Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: IRS for 33 hot rod

Post Thanks / Like

IRS for 33 hot rod

Want to buy a IRS kit for the 33 hot rod

Post Thanks / Like
    there really isn't a kit for IRS. Unless your frame was set up for it. If it had the IRS option then you can get the finish parts from lots of sources. Ford, FFR junk yards etc.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Your request is imprecise. Do you want the parts that FFR supplies (ask FFR) or the differential, etc. that are from a 2015 Mustang (try Mike Forte or rebuild junkyard salvage parts)?

Also, be aware that FFR modifies the Hot Rod chassis to accommodate the IRS. Adapting an IRS to a 3/4 link chassis would require some significant fabrication. Some prior (highly skilled) builders have adapted a Tesla and a BMW M3 IRS into the standard chassis so it is possible, but not frequently done.

HTH, Keith HR #894

Oops, I didn't see Mike's comments before posting. Sorry for the redundancy.
    Last edited by progmgr1; 02-04-2024 at 06:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    there really isn't a kit for IRS. Unless your frame was set up for it. If it had the IRS option then you can get the finish parts from lots of sources. Ford, FFR junk yards etc.
    Mike
    Thanks for answering Michael,
    I have the 3 link setup.
    I thought there was a kit to buy that could be mounted at the frame to support the Ford IRS.
    Was the whole frame different for IRS setup?

Post Thanks / Like
    The IRS chassis is different from behind the cockpit to the back end. There are some decent drawings and photos in the section of the Hot Rod Build Manual about the IRS installation. If you don't have a build manual, you can download a copy from the FFR website for a nominal fee.

Keith HR #894 (also a Gen I)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    The IRS chassis is different from behind the cockpit to the back end. There are some decent drawings and photos in the section of the Hot Rod Build Manual about the IRS installation. If you don't have a build manual, you can download a copy from the FFR website for a nominal fee.

Keith HR #894 (also a Gen I)
    Thanks Keith,

I do have a build manual but its from before the IRS was available, I think my HR is #513 if i remember correct, so I will try to download a copy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have some IRS parts for Cobra. Some will work, not sure about control arms or toe links. A friend of mine did retrofit IRS on his 3 link Cobra.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...obra-IRS-Parts