Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: Le Mans - anyone gone?

Post Thanks / Like

Le Mans - anyone gone?

Hello FFR Family
    I have an opportunity to go to Le Mans 2024 as part of a BMW M VIP package. Includes general entry, catering, paddock tour, grid walk,... As you would expect it isn't cheap, 5000 Euros. Seems like a chance of a lifetime in some ways but I'm hesitant as the "view of the race itself" is kind of limited in my mind.... Has anyone done anything like this? thoughts?

Cheers
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not been to Le Mans (would LOVE to!) but I have been to F1 in Austin as a guest of one of the F1 teams (wife works for one of their sponsors). We had access to the team suite above the garage, as well as a paddock tour, "grid walk" etc. You're correct that the view of the race itself from the stands is very limited. We all went out to the stands to watch the start, and then all went back in to the suite to watch the race on television (plus that's where all the food and drinks were ). We'd pop back out when one of the drivers pitted, as we were able to watch from directly above. Other than that, my personal opinion is that watching a race entirely from the stands would be rather boring compared to watching in TV (heresy to some, I know...)
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

3. Likes sread, J R Jones, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been to both oval (NASCAR and Indy) and road races (CART) and will never go to another road race again. My seat location likely was a big part of my disappointment as I was siting in a very slow part of the course and watched the follow the leader at 30mph.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

5. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went to the Indy 500 in 1976. I'll never forget it! Was amazing! I was 10 years old. We sat in the 2nd row of corner 3. Something I'll never forget.

I'd 100% go to Le Mons.
    MK3 Challenge Car, Boss 347, Sniper 2 EFI

7. Likes FF33rod liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Been to Le Mans many times in the eighties/nineties when Jaguar, Mercedes, Peugeot etc battled out group C.. magic times.

Drive there in my GT40 replica and drove the short circuit in ‘92 on a private track event. If you ever have a chance you must take it!! I’ve done it cheap and expensive.. but it has a magic that few tracks have, especially in US.

Happy to chat about it here or on DM or phone..
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

9. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I have not been to Le Mans (would LOVE to!) but I have been to F1 in Austin as a guest of one of the F1 teams (wife works for one of their sponsors). We had access to the team suite above the garage, as well as a paddock tour, "grid walk" etc. You're correct that the view of the race itself from the stands is very limited. We all went out to the stands to watch the start, and then all went back in to the suite to watch the race on television (plus that's where all the food and drinks were ). We'd pop back out when one of the drivers pitted, as we were able to watch from directly above. Other than that, my personal opinion is that watching a race entirely from the stands would be rather boring compared to watching in TV (heresy to some, I know...)
    Been to Montreal Grand Prix many years ago. Was invited by one of my supplier. They had a fantastic place over the garages. It was a very warm day. We were under huge umbrellas and I was looking at the grandstand and thinking: "Man, they are all gonna melt!". Food and drinks were superb! But...boy was it boring! You see the cars go by in a flash and then nothing until next passage...So...I prefer to be at home and watch on tv...But that's just me.

11. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Hello FFR Family
    I have an opportunity to go to Le Mans 2024 as part of a BMW M VIP package. Includes general entry, catering, paddock tour, grid walk,... As you would expect it isn't cheap, 5000 Euros. Seems like a chance of a lifetime in some ways but I'm hesitant as the "view of the race itself" is kind of limited in my mind.... Has anyone done anything like this? thoughts?

Cheers
    Steve
    Steve

Hi! I have only been to the Classic Le Mans and several times at that – but then it is easy for me, hop over the Channel and just drive down! Brilliant! Nothing like a Cobra on open pipes, sun shining and French roads have no cars on them!

Question 1 for me is where is your accommodation? On site or off site?

Question 2 is whether your VIP package includes Grandstand seating, if so, where? Maybe you are in a Corporate Box or something, again do you know where? I guess you will be near the Start/Finish straight.

Question 3 is how much of the 24 hours do you want to see? How free are you to come and go as you please?

Question 4 is what would you enjoy seeing? The Track is 8.5 miles long, so seeing it all will require some considerable effort and stamina. It is even further walking around the outside! I am not sure you can actually walk right around the track either outside or inside! Last year, we were camping at Porsche Curves and we walked 10 miles in a day just looking around the paddock, walking to a restaurant near the first Mulsanne Straight chicane and back to the campsite!

Start and Finish is an obvious choice.
    Pit Stops could be exciting.
    Dunlop Bridge Chicane is good if you enjoy seeing the cars sliding about/getting it wrong etc (my favourite spot).
    Mulsanne straight is good if you like to see cars going by at 200 + mph?
    Tetre Rouge is good at night – red hot brake discs etc.
    I have never been to Arnage or that end of the circuit.

Viewing points are strictly controlled, you can’t just go where you want any more. Most of the circuit is on closed off public roads, don’t forget!

Where there is commentary, it is in French of course, although there are routine interruptions with mini-commentaries in English. With the noise of the cars, not easy to hear it anyway, so knowing who is where is difficult.

It will be very busy, you won’t be the only one there, but the atmosphere will be great and that is regardless of the racing. If you are routing for a particular team, that will add a lot to the occasion.

Useful phrases:
    Une biere s’il vous plait
    Encore une biere s’il vous plait.
    Vin blanc = white wine
    Vin rouge = red wine
    Steack hache = Hamburger
    Frites = French fries
    Pizza = Pizza!

You shouldn’t need anything else! Enjoy!

Ian

13. Likes FF33rod, RoadRacer, Tom Veale, Geoff H liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished the 24 Hours of Lemons P37 out of 99 in a Dodge Caravan at Thunderhill. It's practically the same thing as Le Mons.

Meallicarvan3.jpg

15. Likes FF33rod, Tom Veale, sread, Geoff H liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave 53 View Post
    Just finished the 24 Hours of Lemons P37 out of 99 in a Dodge Caravan at Thunderhill. It's practically the same thing as Le Mons.

Meallicarvan3.jpg
    I think I'm somewhere north of 14 Lemons races over the past 20 years or so.
    MK4, 427LS3, IRS, T56 Magnum, Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Its Bruce View Post
    I think I'm somewhere north of 14 Lemons races over the past 20 years or so.
    I'd love to do lemons! Not really sure how to get started. I'd like to start with getting on a local team.
    MK3 Challenge Car, Boss 347, Sniper 2 EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by john42 View Post
    I'd love to do lemons! Not really sure how to get started. I'd like to start with getting on a local team.
    I too thought the way to start was to find a local team. Actually, what worked for me was to do an arrive and drive first. After that performance, an established local team offered me a seat for the next California race in May. We'll see if that turns into, "you're on the team!"

Zac's Vannonball team is a great rookie driver arrive and drive experience. He can be found on the 24 Hours of Lemons Facebook Page OkStupid:Lemons Team Builder / Arrive & Drive Matchmaker.https://www.facebook.com/groups/308871917387966 I couldn't find a way to make Lemons happen without setting up a Facebook page (I'm Dave Allegedly on FB)

Check the Lemons schedule and find a race you can make. See if Zac or some other team that looks good to you is looking for drivers for that race. Or let it be known you're looking for a seat for a particular race and they will come to you.

Having an arrive and drive race under your belt (hopefully without any black flags) will give you more options and insight on what to do next. That rookie A&D experience seems to be well respected "as the way to do it."
    Last edited by Dave 53; 02-27-2024 at 08:08 PM.