Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: locating/planning a defroster vent without the body

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

locating/planning a defroster vent without the body

I'm on the fence about putting in a defroster vent, I have heat & A/C and there's room on the driver side for a vent, but probably not the passenger side without creating a whole new vent and space is at a super premium...
    is there a guideline on how much 'hose' should be used to locate the vent? I know in general you want the hose as taught as possible to reduce airflow disturbances

has anyone done just a driver side defroster? I know it's a roadster, but my buddy the other night used his defroster because the dewpoint got low enough to fog up his inner windshield and it helped tremendously

also, if a soft (or hard) top goes on in the future, it would probably be beneficial as well
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Almost every one I've done has a functional defrost vent on the driver's side only and a non-functional grill on the passenger side. The heater box &/or glove box usually makes it virtually impossible to get a hose on a boot on the passenger side.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, is the heater box in the way for a functional passenger side defrost vent with the FFR heater installed per the instructions? If so, what do you do with the top passenger side box output? I’m about to pull the trigger on the FFR heater/defrost kit this week as other kits don’t have the box outputs on the side which is all we have room for, right?

Toadster, glad you started the thread.
    BUDFIVE
    Complete kit order 8/28/2023
    347 Ford Dyno 10/12/2023
    Kit Delivery 11/28/2023

4. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    North Racecars sells a plenum to solve this issue https://northracecars.com/heat_ac.html. Scroll down the page on the link.
    I made my own adapter to allow defrost on the passenger side.

HTH
    Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mk4 base kit 7721, 331 Stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, Wipers, Heater, Whitby Soft Top, Drop trunk mod and more

6. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BUDFIVE View Post
    Jeff, is the heater box in the way for a functional passenger side defrost vent with the FFR heater installed per the instructions? If so, what do you do with the top passenger side box output? I’m about to pull the trigger on the FFR heater/defrost kit this week as other kits don’t have the box outputs on the side which is all we have room for, right?
    I installed the heater but did not put in the defrost vents. I cut off two outputs and then formed a block off plate out of AL and riveted into place with sealer to the openings.
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

8. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got the North Racecars plenum ... works well and makes the defrost vent openings much less mentally contentious.

10. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    will check with the painter/body guy (KenP) about the North Racecars plenum - looks like that may work!!!

Thanks guys!!
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BUDFIVE View Post

Toadster, glad you started the thread.
    I capped off my unused port with a large rubber end cap.
    can't remember the exact OD of the port but something similar to this.
    https://www.amazon.com/Prescott-Plas...89&sr=8-3&th=1

13. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think a lot depends on exactly how and where the heater box is mounted as well as what defroster boot you're using. The ones that point straight down are generally a no-go. I had a North Racecars plenum supplied by one owner and due to conflict I had to cut it up, reshape it and and then 'glass it all back together before fiberglassing it to the underside of the cowl. I use rubber Fernco test plugs to cap the unused heater box ports. You'll find them in the plumbing section of your local hardware store, Lowes, etc.

Jeff

15. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to install both on both sides as functional, but I have a custom heater box setup. Videos in my build thread below if interested.
    FFR3490 - MK2 Roadster: Yellow with black stripes, mildly built 5.0 with many upgrades/updates to come.

See my build here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...6mVHNS3FsRV76S

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrmotorsports55 View Post
    I was able to install both on both sides as functional, but I have a custom heater box setup. Videos in my build thread below if interested.
    wow love the innovation in your setup, I'm subscribed to your youtube as well
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Much appreciated! Thanks!
    FFR3490 - MK2 Roadster: Yellow with black stripes, mildly built 5.0 with many upgrades/updates to come.

See my build here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...6mVHNS3FsRV76S