BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Looking for feedback on my build as I get started

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for feedback on my build as I get started

Hi All,

As I am moving through the first few months of my roadster build, I thought I would share my plans and see if there is any feedback from the group.

My background is that I am a software engineer (Aerospace degree originally) and have a pretty good amount of experience with cars but am no expert. I have a 1968 Corvette that I did a complete restomod with a Sniper injected 600hp 496 big block (from Blueprint engines) and a Tremec 5 speed. All suspension, brakes (Wilwood), cooling, wiring, interior, and drive train I modified and did the work myself. I’m super proud of it. Currently I have the suspension, steering, fuel tank and lines, brakes, and cockpit panels done. I am ejoying the heck out of it!

The roadster I am building is going to be for my wife as well. While I have driven my corvette for years, she has never driven a car like this, so I am concerned about it getting away from her even thought she will most likely drive it like an old lady. I will not be racing the car, and to be honest, I drive pretty calmly most of the time in my corvette other than some fun acceleration from time to time. I have learned some things from the Corvette that I want to make sure to implement with the roadster. I will point those out below. For my roadster I am planning a few things that will anger the purists, but I am used to that with my restomod Corvette.

Drive Train
    LS3 376ci from Blueprint Engines
    4l70e auto transmission from Blueprint Engines with the motor
    IRS rear end from FFR
    Paddle Shifters (haven’t decided which ones yet)
    Wilwood brakes from FFR
    Traction Control (RaceTCS seems to have a great system) – this is more of a safety thing of course

Interior
    Different high back seats (haven’t decided which ones yet)
    Heated seats
    Different carpet and door panels (Most likely custom – maybe from Intatrim)
    Dakota Digital gauges (I have them in my Corvette and love them)
    Carbon dash from FFR
    Cup holders in trans tunnel (I miss those on my Corvette)
    USB chargers on the dash
    A pocket for my phone (It flies all over in the Corvette)
    Stereo using a Bluetooth Amp driven from my phone
    Push button start

Other
    Expanding the trunk for more room
    18x9 front and 18x11 back wheels (Not from FFR)
    Electronic parking brake (eStopp)
    Powder coated footwell and fender wells (etc) for a super clean engine compartment

I think that’s about it. Any thoughts or feedback is welcome. For the stranger items I tried to show why those, but feel free to ask if they don’t make sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Intatrim Stoneleigh high back seats. I got some custom designed and it was a great process. Got them heated too. If you go the custom route, they can also ship you some extra material (whatever you end up choosing) to use for covering other areas of the interior so it all matches. I got a 1/2 hide and plan to cover the trans tunnel, shifter & e-brake boots, and also got Herb to make some door cards with it (with the carbon fiber insert to match the dash). Make it your own! I'm considering replacing the stock black carpet with a nice dark gray. I also have the carbon fiber dash and I love the way it looks. Good luck!

Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

3. Likes Lidodrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a couple of things....IMO

1: Ditch the stereo. A lot of expense for something you can't hear. Search the forum and you will see a mulitiude of builders that will agree. Bluetooth from your phone to ear buds may work.
    2: A 376 cu.in. is a lot of engine in this light of car. If your worried about your wife and safety you may want to rethink that and go with less cu.in.

But having said that, this is your build so build it the way you want!
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a great build. I agree, ditch the stereo as it's useless.

Love the LS3, it's a great engine. Lots of power, drives great, and fits well. And don't let anyone give you crap about it not being a Ford, the original cars were built by AC Cars in the UK. Nothing Ford about them.
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a fun build, and the BP LS3 is a great package. They told me they're about 6-7 months out for delivery, so you may want to give them a call if you haven't already.

None of these builds are "pure" so the LS3 doesn't make it any less so.

Post Thanks / Like
    I talked to BluePrint when I was shopping for engines several months back. The LS3 they sold at the time did not use GM heads and did not have 100% compatible parts with GM heads. You might ask a few questions when you talk to them as things do change. I purchased the Chevrolet Performance LS376-480 long block. Several vendors have them in stock now. I will need to swap the oil pan and add in front drive components. Be sure to consult the FFR LS installation documents regard LS engine installation.
    ----------------------------------------------

Jeff
    Roadster delivered 8/27/23
    Chevrolet Performance LS3
    Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I'd suggest is perhaps moving the USB chargers to an under dash panel. That would keep the dash more clean for whatever style you're going for. Plus the under dash panel will make a happy and accessible home for your push button start box.

Oh; start a build thread. You'll find it VERY helpful in the shakedown phase (now how did I wire that fuel pump again?). They're lots of fun for us to read, too!

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

9. Likes Nigel Allen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a cool build, I particularly like the idea of adding traction control - I will be interested to hear how that goes.

With regards to the stereo: there are plenty of people who think it is useless, but there are also some of us who are really glad we installed one, including myself. I have no desire to debate the value of installing a stereo, but I am happy to share what I did if you are looking for ideas. I installed a Garmin Fusion marine stereo (https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/520066) and mounted the control box in the trunk and the small remote keypad on the transmission tunnel. For speakers I used 4" rounds in the footwells (below where the door hinges are) and 6" component speakers on the rear wall. By using component speakers, I was able to discretely place the drivers behind the seats, but more importantly, I was able to mount the tweeters up high and on the outside of the seats, just under the cowling edge. This creates great spatial separation. I did use an amp because I had one available. The sound is surprisingly good, even at speed, and I would absolutely do it again.

Below, you can see the tweeters are just above the outside edge of the seats and the drivers are pretty hidden. You can also see the remote on the transmission tunnel.

Enjoy the build!

James
    Mk4 Roadster #9974 - Picked Up 1/2021. Complete kit, Gen 2 Ford Coyote / TKX, IRS. Completed 9/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleDiver View Post
    4l70e auto transmission from Blueprint Engines with the motor
    Sorry, couldn't resist. Don't shoot me

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a note on the stereo.... I would 100% do it again. You absolutely can hear it, just not when your getting on the throttle. I have a 427 stroker with GasN side pipes and I love my stereo. Something to listen to while you are just cruising down the highway or at a red light. Mine is a bluetooth with four speakers and a small sub box.

Ted

13. Thanks SeattleDiver thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Bray View Post

Same. He lost me with an automatic tranny and a Chevy engine. I know the LS series is awesome (I've had several Vettes with them), but not for me in a Cobra. I'll happily follow along in the build thread, though...plenty of other bits of the project that are interesting, for sure. All the creative things people come up with is what makes this place so interesting.
    Last edited by gbranham; 01-05-2024 at 05:03 PM.
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Bray View Post

It did make me laugh. :-)
    If I need my 5-speed fix I will jump in my Corvette and ice my knees and ankles later.
    I probably should have mentioned that in my life I have broken 27 bones. Most of them in my ankles and ribs and blown both knees out.
    But thats a topic for over beer. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    I use my blue tooth stereo while cruising and while parked at cars & coffee after I've made the rounds and am just sitting in a chair next to the car.

Two speakers behind the seats, and two forward in speaker boxes below the door hinges with an amp mounted under the dash below the glovebox.

57A474EF-247D-4CE3-A0A0-4D70C266C4B6.jpeg

0C7452AB-F7C5-4A12-896E-17D70721CAF2.jpeg
    Last edited by RJD; 01-05-2024 at 05:25 PM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

17. Likes SeattleDiver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OB6 View Post
    Looks like a fun build, and the BP LS3 is a great package. They told me they're about 6-7 months out for delivery, so you may want to give them a call if you haven't already.

None of these builds are "pure" so the LS3 doesn't make it any less so.
    Yeah I talked to them about 2 1/2 weeks ago and found out about the lead time, so I placed my order then and there.
    My 496 was ready in just two months. Looks like I will eventually be blocked for a bit later in the spring, but that will give me time to tear the dash apart on my Corvette to replace the heater core that went out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleDiver View Post
    I probably should have mentioned that in my life I have broken 27 bones. Most of them in my ankles and ribs and blown both knees out.
    That's not really much of an excuse Evel Knievel hahaha