Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New style rear exhaust from FFR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

New style rear exhaust from FFR

FFR has in stock and ready to ship a new style rear exit exhaust. It is a spread setup vs. a center exit. What that means is that the exhaust tips are below the rear lights. The shape of the exhaust tip is similar to the tail lights. The pipes and tips are stainless. It should be listed in the online catalog very soon, but you don't need to wait for that, just call FFR.

I ordered today. I will post a picture when I get it.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the wide style exhaust with my kit a couple months ago. Jason sent me a picture back then. Maybe I can find it if you want it. I'm not anywhere close to mounting the exhaust yet. I can take some pictures of them if you want some not mounted on the car. I like their looks better than the center exit. John

Post Thanks / Like
    So maybe this is old news to some but I had no idea that FFR released a spread exit rear exhaust to replace the old LK center exit rear exhaust. Here is a picture of the driver's side in rough placement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does it use the kit mufflers? Part of Langs reasoning behind his was to replace the mufflers.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Doug, it does slip into the FFR mufflers. I am changing the FFR mufflers for Magnaflows...

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Olli, do the Magnaflows your talking about have the same deminsion as FFR mufflers with a center inlet and side exit?? If so and you wouldn't mind I would love to have the part Number.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought Lang's exhaust used the FFR mufflers, just replaced the side exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that LK offered the rear exhaust in two versions; to use with the FFR mufflers and with some Basanni (going from memory) mufflers. But it really doesn't matter anymore as it is no longer available.

Olli

bc33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan Golub emailed me a pdf link about the new rear exhaust, price $599. If I wasn't "forum technology" challenged I would have attached the link. Seems odd it's not on their "Parts Catalogue".

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR's part # is 33751. I really can't understand why it isn't listed in the on-line catalog.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck,

The FFR muffler case dimension is 4"X8"X13 1/2" with a total length of 19" You can pretty much replace it with any 4X9X14 (which is pretty much a standard size) that has a center/offset configuration. Magnaflows are reversible so there is no specific IN or OUT. Magnaflow 11225 is pretty much a dead ringer except for its total length of 20", but since the FFR exhuast pipes slip into the muffler who cares. Now, I wanted a shorter muffler as I have a cross brace for my bench seat mount that would interfere with a 14" muffler. So I went with a muffler with a dimension of 4X9X11 with an overall of 17" (Magnaflow # 11365) To orient correctly with the FFR rear exit exhaust I need to make up 2" in length. For that I will use a slip on connector (Walker 41956) cut to length.

Why Magnaflow? I like the free flow and of course the sound.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you sir!! I'll more than likely install the tail pipes today. If so I'll report my experience back to the group. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck, one thing that I did was flip the muffler to offset IN center OUT and bias the muffler towards the center of the chassis. Doing so keeps the muffler further away from the 2X2 outboard frame where I have my fuel lines/fuel pump and brake line on the driver's side and my main positive cable on the passenger side. I didn't care too much for the muffler to be positioned an inch or two from the fuel lines.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again Olli. I know what you mean and built a small heat shield and put Dyna Mat on it to deflect the heat. I routed my tail pipes yesterday and while I have everything loose will take another look to see if putting center out has any impact to their routing. These tail pipes, where the loop goes over the axles is darn close to the brake lines in the rear coners of the car - had to re-route but was able to do so w/o breaking any fittings. It just messed up the nice lines as originally bent. Have you installed tail pipes??

Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck I haven't mounted the FFR hangers yet. I just have the tailpipes hanging from ty-wraps right now. It would be nice if FFR could give at least a hint as to where they intended the hangers to go. I have yet to see any pictures from FFR that show the tailpipes on the HR chassis and I sure didn't get any written instructions. My body isn't back on yet, so I am hesitent to do anything too permanent with the placement of the tailpipes. I will play with them a little more today.

Chuck, could you post a picture or two of how you have the tailpipes placed? Especially where the pipes came close to your brake lines. This could help someone plan their brake lines with an alternate route.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck, I would like to see where you re-routed the brake lines. I plan on installing my brake lines soon and would love to plan ahead. Thanks for your posts on this issue. John

Post Thanks / Like
    Olli/John - I responded yesterday that I would send photos today but don't see that response here. I must have forgotten to hit the send button ?? Anyway, I talked to Brian today and asked if he would check with his engineers and ask what was the minimun clearance they would be confortable with in terms of brake lines to the tail pipes. Brian responded 1 to 1 1/2"s. Use your judgement, I again plan to fab a heat shield where I have concerns.
    John, what I did was just make a slight bend in the area (rear corners) where on one side I had made nice bends around the bolt for the 3-Link and the other side (right) I had put an expansion loop in the line I was able to move. Lastly, Brian e-mailed me 10 pages of photos and instructions that I believe will answer both of your questions. Tell me how to forward it or give him a call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian e-mailed me the instructions. I guess that someone forgot to put them in the box....I can see now where the hanger goes....that should be fun.

My brake lines are not even close to the rear exhaust pipes.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, with the instructions it will lower by about 3/4" from where mine are now (obviously hung in a different/wrong place). If 2"s is not even close I'll be in good shape too. I'll have to deal with the expansion loop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Chuck. I'll call Brian in the morning. They put the right-hand rod ends in my kit that go for the 818. We swapped but I only got one end. I guess I'll do the upper link tomorrow while I wait for the other end. When I got my wide exhaust a couple months ago, there were no instructions. Thanks again! John

Post Thanks / Like
    It was the GTM rod ends I got, not the 818. Sorry, too many kits to build in my head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I also used the Magnaflow mufflers and they sound cool on a Flathead. The exhaust outlets and location look familiar

Henry