Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: ECUs sti, fxt, wrx

Post Thanks / Like

ECUs sti, fxt, wrx

OK, long story short....immobilizer. You get it. Moving on, lol.

I'm working with a 2006 WRX.

Jeff S pointed me to a 2004 STI ecu, as they use the same harness as a 2006 wrx, but no immobilizer.
    Bob G explained that he uses the 2004 forester FXT ecu, also no immobilizer and a few wires to snip and flip (about a dozen by my count, thanks to Jeff's excellent chart).

Both gents very trustworthy, imo, so I'm excited about the advice. Just a couple questions I want some eyeballs on:

In 2004, the forester was auto transmission only, I think. Is that something I even need to consider, or if I do need to consider it, can I handle it with a tactrix like I did the air pumps?

I think before I do the final button-up of the wiring, I'm going to pick up one of the AGT Subaru interfaces and a coach 1 body harness. Will that change any considerations or advice given?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually had Bob’s spare Forrester ECU when I was fighting my immobilizer. The pin-outs between the 2006 WRX and the Forrester are very different. I made a spreadsheet to figure it all out. I’ll email it to you when I get home from church. I even bought female ECU sockets and some male ECU connectors from a junkyard so I could make a “swap harness” without cutting my factory harness. If I have not thrown that box of parts away you are welcome to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, very likely I misunderstood then. This was in the Facebook group, and the ordering of threads and replies does lead me to confusion more often than not, it seems.

Any help you have here would be awesome. I have to do some clutch amd suspension work on my hyundai, ao I'm trying to get this thing moving under its own power again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    OK, long story short....immobilizer. You get it. Moving on, lol.

I'm working with a 2006 WRX.

Jeff S pointed me to a 2004 STI ecu, as they use the same harness as a 2006 wrx, but no immobilizer.
    Bob G explained that he uses the 2004 forester FXT ecu, also no immobilizer and a few wires to snip and flip (about a dozen by my count, thanks to Jeff's excellent chart).

Both gents very trustworthy, imo, so I'm excited about the advice. Just a couple questions I want some eyeballs on:

In 2004, the forester was auto transmission only, I think. Is that something I even need to consider, or if I do need to consider it, can I handle it with a tactrix like I did the air pumps?

I think before I do the final button-up of the wiring, I'm going to pick up one of the AGT Subaru interfaces and a coach 1 body harness. Will that change any considerations or advice given?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    I actually had Bob’s spare Forrester ECU when I was fighting my immobilizer. The pin-outs between the 2006 WRX and the Forrester are very different. I made a spreadsheet to figure it all out. I’ll email it to you when I get home from church. I even bought female ECU sockets and some male ECU connectors from a junkyard so I could make a “swap harness” without cutting my factory harness. If I have not thrown that box of parts away you are welcome to them.
    The 2004 Forester came in auto or Manual. My 04fxt donor was an auto. I just flashed to to a manual using the tactrix cable.
    turbomacncheese, I thought your donor was an wrx STI which has a very similar harness to a 2004 STI and 2004 FXT.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, wrx. Well, saab 92x aero...
    rebadged wrx. I think it was Jeff that suggested the 2004 STI would plug in without too much hassle to the 2006 WRX harness.

So I think the map was like this: 2006 wrx = 2006 STI, 2006 STI = 2004 STI, therefore 2006 wrx = 2004 STI. And of course by "=" I don't mean equal at all, just swap with minimal work.

At this point I'm really not afraid of cutting wires anymore, lol.

Good to know I can flash the transmission to manual, so that's awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    If I have not thrown that box of parts away you are welcome to them.
    If it's not too much trouble, that would be awesome. Wife has reminded me that I'm a little deep on projects, so maybe I should take whatever shortcuts I can find for a while. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    If it's not too much trouble, that would be awesome. Wife has reminded me that I'm a little deep on projects, so maybe I should take whatever shortcuts I can find for a while. Thanks.
    I go to my storage unit on Monday and look for them.