Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  18

Thread: Running hard lines through trans tunnel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've thought about this for some time, too, because fundamentally the mechanicals are identical between the Coupe and Roadster, yet the lines are typically mounted in the tunnel for the Coupe...

After thinking it through and considering my skills at the moment, I decided on the "traditional" routing for my Roadster. What I'm planning to do to protect the lines from road debris is to add stainless wire wrap (tubing guard) like this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ops-gg3816ss

Craig C

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cc2Arider View Post
    I've thought about this for some time, too, because fundamentally the mechanicals are identical between the Coupe and Roadster, yet the lines are typically mounted in the tunnel for the Coupe...

Craig C
    Front and rear suspension are the same. Other than that, really very different. The Gen 3 Coupe has the space frame. There are rails completely across the bottom of the frame front to back. As someone stated, not possible to run fuel, brake, or power other than through the tunnel without having them below the frame. Which would be even higher risk. Not the best picture. But shows how different the Gen 3 Coupe chassis is to the Roadster. I have the front to back runs at the top of the tunnel and a driveshaft safety loop.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cc2Arider View Post
    What I'm planning to do to protect the lines from road debris is to add stainless wire wrap (tubing guard)...
    I'm assuming you are not using the kit-provided tubing but bending your own? It would be the only way to use tube armor like you are planning unless you cut off one of the already installed ends to slip the armor on. If not, and if you haven't already purchased the tubing and armor, I recommend going directly to The Stop Shop for both.

Running brake/fuel lines traditionally on the outside works and does not look half bad.

Fuel.Lines.jpg