those tabs is a solution for everything, like a Windows computer fix(did you try rebooting it???), but I know it helps. It's why we're disassembling and greasing every unit that goes out now.

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe I had one of the ones from the old supplier and had issues with it and Russ swapped it out for the newer model. I will try the grease and see what happens. Appreciate the quick reply.
    MKIV, Coyote Gen3, TKO 500

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain-Metalworks View Post
    Hey Group,
    As mentioned the clicking sound is the tabs that lock/unlock the mechanism. Some of the assemblies don't always retract well and the clicking you hear(even when not activated) is the left turn tab making contact with the machined aluminum hub. This won't create any issues and was deemed "normal operating" in the past, but we're working on a solution for this for the current batches of signal assemblies. Our solution will hopefully also solve not having to send in your aluminum FFR steering hub for machining. i.e: we'll just start making the steering hub with the appropriate machining to stop the clicking.
    In the meantime, the light grease solution(not heavy as mentioned) should alleviate the clicking. We've done that on several assemblies with success when we bench test the electrical.

Thanks,
    -TJ
    This is excellent news, looking forward to getting my hands on one of these when they are ready. Keep up the great work TJ!