Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Wilwoods vs C6 Z06 brake upgrade

Post Thanks / Like

Wilwoods vs C6 Z06 brake upgrade

Wilwoods vs C6 Z06.

Pros and Cons from people who have experience. Give me your thoughts....

Post Thanks / Like
    From a performance standpoint, I can't give much feedback since these are brand new customer cars that I'm building and it's not like I can push the limits of these cars during a test drive.....and while I'm test driving, the brakes aren't even bedded yet, so I never get a real clear picture of what their performance will be like. From a purchase/design/installation standpoint, here are my thoughts:

Not sure what current pricing is, but that was the biggest advantage of the C6 brakes.....last I compared them, you could get a full C6 brake setup for around $2500 if memory serves.....while the equivalent Wilwood set up ran closer to $3500.

The C6 calipers are HUGE and effect wheel fitment much more than the Wilwoods.

The C6 rotors are like boat anchors....extremely heavy....but they are all one-piece casting.

The Wilwood rotors are a 2-piece design that requires assembly and safety wire. The fronts aren't bad, but the rear rotors with the integrated parking brake drum are NOT fun to safety wire as you are doing all of the safety wire down inside this narrow little channel between the outer rotor disc and the inner brake drum.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    We are currently running a StopTech C5/6 package on the race car because the pads are "race standard" and we got a good deal on the calipers. That said, we ran the "big brake" GM stuff for quite some time. Running front calipers all the way around. They worked fine, even at the 25 hour long events, but the dust boots would deteriorate quickly and had to be constantly replaced due to the sustained high heat exposure. If you are not going to be racing long events and you don't care about having a "name brand" caliper showing through the rims, then there is no problem running the big GM calipers. Quite a bit cheaper and I would say they are the "best bang for the buck".

Pad selection and fluid used is where you will really pick up performance.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

4. Likes VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC liked this post