FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coupe Build- Initial tie rod/rack width question

Post Thanks / Like

Coupe Build- Initial tie rod/rack width question

The coupe manual says to set up your initial tie width on the rack at 53-1/16" from center to center of the tie rod bolts. However, when I do this, it is extremely toed-in.

2024-01-13 09.17.55.jpg

Looking at the spindle arms (attached to the outer tie rod), it looks like mine have a greater offset than the one in the manual (below). The gap between the rotor and the tie rod appears bigger in the FF manual than in my install.

Image1.jpg

Any thoughts or help? Thanks. I realize I can just unthread the tie rods further, but I am curious whether I have a something wrong or an incorrect part.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to see with such a small picture - but the initial setting is just that... initial. You also don't appear to have the suspension loaded and set to ride height. I wouldn't worry too much about this until you are ready for initial alignment. The main thing to worry about is to ensure the rack is centered in respect to the rotation - equal turns to the left and right and the steering wheel hub is centered.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you click on the photos, they get bigger. Sorry, I need to figure out how to post photos better here.

Thanks, I did center the rack, and you're correct on the rest. It just seems so far off I was concerned. I'll just go forward with it. I am moving houses and will have to roll it very "toe in" onto a trailer.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you get it on the ground you can eyeball it straight and just turn the tie rods - no need to fight with a toe in condition - makes it too hard to push.

When I said small picture - i meant you are not showing all of the front end - so maybe I should have said too close in.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)