BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: AC bracketing issues

Post Thanks / Like

AC bracketing issues

Just to vent for a moment…….
    Working on mounting radiator, ac condenser to grill with FFR supplied bracketing
    If you know, you know…..
    I WILL win this battle…..but man oh man…….no fun!

2. Likes Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes PITA! I suggest you make the suggested hole sizes one drill size larger (1/64 or 1/32) it will give you the extra wiggle room to get the bolts in. My condenser's pipes were all one piece instead of the 2 extensions like in the manual. I had to relieve the grill in a couple places so the pipes wouldn't rub. The instructions are for a Gen 1. Two of the brackets are angled. If I remember, there are T's cut in the 2 top ones and the angled ones are left and right specific. I also used Mike Everson's fan shroud which added another degree of difficulty.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech5 View Post
    Yes PITA! I suggest you make the suggested hole sizes one drill size larger (1/64 or 1/32) it will give you the extra wiggle room to get the bolts in. My condenser's pipes were all one piece instead of the 2 extensions like in the manual. I had to relieve the grill in a couple places so the pipes wouldn't rub. The instructions are for a Gen 1. Two of the brackets are angled. If I remember, there are T's cut in the 2 top ones and the angled ones are left and right specific. I also used Mike Everson's fan shroud which added another degree of difficulty.
    You are exactly right my friend. PITA
    Ended up with multiple holes,and some elongated ones also!
    Had to relieve the mounting areas on the grill due to the whole setup being wider than the space allowed. Also, from talking to the tech at FFR, the spacers are to be located differently also!
    Wider holes and losing the nutserts worked out better for me. Used 1/4 20 locknuts to get it set up.
    I didn’t do a shroud……yet. I’ll see how it works out without it to start off with.

Post Thanks / Like
    With a shroud, the position of the grill in relation to the side engine and hood panels are more difficult to get right. The grill will be more tilted back and slightly more forward. I had to extend the front of the nosecone about an inch and a half as have a few others. That makes the side panels a bit too tall because as you tilt the grill back it makes the vertical distance shorter. Then it tells you to sand the lower edges of the hood to get your gaps but you end up sanding the rounded lower part down too far. It took me most of last summer to get everything right. Have fun!
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mastertech5;547882]With a shroud, the position of the grill in relation to the side engine and hood panels are more difficult to get right. The grill will be more tilted back and slightly more forward. I had to extend the front of the nosecone about an inch and a half as have a few others. That makes the side panels a bit too tall because as you tilt the grill back it makes the vertical distance shorter. Then it tells you to sand the lower edges of the hood to get your gaps but you end up sanding the rounded lower part down too far. It took me most of last summer to get everything right. Have fun![/QUOTE

I’m feeling the anxiety build already!!

Post Thanks / Like
    For us RHD guys on the other side of the world, there is a further complexity in that the condensor needs to be flipped so the piping exits on the other side of the grill. This meant custom brackets had to be fabricated. It took a few iterations in mild steel to get right before I committed to a set in S/S.
    All part of the 'fun' of building a custom car!

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Guy G;547934]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech5 View Post
    With a shroud, the position of the grill in relation to the side engine and hood panels are more difficult to get right. The grill will be more tilted back and slightly more forward. I had to extend the front of the nosecone about an inch and a half as have a few others. That makes the side panels a bit too tall because as you tilt the grill back it makes the vertical distance shorter. Then it tells you to sand the lower edges of the hood to get your gaps but you end up sanding the rounded lower part down too far. It took me most of last summer to get everything right. Have fun![/QUOTE

I’m feeling the anxiety build already!!
    Guy,

Don't stress, it's all good. This community is here to help.

This build is a bucket list item for you and all of us who have done it, take the frustrations, challenges and the successes and cherish them all. It will be worth it in the end.

Just remember, in life we can only do one second at a time, one minute at a time, one hour at a time, one day at a time, that's all anyone can do. Don't stress about what's to come.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

9. Likes Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=33fromSD;547939]
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy G View Post

Guy,

Don't stress, it's all good. This community is here to help.

This build is a bucket list item for you and all of us who have done it, take the frustrations, challenges and the successes and cherish them all. It will be worth it in the end.

Just remember, in life we can only do one second at a time, one minute at a time, one hour at a time, one day at a time, that's all anyone can do. Don't stress about what's to come.

Jim
    I get it Jim!
    Been doing cars and bikes for about 40 years now.
    3/4 of the fun is figuring out the solutions!
    I mostly have more fun building than driving…..but I get a sense that I’m gonna love driving this one!

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Guy G;548002]
    Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post

I get it Jim!
    Been doing cars and bikes for about 40 years now.
    3/4 of the fun is figuring out the solutions!
    I mostly have more fun building than driving…..but I get a sense that I’m gonna love driving this one!
    Yes you will Guy, my wife and I have multiple classics and some newer sports cars and the two we love driving the most are the 33HR & our 55 Ford F100 Truck (resto mod). The others are great too, but the two I mentioned are just fun to drive and draw attention no matter where we go.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread